Ford Mustang Mach E Leak: Mustang goes Electric

I have. I have time of day charging and average 5.1 cents/KWh if I only charge between 10PM and 6AM at home (that's like getting gas at ~$0.60/gallon based off my average 3 mi/KWh). Only scheduled maintenance is at 150k and 200k miles for my Mach-E. I am now 100% work from home and that won't change unless I get a different job so I only drive about 5k miles a year now so I won't even make it to 150k miles before I get rid of it. The only thing I will ever have to replace is tires (not even breaks as I almost never touch them due to 1-pedal driving). So after tax, title, license, electrical outlet install and all tax breaks, my Mach-E (4WD Select) will be ~$44k (I got a 0% 36-month loan). Only about $800/year to insure too.
Ah you live where that you get 5.1 cent/KWh at any time of day? Reykjavík on a geothermal plant/volcano? That's certainly not the norm.

I'm not seeing a comparison to a gas car. If you are only driving 5k/year, you would hardly be paying anything in gas to justify the price increase for an electric car. Since your electrical is less than half the normal rate of the lowest state in the nation, I am going to assume your gas price is as well! So figure a 25 MPG gas car would use $328 / year or $3300 in 10 years. You didn't say when you would get rid of it, but 10 years seems like a reasonable number. Hope you never have to replace the battery! Can you find a gas car with a power to weight ratio of > 0.0605 (266hp @ 4400lbs) for less than $40,700? Easily. That's excluding electricity costs. Even double that and you are still paying more for the EV.

Also, sure - count the $7,500 federal tax credit. It helps your personal situation. However, it's still coming out of everyone's paycheck. EVs even more unaffordable, once you take away the tax theft.

Last edited:
Also, sure - count the $7,500 federal tax credit. It helps your personal situation. However, it's still coming out of everyone's paycheck. EVs even more unaffordable, once you take away the tax theft.
I always liked this bit. I wonder where the EV market would be without government meddling? Add unfavorable stances towards ICE vehicles into the mix as well.

In the current market, we paid 6k more for a model y than the insane dealership markup prices on the 3 different vehicles we were looking at, also got a substantially better interest rate at Tesla. We live in FL so there are 0 tax incentives. We definitely made some compromises in capability of the y compared to the other vehicles but honestly we were done dealing with the scam artists that are car sales people. When we add in distribution costs and Duke charging substantially more for anything over 1,000kwh we'll still come out ahead fairly quickly assuming 10-15k miles a year. Exponentially less overall maintenance (I've been keeping a 2008 versa and 2007 gmc 1500 alive for the last 7 years) is also super appealing.

I really don't understand brand loyalty with a system like cars. If they actually cared about the customers and not profit they'd heavily lobby to eliminate the dealership system. Dealerships charging 5-50k+ for market adjustments is insane. I'd much rather see the msrp go up and not have the dealerships pad their profits providing a service that is wildly unnecessary with the ability to google.

I never understood brand loyalty for anything either. These corporations are only looking for you money. If they want my loyalty, they can be loyal to their customers and treat them right.

Keeping in mind that I started driving a little late and I keep my cars until they're firmly driven into the ground, I've owned two Toyotas, a Hyundai and a Mazda. I just buy what I think is the best fit for me and my needs at that time.

Car guys must have died in the 80s with that version of Mustang, nice little hatchback version, or perhaps the 4 cylinder coupe they had with a whopping 88hp on the base model!
Even the common OG Mustangs were known as slow turds and more cruisers. Its the looks of the car and an SUV isn't a Mustang.
It's like the new Supra. Its a crappy BMW underneath but at least it looks sort of like a Supra. And doesn't have four doors.

Ah you live where that you get 5.1 cent/KWh at any time of day? Reykjavík on a geothermal plant/volcano? That's certainly not the norm.

I'm not seeing a comparison to a gas car. If you are only driving 5k/year, you would hardly be paying anything in gas to justify the price increase for an electric car. Since your electrical is less than half the normal rate of the lowest state in the nation, I am going to assume your gas price is as well! So figure a 25 MPG gas car would use $328 / year or $3300 in 10 years. You didn't say when you would get rid of it, but 10 years seems like a reasonable number. Hope you never have to replace the battery! Can you find a gas car with a power to weight ratio of > 0.0605 (266hp @ 4400lbs) for less than $40,700? Easily. That's excluding electricity costs. Even double that and you are still paying more for the EV.

man you are really trying so hard to justify that electric cars aren't worth it. Fact that I can charge nightly at low cost and with little maintenance. Dream on about $328 dollars a year in gas cost unless you barely drive your car lol or have barely any commute. Any car after 10 years is up in the air, but you are saying to replace the battery in 10 yeas is going to cost the same as today? If so I have a bridge to sell you. The costs are just going to go down in a decade, now that is if you kill the battery in a decade but that won't happen with new cars if you charge battery responsibly and don't do it up to 100% every day. That's why ford with MACH-e wants to have at least 70% capacity after long time if you charge up to 80% or so or even 90 on occasions. So it can last much longer past decade, obviously little less range.

As far as tax credit, its whatever. When people get it one can complain, when corporations get it I hope you complain the same way.

Even the common OG Mustangs were known as slow turds and more cruisers. Its the looks of the car and an SUV isn't a Mustang.
It's like the new Supra. Its a crappy BMW underneath but at least it looks sort of like a Supra. And doesn't have four doors.
New Supra isn't a bad car. However, it's not that impressive because the reality is that the M2C is just the better car if you want the two door BMW. Better engine, and a stickshift.

Not at all a Ford guy so I think hahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahhhahaahahahhahahh. Then look at the performance and go wth.... not terrible at all. Historically though Ford's better ideas have made me scratch my head in bewilderment after 30+ years of wrenching on them.

You forgot to read my post where I answered this.
I have time of day charging and average 5.1 cents/kWh if I only charge between 10PM and 6AM at home
My exact rates are below (Summer: June through September):

smartsavers_summer.ashx
smartsavers_winter2.ashx
smartsavers_weekends.ashx

Note I can set my car up so it only charges between 10PM and 6AM. Also note that holidays have the same rate as weekends (Holidays: New Years’ Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving Friday, Christmas Eve Day, and Christmas Day.)
I was getting about 35mi/gallon on my old car but it was a 2010 Toyota Corolla and I was wanting to replace it due to age and wanting something new. Gas is about $3/gallon right now. A full fill-up (70 kWh) will cost me $3.57 (on average). Range really isn't a factor for me as I haven't driven more than 120 miles a day more than once in 5 years (and I don't expect this to change). My specific use case is great for electric cars. If you drive 400 miles a day or like to take road trips frequently, they aren't for you. If I really wanted to take a road trip once a year, I could always just rent a gas car (or plan my route along major highways with extra stopping time).
I am actually getting just over $8k back as I also am getting extra money back for installing a home charger (30% back). Note you have to have a tax liability of greater than or equal to the credits to maximize the credits and I am able to do this (not everyone can). Anyone who thinks that taxes are theft, have no clue what taxes pay for (hit, they are things you use every day). Anyone who isn't maximizing their tax deductions and credits either isn't putting in enough effort to read up on the tax laws or is paying an idiot to do their taxes. I do my research (and my own taxes).

Last edited:
My exact rates are below (Summer: June through September):

smartsavers_summer.ashx
smartsavers_winter2.ashx
Out of curiosity what are rates if you don't have a TOU scheduling? For non-EV TOU schedules we are like 31c/kWh for off peak, 40c for peak, there's something similar for an EV TOU pricing similar to your Summer, but prices are 16c, 33c, and 59c!! respectively, although peak is 4-9pm because California power companies are anti-solar now.

Out of curiosity what are rates if you don't have a TOU scheduling? For non-EV TOU schedules we are like 31c/kWh for off peak, 40c for peak, there's something similar for an EV TOU pricing similar to your Summer, but prices are 16c, 33c, and 59c!! respectively, although peak is 4-9pm because California power companies are anti-solar now.
Well it is complicated, as there are multiple options (I can have different rates for summer and winter if I want). https://www.ameren.com/missouri/company/rate-options has the exact details.

Well it is complicated, as there are multiple options (I can have different rates for summer and winter if I want). https://www.ameren.com/missouri/company/rate-options has the exact details.
Ok a quick look confirmed what I was thinking, your rates in general are much cheaper to the tune of about 3x as much, except instead of getting a "bonus" in the winter with cheaper rates we actually get dinged harder because our "baseline" amount (the amount that's determined before the rate jumps to a new pricing tier) is lower in the winter (we have natural gas, so we're expected to use that while heating). But the EV TOU rates look comparable all things considered, almost 3x the rate for each usage block. Either way jelly of your electric rates, having a tropical coral reef tank where at times I've had in excess of 500+ gallons of water that needed to be kept at about 80°F does make the electric meter spin quite fast... to the point where I've majorly had to cut back... sin tax for the area.

Ok a quick look confirmed what I was thinking, your rates in general are much cheaper to the tune of about 3x as much, except instead of getting a "bonus" in the winter with cheaper rates we actually get dinged harder because our "baseline" amount (the amount that's determined before the rate jumps to a new pricing tier) is lower in the winter (we have natural gas, so we're expected to use that while heating). But the EV TOU rates look comparable all things considered, almost 3x the rate for each usage block. Either way jelly of your electric rates, having a tropical coral reef tank where at times I've had in excess of 500+ gallons of water that needed to be kept at about 80°F does make the electric meter spin quite fast... to the point where I've majorly had to cut back... sin tax for the area.
My use is actually much higher in the winter as I have electric heat. Only my fireplace and drier are gas (strange, I know). I pay $118 a month for electricity (I am billed for like a 12 month average or something). Only Idaho, Utah, and Washington have cheaper residential electric rates than Missouri (based off October 2021 rates), so that is nice.

You can't tell me when all electric vehicles start to become the norm in the country (USA), that the cost of electricity will not rival that of what the equivelant of gas prices? come on! Right now it may seem cost effective, but our infrastructure in the US is so behind that they are throwing incentives to reduce energy consumption in form of rebates to prevent having to upgrade structure. This is like turnpikes...oh we will only charge enough to get it built and then we will think about dropping the tolls...nope! We would need to go back with nuclear power.

I am still not sold on electric...more electronics, replacing batteries, crumble zones near the batteries can total a vehicle (looking @ Tesla and the Gigapress). I would rather have a gas vehicle for another 30 years or so.

You can't tell me when all electric vehicles start to become the norm in the country (USA), that the cost of electricity will not rival that of what the equivelant of gas prices? come on! Right now it may seem cost effective, but our infrastructure in the US is so behind that they are throwing incentives to reduce energy consumption in form of rebates to prevent having to upgrade structure. This is like turnpikes...oh we will only charge enough to get it built and then we will think about dropping the tolls...nope! We would need to go back with nuclear power.

I am still not sold on electric...more electronics, replacing batteries, crumble zones near the batteries can total a vehicle (looking @ Tesla and the Gigapress). I would rather have a gas vehicle for another 30 years or so.
What's worse is now states are moving to ban natural gas in homes for heating and cooking, so the burden on the electric grid is just going to continue getting higher.

There is no question that the grid rates will go up in line with shifting the demand from gasoline to the grid. It will get to the point where I imagine people having to get special meters at home for their EV’s so the power companies can charge more for that specific usage.

It doesn’t help that no one is building nuclear plants, and in fact many areas are shutting down their plants with no replacement. So the grid prices will only skyrocket.

What's worse is now states are moving to ban natural gas in homes for heating and cooking, so the burden on the electric grid is just going to continue getting higher.
Yeah, I saw this. It’s insanely stupid. Heating a home with natgas is far more practical.

Are there actually states trying to do that?

I saw some stuff about cities banning or trying to ban it and then a bunch of states reacting by banning banning it.

I saw some stuff about cities banning or trying to ban it and then a bunch of states reacting by banning banning it.
its kinda ot but yes, theres talk from yesterday about NY doing it due to so many counties already doing it. if you question something, type it into your preferred search engine...

New York wants to ban all new hookups statewide. At least Governor Hochul is backing the push for it. NYC instituted the ban last month for the city.
https://www.eenews.net/articles/n-y-governor-backs-nations-first-statewide-gas-ban/

California, for its part, has declared natural gas to be "zero carbon" by default in a bill signed into law last year.

It really shows how the path to Hell is paved with good intentions. I'm all on board with people wanting to drive EV's, do solar power, etc. However, the green movement has morphed into something that is completely illogical at this point. I can't even imagine how expensive my electric bill would be if my central furnace was electric. Heating w/ electric makes sense when you live somewhere like Florida or Texas and you barely ever use the heat, thus, no need for the nat gas hookup. However, when you live in a place like NY? That's just pure insanity.

Maybe this is a move by the Manhattan steam power authority to make more people travel back 100 years and get steam hookups in their house.

It really shows how the path to Hell is paved with good intentions. I'm all on board with people wanting to drive EV's, do solar power, etc. However, the green movement has morphed into something that is completely illogical at this point. I can't even imagine how expensive my electric bill would be if my central furnace was electric. Heating w/ electric makes sense when you live somewhere like Florida or Texas and you barely ever use the heat, thus, no need for the nat gas hookup. However, when you live in a place like NY? That's just pure insanity.

Maybe this is a move by the Manhattan steam power authority to make more people travel back 100 years and get steam hookups in their house.
I'm just wondering what the powers-that-be will blame the rise in winter deaths on in the future when people can't heat their homes because the electricity went out during a blizzard.

You do realize that forced hot air natural gas heaters require power too for the blower motors. We lost power all the time in the north east in a house built in the 60s with crap insulation and windows. Never a problem.

You do realize that forced hot air natural gas heaters require power too for the blower motors. We lost power all the time in the north east in a house built in the 60s with crap insulation and windows. Never a problem.
The furnace off of nothing but electric is what i'm saying is stupid. Electric for just the blower is nothing, but when you have electric heating elements that's the stupid part.

Also, when you only have the blower electric it's quite easy to run it off a generator. If you've got the entire furnace all electric it requires a hell of a lot of extra generated power since you're talking 20kwh+. You can't run that off a standard size portable consumer generator.

The furnace off of nothing but electric is what i'm saying is stupid. Electric for just the blower is nothing, but when you have electric heating elements that's the stupid part.

Also, when you only have the blower electric it's quite easy to run it off a generator. If you've got the entire furnace all electric it requires a hell of a lot of extra generated power since you're talking 20kwh+. You can't run that off a standard size portable consumer generator.
Valid. We were in no financial place to even remotely consider having a generator when I was growing up. But there are at very least a few different options from resistive heating. Heat pumps are starting to get quite efficient sub zero, geothermal.

I do understand the barring of natural gas for new builds, look at what happened recently in MA with the entire neighborhood being destroyed due to gross negligence on the supply companies side. There are 0 "starter" homes being built anymore. At least not in the markets we've looked in, and if the upper middle class houses have to foot the financial burden of having things like geothermal, I have no problem with that. We replaced the hvac system that was the same age as me at our first home and it cut the power consumption by nearly 70% on the AC side.

Our next house will most likely be in NE again. Forced air is the only requirement for the hvac system. We will eventually go geothermal regardless of if we have natural gas or not. Probably 5 years after that full solar roof with battery storage for 7 days with 100% of normal household electricity use. We're incredibly fortunate to be in the financial situation where we can plan like that though. We were on federal heat assistance in our first apartment all of a little more than 6 years ago.

TBF, running a furnace blower motor off a generator is much more practical than whole home electric heating. Not to mention the water heater, too.
They're doing some really neat things with heat pumps these days though. Someone somewhere figured out "hey it's a lot more energy efficient to move heat around then create it from scratch maybe we should put this into homes instead of resistive heating elements" and yeah there's some REALLY nice stuff out there, 0 degres outside and you still can pull heat from the air? WOW! Hybrid electric water heaters that can use 10 times less energy than gas to heat a similar amount of water, fantastic!

The downside... yeah it's expensive but it could very easily pay itself off in very short order, and it is relatively new technology so yeah there's that.

If you want to use some real numbers instead of whatever you're doing here, gas is $3.84 here right now, electricity is 9.9 cents/kWh, I drive 18,000 miles a year, and you need to pick an ICE CUV that can do 0-60 in ~3.6 seconds.

If you want to use some real numbers instead of whatever you're doing here, gas is $3.84 here right now, electricity is 9.9 cents/kWh, I drive 18,000 miles a year, and you need to pick an ICE CUV that can do 0-60 in ~3.6 seconds.
Why does any CUV need to do 0-60 3.6 seconds? Why would anybody buy a CUV to begin with?

You don't need to answer, I just find it hilarious someone wants a CUV that fast. (Or a CUV..)

I guess i'm just getting too old to give a shit about what the modern car trends are.

Why does any CUV need to do 0-60 3.6 seconds? Why would anybody buy a CUV to begin with?

You don't need to answer, I just find it hilarious someone wants a CUV that fast. (Or a CUV..)

I guess i'm just getting too old to give a shit about what the modern car trends are.
If we ask that question, then we have to ask ourselves why we buy anything other than a vehicle big enough to hold our family and fast enough to overtake someone on the highway. Sometimes it's just about making life more interesting.

Yeah, a crossover that can hit 60MPH in 3.6 seconds is overkill, but it also means you have a crossover that's a blast to drive when you aren't picking the kids up from school. That and there would be a certain pleasure in smoking someone's highly tuned sports car while you're fetching groceries.

For that matter, I like EVs in part because they underscore just how wasteful many ICE performance cars are. You'll see someone bragging about their Challenger Hellcat coupe, for instance, but it's a loud, gas-guzzling brute that would struggle to pull ahead of a Model 3 Performance with four doors, zero emissions, virtually silent motors... oh, and a lower price. I suspect many of the "I'll drive ICE cars until I die" types are just overgrown kids who want to hear vroom-vroom noises.

If we ask that question, then we have to ask ourselves why we buy anything other than a vehicle big enough to hold our family and fast enough to overtake someone on the highway. Sometimes it's just about making life more interesting.

Yeah, a crossover that can hit 60MPH in 3.6 seconds is overkill, but it also means you have a crossover that's a blast to drive when you aren't picking the kids up from school. That and there would be a certain pleasure in smoking someone's highly tuned sports car while you're fetching groceries.

For that matter, I like EVs in part because they underscore just how wasteful many ICE performance cars are. You'll see someone bragging about their Challenger Hellcat coupe, for instance, but it's a loud, gas-guzzling brute that would struggle to pull ahead of a Model 3 Performance with four doors, zero emissions, virtually silent motors... oh, and a lower price. I suspect many of the "I'll drive ICE cars until I die" types are just overgrown kids who want to hear vroom-vroom noises.
Well the sound is part of it. My 850csi sounds great with the V12. I just derive no enjoyment out of EVs or cars without a stick shift for that matter.

Will I eventually have to replace my daily driver with an EV? Sure. But I will never own an EV as my part of my collection/fun cars because I get nothing out of them. It’s an entirely different market segment. I’ll never own a CUV either, because it’s an illogical format for a car.

What is it about the 5.3" height difference between something like a Golf and a Mach-e GT that you find so offensive? Do you really not understand the idea of "What if hatchback but higher and more upright seating position and bigger doors?" or "What if SUV but more efficient and better handling?"

I think it’s because people want to see hp and torque values similar to ice engines. Just happens that with a motor those values are available right away, unlike an ice. The acceleration is a secondary affect of this.

The other thing re: EV CUVs is you take a 5 door and add a ~5" thick battery into the floor of it and bam, you got yourself a CUV whether you want it or not. There are obviously other ways to package things given the existence of the 3 and the S but the batteries have to go somewhere and you're either making the vehicle taller or you're making the passenger compartment shorter.

Well the sound is part of it. My 850csi sounds great with the V12. I just derive no enjoyment out of EVs or cars without a stick shift for that matter.

Will I eventually have to replace my daily driver with an EV? Sure. But I will never own an EV as my part of my collection/fun cars because I get nothing out of them. It’s an entirely different market segment. I’ll never own a CUV either, because it’s an illogical format for a car.
The engine roar can be satisfying, I'll admit... I just don't think it's worth drawing a line in the sand simply for the sake of car sounds.

And I wouldn't say "never." It's easy to say that when EVs are still in their relative infancy and you've likely had limited contact (especially with high-performance models); it might be another 10, 20 years from now when the technology has leaped forward and you're more likely to have driven something sporty. That and the market will likely shift heavily toward EVs in the next several years, so you might not have much choice — I wouldn't even count on sporty brands like Porsche. The world is changing, and I'd rather embrace what's coming than try to delay the inevitable.

The engine roar can be satisfying, I'll admit... I just don't think it's worth drawing a line in the sand simply for the sake of car sounds.

And I wouldn't say "never." It's easy to say that when EVs are still in their relative infancy and you've likely had limited contact (especially with high-performance models); it might be another 10, 20 years from now when the technology has leaped forward and you're more likely to have driven something sporty. That and the market will likely shift heavily toward EVs in the next several years, so you might not have much choice — I wouldn't even count on sporty brands like Porsche. The world is changing, and I'd rather embrace what's coming than try to delay the inevitable.
Porsche actually shows that the industry could make a good looking and fun-to-drive EV if they tried. I'd buy a Taycan if I had the money.

1642092857131.png

Porsche actually shows that the industry could make a good looking and fun-to-drive EV if they tried. I'd buy a Taycan if I had the money.

View attachment 431578
Precisely... and Porsche isn't going to sit there desperately holding out — I could maybe see it keeping the 911 around until there isn't much choice, but it's probably going to electrify the rest of its lineup. The Macan EV is next.

Back