Ford Dealership Steals Game Art To Advertise Sale

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know someone at this Ford dealership is going to get fired over this. Personally, I don't understand why people do this, they know they are going to get busted for snagging someone else's artwork but they do it anyway. At least the game developer had a good sense of humor about it.

Hopefully people buying those cars have a better ending than the game...

I read a handful of the tweets (they are tweets, right?) and I still have no idea who they are or what game they are referring to.

doesn't firewatch gives you the ability to buy your own screenshots and send them to you by mail ? maybe there is a loophole ford is using

If anything maybe this will get them a few more sells for the game. Can only imagine the calls this place got today and will get for the next few days.

Most of these dealerships are family run businesses. Not an excuse but the 'graphic designer' could have been a young relative of the owners doing this work as a summer job, hence the use of game art

Nothing new here.

I've seen various commercials seemingly use sound effects taken from PC video games! Probably since PC games sometimes store the sound effects locally as regular wave, MP3, or normal playable files, making them easy to extract and use.

. Personally, I don't understand why people do this, they know they are going to get busted for snagging someone else's artwork but they do it anyway.
They don't actually know they're going to get busted. Most likely they don't even know that what they're doing is illegal, or even wrong. This is what happens when instead of going to a professional to do the ad, you go to the intern, or Joe the car salesman.
They used google image search, and never even occurred to them that images on the internet are not free to be used as you see fit.

They likely took the image, put their text on it, and thought I saved thousands on an ad agency. People think like that, so it's perfectly understandable to me.

Last edited:
Nothing new here.

I've seen various commercials seemingly use sound effects taken from PC video games! Probably since PC games sometimes store the sound effects locally as regular wave, MP3, or normal playable files, making them easy to extract and use.

You're going on false assumptions here. While what you're saying is possible, it's unlikely. The probable thing is that the game and the ad agency used sounds from the same commercially available sound library. Note that sound libraries don't get outdated or obsolete. So it's possible that you hear the same sound in a brand new ad that you heard in a 15 year old game.

Note that sound libraries don't get outdated or obsolete. So it's possible that you hear the same sound in a brand new ad that you heard in a 15 year old game.

It goes deeper than that. Audio engineers in the movie industry go to the point of trying to slip in a super over-used, cliche inside joke sample where possible. E.g. the red alert tesla coil sound, every single same sci fi door noise ever, the chev v8 doing a burnout and driving away sound (dr dre and a gazillion movies).

It goes deeper than that. Audio engineers in the movie industry go to the point of trying to slip in a super over-used, cliche inside joke sample where possible. E.g. the red alert tesla coil sound, every single same sci fi door noise ever, the chev v8 doing a burnout and driving away sound (dr dre and a gazillion movies).
Nowadays it's hard to tell if hearing the doom door sound in a movie is an inside joke, or the sound enginer might not even know what it is. But I know I heard it many times in direct to video movies.

Nowadays it's hard to tell if hearing the doom door sound in a movie is an inside joke, or the sound enginer might not even know what it is. But I know I heard it many times in direct to video movies.

Could be a combination of both but I have heard it on good authority that doing it for pisstaking is not unusual. Doom door sound yeap!! Dark Reign, Total Anihillation etc all had heaps of these sounds in them too. The cannon sounds from TA are used in so many old war movies and propaganda clips too lol.

I was going to mention this. I still hear this sound on movies lol...

and don't forget the always popular Wilhelm scream...

This happens a lot more than you'd think, this time they just got caught.

Not sure how far derivative work goes. Screenshot, right?

Lol. yeah - and that scream. It's so out of place it makes me laugh when I hear it. lol

Yea, that drives me crazy how much that was used, as well as others....I mean are the sound guys really that lazy they can't use a new sound or make their own? It's crazy, it's really crazy how many times its been used over the years...

Honestly, it was probably a google image search just copy and paste and there you go. They probably didn't even know it was a game engine.

I highly doubt they took the time to go in to a game, and capture the image themselves. That sounds highly unplausible.

Back