Forget monoblocks, EK just launched its first multiblock!

erek

[H]F Junkie
1606798137622.png

"EK said it uses the purest nickel-plated copper available as the foundation for this crazy multiblock. The block also includes nickel-plated brass standoffs, which come pre-installed from the factory. The block top is fashioned from cast acrylic and features nickel and black accents.

EK is now taking pre-orders for the EK-Quantum Momentum AORUS Z490 Xtreme multiblock and intends to ship the first units on December 7."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7652...just-launched-its-first-multiblock/index.html

This might be a real solution to the age old problem of monoblocks to high is tolerancing.

They usually perform worse than CPU only blocks because you get a worse mount trying to make contact with both the CPU and VRM's in one block, than you would mating them separately.

I guess it depends on whether or not there is any play between the two parts of the block allowing it to make better contact.

This might be a real solution to the age old problem of monoblocks to high is tolerancing.

They usually perform worse than CPU only blocks because you get a worse mount trying to make contact with both the CPU and VRM's in one block, than you would mating them separately.

I guess it depends on whether or not there is any play between the two parts of the block allowing it to make better contact.
I like your parts choice. 3960X/EK FC/Watercool Pro IV. On an X399/TR1900X I run the copper Pro IV/two EK 45X420 rads/two Watercool 150mm res/D5pumps/ Watercool Ni VRM block/EK Radeon VII GPU block. Who had the seperate VRM block for your mobo? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the monoblocks don't fit.

Gotta hand it to EK, they're pretty darn good at marketing. Now if only their QC can be as good.

Yeah, that was how many years ago?

Get over it. It's not a thing anymore. Their QC is top notch

I like your parts choice. 3960X/EK FC/Watercool Pro IV. On an X399/TR1900X I run the copper Pro IV/two EK 45X420 rads/two Watercool 150mm res/D5pumps/ Watercool Ni VRM block/EK Radeon VII GPU block. Who had the seperate VRM block for your mobo? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the monoblocks don't fit.

I just use a CPU block. I have seen no need to cool the VRM's.

I have not actually confirmed monoblock tolerance issues, only the result. Every single monoblock I've ever seen has run the CPU a couple of degrees warmer than a corresponding CPU only block.

The tolerance stackup issue is an educated guess of mine having worked with medical devices containing boards and heatsinks in the past

If you're spending $180 on a water block, then you should have bought a better GPU with that money.
But what if you already have the top end card?! I do agree EK stuff is over priced. Haven't had issues with none of their blocks. Had 2 pumps die on me tho. The 3rd one has been chugging along with no issues for a while now.

But what if you already have the top end card?! I do agree EK stuff is over priced. Haven't had issues with none of their blocks. Had 2 pumps die on me tho. The 3rd one has been chugging along with no issues for a while now.

Which pumps?

I have three of their D5 G2 PWM pumps which have been working well for me.

EK is a mixed blessing as far as I am concerned. They did screw up big-time with their old nickel plating process and screwed over customers in the process, but that was over a decade ago at this point. They have improved their plating process since.

There was also the issue with their shitty under-dimensioned first gen Threadripper block. They took shortcuts to make it faster and cheaper. I think they assumed it would be a small seller and it wasn't worth the effort.

I have never had an issue with any of their blocks personally, but I now use other parts most of the time, but often I find when I am looking for things (like GPU blocks) they are often the only one on the market that fits, especially early in a generation.

Which pumps?

EK is a mixed blessing as far as I am concerned. They did screw up big-time with their old nickel plating process and screwed over customers in the process, but that was over a decade ago at this point. They have improved their plating process since.

There was also the issue with their shitty under-dimensioned first gen Threadripper block. They took shortcuts to make it faster and cheaper. I think they assumed it would be a small seller and it wasn't worth the effort.

I have never had an issue with any of their blocks personally, but I now use other parts most of the time, but often I find when I am looking for things (like GPU blocks) they are often the only one on the market that fits, especially early in a generation.
I can't remember the model number. It was a older D5 pump that they don't sell any more.

Which pumps?

How much of that EK Ni problem was guys using silver in their loop?

That is a good question. I don't think we'll ever know. EK's Nickel plating was thinner using a less capable method. Their manuals said to not use with dissimilar metals, like silver, but other vendors did not have problems with silver coils, so... Who knows.

I just use a CPU block. I have seen no need to cool the VRM's.

I have not actually confirmed monoblock tolerance issues, only the result. Every single monoblock I've ever seen has run the CPU a couple of degrees warmer than a corresponding CPU only block.

The tolerance stackup issue is an educated guess of mine having worked with medical devices containing boards and heatsinks in the past
If you suffer from OCD Watercool and EK will help you out. I love these guys.

Not much considering I have two EK nickel blocks that never saw anything other than distilled water and the plating flaked off so badly I eventually just left one in some vinegar for awhile to get the rest off.

That being said, I've owned 3 EK monoblocks since that along with several GPU blocks and in general I've had no real problems with their QC since.

Im pretty sure theyve been making these um, multi blocks (stupid name imo) for a really long time. They just didnt sell them as single units. You had to buy them individually.
The problem ive seen with mono blocks in the past were the stand offs werent machined to the proper height. So the block didnt seat properly(poor contact) which caused higher temps.

Back