"Forgettable, Repetitive": Early Reviews Aren't Kind on Anthem

Early ' reviews' are flawed.
I know for Octopath traveler there was some shitty negative reviews early on... But these are people blasting thru the game for 16 or more hours in a row, in a compressed time line... That is no way to enjoy a game, let alone a game like Octopath.... that is working..., and will taste like working... Hence a lot if the negative points Ive read for Octopath weren't really there, if you play it one two maybe three hours at a time like most people will.
One of the things mentioned in the negative reviews for Octopath was 'repetitive' .. its not. I see the same is being leveraged against this game, I wonder if reviewers are doing the same playing 16hours at once so on, so its going to taste like work.

Too many games released these days, though well made, are sequels and or come from unoriginal story-lines/franchises so I think there was much hope for ANTHEM as there is a deep hunger for something new and refreshing.

Moving forward, ANTHEM is a beta for ANTHEM 2.

Kinda bummed out about this. I really wanted Anthem to succeed as it does seem like a PvE focused game.
I'll be over here enjoying a polished bug free Destiny 2 that I started with zero investment last December when it was free.

But that's just the base game :(

If Anthem has the same problem as vanilla destiny 1 and 2, then DLC will probably be coming very soon as base content is limited.

If Anthem DLC is free, it can grow quite fast when released.

Raimbow 6 Siege has 2 free DLC's a year. While player count drops dramatically after the first week of the new DLC, it does keep people coming back.

I played in the Alpha test and i didn't like how it played then and to me the story realy did suck.....im glad i played the Alpha before making the purchase.....its was not appealing to me at all. Other people may love it and thats fine but i won't play it ever. Thats just my opinion and how I feel personally. I'm not here to persuade someone to buy or not. I just didn't like the game.

Let us consider the sources and then remember that gaming journalism is just as bad as mainstream journalism these days.
Giving 80-90% positive reviews keeps the lights on. Good gaming journalism died many years ago.

Well maybe they will patch it up in the next 6 months or so.

Got it for free with a vid card so not like it cost me cash.

So the one game that ignored multiplayer and focused on story has sold how many copies so far?? And its a fucking Western....Grand Theft Horse......meanwhile, more lootshooters are no doubt on their way with cleverly tweaked mathematical formulas to hook us that simply can't lose.....Said BethesdEAWare.......

I have been having fun! Though I got the game for free.

I watched itmeJP. Gassy and Strippin play it on twitch and some of the story was really disappointing, especially the ending. Overall seems a bit slow for me, but if the multiplayer turns out like Warframe's then I'm sure people will have fun.

This is a good game at its heart that let's stupid shit get in the way. The load times are fucking inexcusable in this day and age and I'm shocked shit like forcing a zone reload when you "exit" the mission area made it past a focus group.

Other things

• Where o where are you fov slider
  • Turning motion blur off does not actually turn motion blur off.
  • Turning chromatic aberration of also doesn't do what it says.
  • Sli is broken.(for a game that is in bed with nvidia this is a joke)
  • Can't turn hdr off in the settings(sucks for those with fake hdr displays)
  • Not having shared quest results is a rookie fuckup in multi-player game design.
  • Loading times......it cannot be understated how bad these are so I will mention it again. I have ssds and 32gb of ram with a system combo that is firmly in the enthusiast level of performance yet even I see load times approaching the 2 minute mark.
Now for the positives. The gameplay is really fun. You have no idea how much joy I get out of hulk smashing shit as a colossus and the amount of visual customization is incredible. They just need to fix that other shit.

Also, don't half ass your narrative, either go full boat or not at all, it's like they saw that warframe is successful riding mostly on codex entries and tried to Pigeon hole whatever they ran out of mocap budget for into a similar system. It's kinda disjointed.

If you actually read these reviews a good chunk of them hate the game purely on subjective "I don't think it should be done this way" arguments.
I guess I'm spoiled by [H] when I expect a review to be broken down objectively as much as humanly possible with the subjective a simple "this is what I feel take it with a grain of salt" attitude.

Who the fuck pays full price for a game "not structured around a full game release at launch."

Who finds that even remotely acceptable?

It could be worse you pay full price for a game and it never works and you get your money back :)

This is a good game at its heart that let's stupid shit get in the way. The load times are fucking inexcusable in this day and age and I'm shocked shit like forcing a zone reload when you "exit" the mission area made it past a focus group.

Other things

• Where o where are you fov slider
  • Turning motion blur off does not actually turn motion blur off.
  • Turning chromatic aberration of also doesn't do what it says.
  • Sli is broken.(for a game that is in bed with nvidia this is a joke)
  • Can't turn hdr off in the settings(sucks for those with fake hdr displays)
  • Not having shared quest results is a rookie fuckup in multi-player game design.
  • Loading times......it cannot be understated how bad these are so I will mention it again. I have ssds and 32gb of ram with a system combo that is firmly in the enthusiast level of performance yet even I see load times approaching the 2 minute mark.
Now for the positives. The gameplay is really fun. You have no idea how much joy I get out of hulk smashing shit as a colossus and the amount of visual customization is incredible. They just need to fix that other shit.

Also, don't half ass your narrative, either go full boat or not at all, it's like they saw that warframe is successful riding mostly on codex entries and tried to Pigeon hole whatever they ran out of mocap budget for into a similar system. It's kinda disjointed.
SLI is coming after launch. The rest is ... well... shit... Should have been fixed.

I picked it up on access since I can also try rtx BFV on that, one month should do me and 15$ isn't bad to try both anthem and bfv.

I'll pop some impressions later and try to be unbiased.

Hahahha! I was actually watching A_seagull's and AdmiralBuru's stream when that happened. It was hilarious watching this new fish flounder around and die left and right on the last mission. Fucking comedy.

Anthem is not structured around a full game release at launch with all the content available and if people disregard that you are jumping to conclusions.

Disregard that it's not a complete game for a complete game price and sometime over the next year it'll have potential to fill its own shoes?

I don't see conclusions being jumped to at all unless that's part of the content that's still to come.

So I finished the first actual mission, and I know that is not a lot, but I can generally tell what is good and what isn't within an hour.

SO is Anthem Good? Its pretty, the gameplay is fun, the voice acting is decent, and the controls relatively tight... BUT, it feels a lot like Destiny did, in all the ways Destiny felt wrong. So stripped out content for DLC garbage. If it survives a year it might be a great game, but for now its a 6/10 that should be a 8/10, but feels like a 3/10 because we are all getting fed up with the DLC, Lootbox, money grab tactics of big corporations.

Long and short, it is both a boon to consumers and a bad move for EA that this title is on their subscription service, because its going to be a enjoyable 10 hours followed by a never touch again (because for me, by the time the DLC hits I'll be long moved on, which means I have sadly missed all the best parts of Destiny 1 and 2).

"Repetitive."

Gee, what was that other game made by Bioware that falls under that same banner? Oh yea, Mass Effect Andromada

Anthem ... Andromeda

they both begin with an "An" so maybe there's a connection there somewhere :cautious:

The problem isn't the game. The game itself has a lot to offer and is quite enjoyable.

The issue is the min maxxer players who want the least amount of work for the max amount of attention.

Is no longer about the game,even the quality. The reviews are done in the merit of idiotic choices that steam roll to end game so they can be one of the first to say "yeah I got max level on day 1" just so they can attempt to garner Twitch followers and Youtube likes.

I'm betting not one did the actual quests, rep farming, seeking out the different pieces of story around the maps,nothing of that sort.

These prolapses don't play the game, they play for public attention.

Ever see many Twitch or YouTube players on Witcher 3 or many other A list titles that take a brain and effort? Nope, they prefer to hang like millennial wiggers screaming into webcams about the world not being how they want it.

It's worse. It's statistics and marketing.

If a reviewer says a game is good they are taking a risk of the game actually being good. If it flops they lose public face as a reviewer and once you lose that credibility in the "youtube" generation you don't really get it back.
If they say its crap and it turns out to be a great game they can say "patches and developers listening to their community" or cite "personal preferences" and maintain their "credibility".

would this still be a shitty game for anyone who hasn't played the preceding games or any of bioware's previous shit?

would this still be a shitty game for anyone who hasn't played the preceding games or any of bioware's previous shit?

It doesn't feel much like prior bioware games. It has a decent level of polish, but it's not really a RPG. It's got a bunch of story elements you can pay attention to, but at the end of the day this is just a fairly mindless 3rd person grind/shooter game. There isn't much to it really.

I've enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy it. It's really only worth playing if you've already got Origin Premier and can play it anyways.

I really miss bullfrog...

We all do buddy....we all do.

You forgot Origin. They killed Ultima Online back in 2001-2003 trying to make a diablo 2 loot clone, I will never forgive them. (Long live UO on free shards like UO LostLands and UO Outlands)

Origin has a special place in my heart, I spent many hours playing Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Privateer and Ultima.

I started playing it the other night.,
I've found some bugs, started one mission and everyone got it and then nothing happened
Had to quit out of the game and back in again
The strolling around the fort is brutal and soup like

However once out there doodling around. I had fun.
Find some other players, help them out in their fights etc. Good stuff
I like it. Will keep playing

Jesus gamers deserve what they get now a days since all they do is shit over everything. Nothing is good enough anymore, game has a shit load of flaws it shouldn't have at this point. But Destiny started off in worse shape than this game, and this game doesn't lock you out of content or force you to put together parties on 3rd party websites.

They've obviously held back content for the full release at this point since the Cataclysms are not enabled yet. But whatever trolls like Blade-Runner will continue to troll like they always do.

I've enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy it. It's really only worth playing if you've already got Origin Premier and can play it anyways.

^^This..Already have Premier, knew nothing about Anthem, some people talkin about it, ooo on Premier, did the demo, wasn't horrible, playing it now.

2 things I would fix right out of the gate:

1. Load times
2. And walking in town.

Otherwise, I am having fun with the game play.

^^This..Already have Premier, knew nothing about Anthem, some people talkin about it, ooo on Premier, did the demo, wasn't horrible, playing it now.

2 things I would fix right out of the gate:

1. Load times
2. And walking in town.

Otherwise, I am having fun with the game play.

This really is my only issues with it. I would add that matchmaking and joining a missing already in progress makes me quit and start over because I don't want to skip across content.

And people are already doing the destiny thing, skip fights and go straight to boss as quick as possible. Those are the ones that get to end game as quick as they can and then complain there is no content even though they went through it all before even an official release lol.

I do enjoy it, story is intriguing but I would rather not walk and talk to every single person or maybe make the area smaller. The gameplay and combat is a blast though.

For me it is like destiny but with an iron man suit mod lol.

This really is my only issues with it. I would add that matchmaking and joining a missing already in progress makes me quit and start over because I don't want to skip across content.

And people are already doing the destiny thing, skip fights and go straight to boss as quick as possible. Those are the ones that get to end game as quick as they can and then complain there is no content even though they went through it all before even an official release lol.

I do enjoy it, story is intriguing but I would rather not walk and talk to every single person or maybe make the area smaller. The gameplay and combat is a blast though.

For me it is like destiny but with an iron man suit mod lol.

So if you are doing one of the Strongholds specifically the Tyrant Mines, there are a few trash mobs a long the way in a couple of parts.......please for the love of god for the rest of the team don't stop and kill them. We had this one asshole last night...lvl 12, like 30 power or something. With 3x Lv25+ suits all with over 300 Power holding us up on hard diff. Literally took it from a 20min run to a 30 min run because that guy was a prick.

Back