Ford Using HoloLens for Car Design

monkeymagick

[H]News
Although the Ford Motor Company is still using clay models for designing prototypes of its future cars, the company does not shy away in embracing newer tech. Ford is now using augmented reality in part by way of Microsoft's HoloLens. The partnership is being billed as another helpful tool in the collaborative process of building an automobile.

Check out the demonstration.

Using HoloLens to visualize full scale models in 3D, Ford design and engineering teams are able to iterate more quickly -- processes that used to take weeks now take days because they no longer need to physically build every prototype. They can more easily and securely share ideas across the company, and consider many more concepts than previously possible.

How would it be more useful than looking at a 3d model on a computer?

So they can more easily engineer fail into every one of their vehicles easier? They can see where they'll install the fires now. Ford is a total despicable cunt of a company.

How would it be more useful than looking at a 3d model on a computer?

in my experience the vast hordes of executive level humanity cannot visualize for shit. it quite literally has to be in front of them.

i've had many occasions from multiple bosses where i get the weak-ass excuse of "i'm a visual person". no, you're not. you cannot visualize. what you want to do is simply called "having eye-sight". nothing wrong with that per-se, just don't hand me a load of crap like "i'm visual"

Good on Microsoft. At least this is a technology they do not appear to be quickly abandoning.

I like it! More useful if they incorporate this technology for the end user to be able to work on their cars.

But Why AR for this and why not VR?
AR like they said, still requires a physical model to overlay on top of. VR could be done without a physical model and having designers who are in different parts of the country collaborate together on a project. Scale models could be 3d printed and used as a comparison for the final product.

Hey, maybe they can use Hololens to figure out how to make the turning radius on the next c-max not be 2 miles!

Hey, maybe they can use Hololens to figure out how to make the turning radius on the next c-max not be 2 miles!

For those of you that were like what?
C-Max turning radius : 19.19′
Honda Fit turning radius: 17.55′

For those of you that were like what?
C-Max turning radius : 19.19′
Honda Fit turning radius: 17.55′

My ole WRX is listed at 17.7' but its a lie. The wife's Tribeca SUV is listed at 18.7. The WRX should have a much tighter radii yet it always goes to the curb and her Tribeca flips a tit like a pro never getting close to the curb. The Rex feels like its 8 turns to lock too lol.

Good on Microsoft. At least this is a technology they do not appear to be quickly abandoning.

Im pretty sure it has been abandoned. They put out a carefully worded press release saying they're reevaluating for a possible new version in 2019. Likely we won't hear about it again.

The HL's mailslot FOV didn't really help matters. Ultimately though it came down to developers not seeing the point of investing in it after demos proved lackluster.

Back