Ford to Unveil 2011 Explorer on Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Ford has decided to unveil its new 2011 Explorer on Facebook instead of traditional media outlets.

Ford Motor Company is breaking with tradition in a big way. The company has been leaving digital breadcrumbs on the Ford Explorer Facebook Page, and in just a few days they’ll take to the web — instead of an auto show — for an all-day Facebook event to unveil the redesigned 2011 Ford Explorer.

It will be nice to see the day that facebook goes the way of Geocities and ceases to exist.

Why the hate, let's commend a dying company for making a comeback and finally getting it.

I used the "Build One" calculator to build up a fully loaded model.

Damn. $52,000. For an Explorer. And it's not even the EcoBoost V6!

I like and drive Fords, but they are out of their damned minds.

I used the "Build One" calculator to build up a fully loaded model.

Damn. $52,000. For an Explorer. And it's not even the EcoBoost V6!

I like and drive Fords, but they are out of their damned minds.
No effing way. $52K? That's insane. I have to check this out, I'm curious what they did to this vehicle to charge so damn much..

No effing way. $52K? That's insane. I have to check this out, I'm curious what they did to this vehicle to charge so damn much..

They want you to spend more to save more or some shit like that some rep said in an article I read this morning. 250hp v4 engine with Taurus chassis so it's not even good off road. There are many more cheaper alternatives out there.

Fifty Two thousand reasons why the american auto industry should be driven off a cliff.

Ford is actually doing fairly well, making a decent come back, did not accept any bailout money, didn't need it... Don't assume that just becaude ford is american, that they are one of the crappy car makers.

Besides, I could "fully load" a Mac Pro and make it around $52,000 as well, or do the same to a Dell or HP computer, the the trouble of "fully loading" something, most of the choices, when combined togther, is just alot of fluff and uselessness.

That $52,000 value is just troll bait and you took it. For the record, I don't even like ford, but I don't condem then just because they are american, infact I applaud ford regardless of my dislike for them, as they are one of the few automakers in america who were able to get their heads out of their asses and turn themselves around.

Fifty Two thousand reasons why the american auto industry should be driven off a cliff.

First, whoever pays full MSRP or over MSRP should be drove off a cliff.
Second, If its a high quality car it can demand that kind of price.
Third, Why the bias?
Fourth, Do you drive a prius?
Fifth, Do you like Men?

Seriously, the American Auto's make competitive cars, I am very sorry that you can't keep a open mind when it comes to where the cars are made from instead of what the car offers...

The facebook unveiling is kind of pointless. I mean this is probably aimed at a mid-age range which facebook doesn't have too many members in that group. I guess we will see. If it works it works if it doesn't? we won't see any more reveals online again

Third, Why the bias?
Fourth, Do you drive a prius?
Fifth, Do you like Men?

Yes, because thinking fifty two thousand dollars is too much to pay for a mediocre, uninspired, dinosaur of transportation certainly would make someone a Prius driving homosexual. :rolleyes:

Yes, because thinking fifty two thousand dollars is too much to pay for a mediocre, uninspired, dinosaur of transportation certainly would make someone a Prius driving homosexual. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that you do not make that connection, I am also sorry that a redneck American crushed your 93 honda del sol with his Ford Excursion... That doesn't mean you do not have to see value in a mid-large sized SUV's just because you have no use for them...

2011-ford-explorer.jpg

Just from that small pic, it already looks too much like the Edge, which isn't ugly, I love their styling, but the Explorer needs to look a little more truckish since it's a bigger brother. Sad that they're no longer on ladder frames too. I know unibodies are much safer, but you can't hit anything without totalling it out. I say this because I have a '94 Explorer I've had for almost 10 years now (my first vehicle when I was 16, actually) and it's totaled out 2 other cars (one of which was a 2010 Mercades, both times wife was driving, lol) and only took a few hundred in parts to fix it back up myself, pocketing the rest of the insurance check that was meant for labor. The Ex has 210k miles on it with original drivetrain still and everything on it still works perfectly, esp. the 4x4 that is a tank in the snow.

It's been through a few floods up to the doors, several off roading/mudding adventures (with friends in high school, not lately), totally airborne several times (fun hill on the way to my first job, was perfect for landings, again, retarded teenager at the time) and still runs/drives absolutely perfect other than a rough/primitive suspension system (Twin Traction Beam and solid axle). I have to question how well the current gen vehicles would hold up under the same conditions my old 1st gen Ex has been through.

I did the same for a Flex the other day. IIRC it came out close to $56,000. At least that was with the EcoBoost V6.

I drive a 2008 Edge and love it but this thing looks like the result of the Edge and Escape doing the nasty (not sure which one got knocked up, probably doesn't matter). The profile isn't all that sexy but the front view is ok.

I thought Ford was putting Sync into most if not all of it's vehicles but the options charts don't even mention it until you get the Limited edition and it's not even standard in that base package.

Well, one thing is for sure, we'll be seeing crazy lease deals on it by mid next year. Now how does this ugly fucker drive?

Only thing ford did right last few years is bring back the SHO :D, I had a 94 and loved it. I am going to be buying a new SHO this fall :)

2011-ford-explorer.jpg

I have to question how well the current gen vehicles would hold up under the same conditions my old 1st gen Ex has been through.

Not even close to the same durability...

BOF suv designs will still be more durable than unibodys in a off road and heavy payload situations. however like you said uni's are safe for the occupants. But lets be real for a second and just assume that ford knows people don't use suv's for what they are designed to do. Thus, we have the ultimate soccer mom grocery getter that is very distant from its older self. A nice cushy ride, lots of features, room for the brats, Defiantly a Van that's not shaped like a van.

I'm sorry that you do not make that connection, I am also sorry that a redneck American crushed your 93 honda del sol with his Ford Excursion... That doesn't mean you do not have to see value in a mid-large sized SUV's just because you have no use for them...

I'm sorry that you don't understand 50+ thousand dollars is not a sane amount to pay for a Ford Explorer. There's no value there. Your paying for an ugly, fragile, gas guzzling box of plastic that's an icon of american wastefulness and exuberance.

For the record I drive an american made late model four door V8 truck. Not because I need to reaffirm my manhood or anything but because, you know, it has actual utility.

I had a 2007 Edge SEL AWD. I traded it in for an '10 Escape Limited V6. Both are very good. I just could not afford the Edge this time around. It was about 10 grand more equipped the same as the Escape.

The Escape is also quicker and handles better. I do miss the room though.

The new Explorer is no longer a truck-frame based SUV. It is now a Unibody based SUV and I believe it uses the new Taurus underpinnings. You'll notice they no longer call it 4WD, but now calls it AWD, which is fairly standard for vehicles that have All Wheel Drive designed more towards road handling than off-road handling. I think this is a reasonable design change considering how much better and safer it will handle than the old one, not to mention the vast majority of buyers of these never go offroad.

Honestly, if you really want an off-roader SUV, you should be buying a Jeep, Land Cruiser or something similar anyway.

But the price on this is simply ridiculous.

I drive a 2008 Edge and love it but this thing looks like the result of the Edge and Escape doing the nasty (not sure which one got knocked up, probably doesn't matter). The profile isn't all that sexy but the front view is ok.

I thought Ford was putting Sync into most if not all of it's vehicles but the options charts don't even mention it until you get the Limited edition and it's not even standard in that base package.

Well, one thing is for sure, we'll be seeing crazy lease deals on it by mid next year. Now how does this ugly fucker drive?

Geocities only exists in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoCities
As of April 7, 2010, GeoCities Japan is still online, with no signs of upcoming closure. Its member sites are still accessible, and it is still accepting new account registrations, but now all services are only available in Japanese.

できるから問題じゃないそう。
Oh, it used to be there and just offer paid hosting.It seems weird they dropped the well known service and just made it "yahoo web hosting..." There isn't any good free web hosters left is there...

WOW.. I am gonna make the Ford Explorer a Facebook friend!! That REALLY ought to improve my street cred!!

Wonder how many other inanimate object have Facebook profiles.. 200 million of the half billion Facebook has??

At least Ford was smart enough to get Mike Rowe to pimp their stuff!! It's a dirty job but he will do it!!

Hey.. the Ford Explorer talks back to you..

Tina Trujillo Henrie Ok so i'm trying to enter the sweepstakes & it keeps reporting an error on the page?? Is there another way we can enter?
21 minutes ago · Comment · Like · Flag

Ford Explorer double check your entry form, mandatory fields are indicated, if everything is not filled out- it will not enter the sweeps.
9 minutes ago ·

Tina Trujillo Henrie check check......everything filled out. What "should" happen after you click submit?
7 minutes ago ·

There is the only vehicle I want talking back to me..

0_61_kitt.jpg

Michael Knight, a lone crusader in a dangerous world. The world... of the Knight Rider

030510-david-hasselhoff-drunk-eating-a-burger.jpg

Michael Knight: I need ya buddy.. to make a run over to Burger King.. I need more burgers!!
KITT: Right away Michael.

Not even close to the same durability...

BOF suv designs will still be more durable than unibodys in a off road and heavy payload situations. however like you said uni's are safe for the occupants. But lets be real for a second and just assume that ford knows people don't use suv's for what they are designed to do. Thus, we have the ultimate soccer mom grocery getter that is very distant from its older self. A nice cushy ride, lots of features, room for the brats, Defiantly a Van that's not shaped like a van.

If you want to go off road...thats what buying an old jeep cherokee or wrangler is for:p

I can't say im a big fan of the explorer, but fords recent offerings have been pretty nice. Of the american autos i would more than likely buy a ford vs a dodge or GM vehicle at this point in time, as dodge/GM still just arent up to the quality that one would expect paying the price that you do for one of their vehicles. Honestly though the American autos are pricing themselves out of the mraket, who is going to buy an impala or ford fusion when you can get a VW passat or CC built to higher quality and with more power for quite similar money.

If you want to go off road...thats what buying an old jeep cherokee or wrangler is for:p

I can't say im a big fan of the explorer, but fords recent offerings have been pretty nice. Of the american autos i would more than likely buy a ford vs a dodge or GM vehicle at this point in time, as dodge/GM still just arent up to the quality that one would expect paying the price that you do for one of their vehicles. Honestly though the American autos are pricing themselves out of the mraket, who is going to buy an impala or ford fusion when you can get a VW passat or CC built to higher quality and with more power for quite similar money.

nah Caprice Classic box style is a beast at off roading... When you climb a hill faster than a new fj cruiser with the AC on in a 4 door sedan, there is really nothing more gratifying...

There is nothing better than wheelin in a CJ7 though...

I think people have a huge misconception of the American auto's they have awesome quality and durability they just don't feel quality.. and have cheap plastic interiors and for a stretch there bland styling. (But then again no one had good styling in the late 90's to mid 00's) You know how many 90's american cars that have 200k+ miles being abused by teens across the country? Maybe its different elsewhere but around here there every highschool/college parking lot is filled with old gm/ford/Chrysler cars and trucks I mean they are beat to hell and rusted but they start and drive every day. very rarely to i see and foreign cars that are older than about 95 except for a couple audi's bmw's and civic's.

I have never heard anyone talk about VW's and quality. I remember a couple stories about a new vw purchase going wrong. most recent a rabbit, First week trans went out. 1 month later trans went out again. 5 months in engine block cracked... then a neighbor that had here heated seats catch fire 3 times...

Honestly though the American autos are pricing themselves out of the mraket, who is going to buy an impala or ford fusion when you can get a VW passat or CC built to higher quality and with more power for quite similar money.

:confused::confused:

VW has never exactly been know for offering "quality" vehicles. In fact according to all major independent surveys the Passat is one of the worst vehicles from a quality standpoint in its segment.

It amazes me how opinionated people get with respect to automotive quality, often making blanket statements with very little facts supporting. As an FYI, according to the latest JD Power IQS survey Ford ranks 5th amongst all manufacturers in initial quality. The four ahead of Ford in order Porsche, Accura, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.

I'm sorry that you don't understand 50+ thousand dollars is not a sane amount to pay for a Ford Explorer. There's no value there. Your paying for an ugly, fragile, gas guzzling box of plastic that's an icon of american wastefulness and exuberance.

For the record I drive an american made late model four door V8 truck. Not because I need to reaffirm my manhood or anything but because, you know, it has actual utility.

How many people do you expect will order a 50k explorer?

they will sell more at there base price of about 30k which in the large suv market is about the average... It might not have any utility to you but it does to others... Right now I'm just trolling a troll..

Only thing ford did right last few years is bring back the SHO :D, I had a 94 and loved it. I am going to be buying a new SHO this fall :)

Hellz yeah. My mom had a '93 SHO and it was awesome. I was hoping I would get it as a hand-me-down when I was in high school (grad of '04), but she got me my '94 Explorer instead.. which is prolly a good thing because it's been nothing but great to me since and I would have prolly lost insurance due to all the speeding tickets if I got that car. I got it up to 130 MPH several times when mom sent me to get milk or something, lolz. It rode smooth as butter too.

I reeeeeally want a new SHO (365 HP and AWD? Yes please!), but there's no way I can justify spending almost 40k for a car when I barely make that in a year right now. Hopefully I can find a nice used one in a couple years My '05 Altima 3.5 is plenty sporty enough for me until I get out of the Army and have a real job.

I will never buy another Ford again in my life.

I bought a new 98 Explorer back in the day and the motor blew @ 41k miles.

Never again. FORD = Found On Road Dead.

Oh noes! Someone has different tastes than you? Make sure you belittle and make them seem totally inept and retarded.

That's great... it's not your taste. That would mean you are not someone Ford is aiming to please with this vehicle.

Grow up and understand that different people have different tastes.

As for gas guzzling... your V8 truck guzzles more than this "gas guzzling box of plastic". :rolleyes:

You know you're supposed to change the oil on those, right? :p

Was it a 5.0 or 4.0? My '94s 4.0 has 210k on it and still runs absolutely perfect and strong. They had SOHCs (mine's an OHV) in 98 though which made them have more timing issues, so the 5.0s were actually more reliable (not that the 4.0s were unreliable). You sure you didn't piss someone off and they didn't piss in your tank? :D

Was it a 5.0 or 4.0? My '94s 4.0 has 210k on it and still runs absolutely perfect and strong. They had SOHCs (mine's an OHV) in 98 though which made them have more timing issues, so the 5.0s were actually more reliable (not that the 4.0s were unreliable). You sure you didn't piss someone off and they didn't piss in your tank? :D

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 that has 290k on it right now.

Still runs great (no A/C). I use it to go to the dump and to haul crap on the rare occasions that I need to.

They start at about $29k. That's an XL with NO options at all. You'd be hard pressed to even find one of these on the lot.

How many people do you expect will order a 50k explorer?

they will sell more at there base price of about 30k which in the large suv market is about the average... It might not have any utility to you but it does to others... Right now I'm just trolling a troll..

The early SOHC 4.0 Litre's did indeed have issues with timing chains/sprockets. The tensioner was the actual cause of the issue. Unfortunately the timing chain/tensioners on this motor are at the REAR, and this made them a mother to fix.

The 4.0 was designed/built in Cologne, Germany. It was born from the old Capri engine of years ago IIRC. It's actually a very good motor and until the tensioner issues when they went to SOHC in what, 99', that they had an real issues to speak of. They had to do it though. The 160hp of the OHV version had become totally uncompetitive.

The early SOHC 4.0 Litre's did indeed have issues with timing chains/sprockets. The tensioner was the actual cause of the issue. Unfortunately the timing chain/tensioners on this motor are at the REAR, and this made them a mother to fix.

The 4.0 was designed/built in Cologne, Germany. It was born from the old Capri engine of years ago IIRC. It's actually a very good motor and until the tensioner issues when they went to SOHC in what, 99', that they had an real issues to speak of. They had to do it though. The 160hp of the OHV version had become totally uncompetitive.

Indeed. It shows how bulletproof the Cologne design is since they've been using it (the 4.0 version) since 1990. I think I read that this year is the last year for the 4.0 SOHC though, so just the fact that it lasted through 20 years of manufacturing is amazing. I thought it was amazing even the friggin V6 Mustangs still had these engines. But next year they'll be using the new 3.7 Ltr with 305 HP, which absolutely kills the old 4.0s 210 HP rating.

I have to say though, even though the 4.0 in my Ex only makes 160 HP, the 225 ft·lbf of torque seems enough to haul anything I've needed to. I had 1200 lbs of stuff in it when I moved from GA to NY and I only noticed it when I went to brake or turn, lol.

ooh, facebook, the asshole of humanity... How about you release a new car to everyone who went 'woohoo' when you didn't take the government moolah.

Unable to edit. But just to clarify this Explorer is based on the Taurus body.

Thats a shame that you both feel that way though considering Ford is currently the highest in initial quality. They are also the only company to have all of its brands at or better than industry average for reliability right now. Once I can find a decent used 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 in a couple years I will jump on it.

I reeeeeally want a new SHO (365 HP and AWD? Yes please!), but there's no way I can justify spending almost 40k for a car when I barely make that in a year right now.

The biggest problem with the SHO is that it weighs to much. The original SHO was much much lighter. What Ford really needs to do is put that engine in Fusion.

Back