Ford Car That Prevents You From Speeding

Inquiring minds want to know...Is there a way to set this to do 9mph over the speed limit?

All commercial vehicles should be required to use this tech. 18 wheeler passed me on my motorcycle going a cool 82mph on a two lane highway. Granted I was speeding too going around 75mph, but was like gdamn!!! At least I can stop fast and make lane changes like a laser, that big rig isn't doing anything fast but continuing to barrel like a train down that road.

So that video showing an off-ramp... So this system is even going to acknowledge the overly-conservative speed postings on off- and on-ramps? The most fun I ever have when I travel back south from Orlando is the interchange ramp from I-4 West to I-75 South. The posted speed is 40 MPH IIRC, but it is much more fun to open it up and feel the G-forces of the banked turn at 80+ :D.

Seems like a great way to get people killed. There've been a few times where I've been passing somebody who was driving 15 mph under the speed limit on a two lane road (one lane going, one coming) where a long line of cars has built up behind the mouth breather, and the way ahead looks clear, and just as I pull alongside, somebody pulls out from a side street onto the road coming the other way where they were hidden behind something like a sign, bushes, etc - you need that extra little burst of speed in those situations because the guys who were behind YOU have already closed up ranks; you can't just hit the brakes and merge back in.

And that's just one example where you briefly have to exceed the speed limit for safety.

If they want to make some sort of audible alarm in the car that steadily increases in volume over time when you're exceeding the speed limit, hey, that's...well, it's not fine but it's better than this idea. Friend of mine once told me "horns ought to be louder inside the car than outside - so that the only time you'd use one is when it ABSOLUTELY has to be used".

All commercial vehicles should be required to use this tech. 18 wheeler passed me on my motorcycle going a cool 82mph on a two lane highway. Granted I was speeding too going around 75mph, but was like gdamn!!! At least I can stop fast and make lane changes like a laser, that big rig isn't doing anything fast but continuing to barrel like a train down that road.

I feel the same way about every cop I see flying around in their 20 year old crown vic. It's like they are under the impression that just because they have immunity from the laws of men that they also have immunity from the laws of physics.

Interesting that many countries in Europe are lowering speed limits per narrator, while the US is trying to raise them. I'm also surprised they haven't tried that speed camera bit here yet any more than they have. We've got every other kinda freakin camera pointed at us.

One of these days some crusader is going to decide folks don't "need" super fast street-use cars and some hilarity is going to ensue. (for the children)

Seems like a great way to get people killed. There've been a few times where I've been passing somebody who was driving 15 mph under the speed limit on a two lane road (one lane going, one coming) where a long line of cars has built up behind the mouth breather, and the way ahead looks clear, and just as I pull alongside, somebody pulls out from a side street onto the road coming the other way where they were hidden behind something like a sign, bushes, etc - you need that extra little burst of speed in those situations because the guys who were behind YOU have already closed up ranks; you can't just hit the brakes and merge back in.

And that's just one example where you briefly have to exceed the speed limit for safety.

The end of the video said you can go over the limit simply by pressing on the accelerator more. It will override the system so you'll still get that speed you're talking about.

Considering how many insanely fast cars Ford is building I find this slightly ironic.

Also, as some others mentioned the thought of someone spoofing the speed limit signs could prove to make this sort of thing REALLY dangerous.

As long as it can be overridden (it can), then it's not a bad feature, but I want to be able to go faster if/when there is some danger. Sometimes going over by a little bit can get you out of a dangerous spot, even if it's just that you are stuck next to a "wide load" truck and you want to pass them a little faster.

This would get people killed in Georgia... pretty sure it's legal here to shoot someone that isn't doing at least 5 over the speed limit.

It will be extremely hazardous to try to overtake a slower vehicle in one of these cars. Or near impossible.

Mercedes has had an option to limit speed as well as cruise control for some time but even that will break off if you perform a kickdown. When you need to go you need to be able to go.

This is only feasible if the option can be toggled on/off or otherwise overridden by the driver, which is something the article did not mention in detail. A mandatory "always on" application doesn't make sense.

If they want to make some sort of audible alarm in the car that steadily increases in volume over time when you're exceeding the speed limit, hey, that's...well, it's not fine but it's better than this idea. Friend of mine once told me "horns ought to be louder inside the car than outside - so that the only time you'd use one is when it ABSOLUTELY has to be used".

Instead of having to pass a car that's going under the speed limit by going over the limit and into an opposing lane, there should be a legal law that makes cars going slower than the speed limit have to actively allow a car to pass.

IE: When I was in New Zealand I noticed slower cars in front would turn their left turn signal on (imagine a right turn signal in the US.) Move on to the shoulder as much as they could which was a signal to allow you room to pass. It took a couple of cars and "what the fuck are these peopel doing?" before a Kiwi finally said "they are letting you pass".

To me this makes for a much safer way of passing.

Considering how many insanely fast cars Ford is building I find this slightly ironic.

Also, as some others mentioned the thought of someone spoofing the speed limit signs could prove to make this sort of thing REALLY dangerous.

Legitimate question, how many insanely fast cars is Ford building? I honestly wasn't aware of any other than a couple souped 'tuner' models (GT500 Mustang, Raptor pickup).

I'm starting to think no one finished watching the end of the video where they said the feature can be overridden by press down on the accelerator.

Instead of having to pass a car that's going under the speed limit by going over the limit and into an opposing lane, there should be a legal law that makes cars going slower than the speed limit have to actively allow a car to pass.

IE: When I was in New Zealand I noticed slower cars in front would turn their left turn signal on (imagine a right turn signal in the US.) Move on to the shoulder as much as they could which was a signal to allow you room to pass. It took a couple of cars and "what the fuck are these peopel doing?" before a Kiwi finally said "they are letting you pass".

To me this makes for a much safer way of passing.
"Native Texans" (those whose grandpappies were here) all do this without exception.

Particularly in Houston though due to the international nature of the oilfield industry, there are virtually no Texans left, and its mostly US transplants, Mexicans, and either FOB or 1st gen Asians that don't even understand the law of moving your vehicle to the right-most lane whenever you aren't passing. They will cruise all day and night in the left most lane regardless of how slow they are driving, and if anyone gets on their ass or flashes their headlights at them, THEY are the ones that get mad... not kidding, they feel they are the ones being wrong, it boggles the mind! Its one thing to be an inconsiderate jerkoff, but a whole other to feel angry when someone merely points it out.

But then you see how they drive in Mumbai for example, and you see they have a totally different attitude, and so naturally they carry these habits over to the US, and their kids watch mommy and daddy drive for twenty years and pick up the same habits.

Doesn't BMW already offer this?

I like it. Going faster than the speed limit is almost always bad for safety, fuel efficiency and legal reasons.

Legitimate question, how many insanely fast cars is Ford building? I honestly wasn't aware of any other than a couple souped 'tuner' models (GT500 Mustang, Raptor pickup).

The definition of insanely fast changes pretty regular. To someone that grew up in the era of "performance" cars having 200ish hp and icon cars (viper, etc) were a measly (by todays standards) 400hp or so. Even the classic 911 turbo in the early to mid 90's was maybe 350 on a good day. Now we have 300hp 4 and 6 cylinders that aren't really anything too special.
The whole electric thing ala Tesla is likely going to change things up again quite a bit in the coming years. It's really amazing more people don't kill themselves and others, it's a credit to the high tech hand-holding modern cars are able to do I guess.

So I can car jack you with a piece of cardboard and some paint.

How many car related deaths and injuries are caused every year from excessive speed and how many from not being able to out run bad guys? Plus car jackings tend to happen when the car is stopped, at least that's seems to be how the narratives go when I see them mentioned in the news.

Ideas like this wouldn't even exist if people would be responsible with their vehicles instead of constantly speeding, texting, drinking, and yapping on the cell phone. Treat that car like the 3,000lb+ killing machine it will become when you screw up with it and you'll not screw up with it in the first place. Driving is not supposed to be a passive activity.

The national speed limit in the United States used to be 10mph, not kidding.

It was 55 when I started driving, and 85mph speedo's were all you saw for awhile.
Lot of cars were geared to run 55 or a bit over have a hard time holding 70+ these days.
Maybe not a hard time but they are pretty well screaming to do it. It took a looooong time to drive coast to coast at double nickle. Was pretty relaxing though.

Demolition Man, here we come. Would someone please expalin the sea shells before we get there?

ok so what about when youre doing 40 on a multilane road, the speed limit increases to 65, but there was a car between you and the speed limit sign (no line of sight from camera to sign)? you put your foot down but youre stuck doing 40...

It took a looooong time to drive coast to coast at double nickle. Was pretty relaxing though.
Too relaxing.

Many studies were done that showed that the combination of very low speed limits along with miles and miles of flat straight roads induced normal people into a trans-like barely conscious state, where they were awake but not 100% really there or attentive to the driving task since so little input or decision making was required.

So now they actually intentionally design long stretches of roads to have regular turns or when possible elevation changes, to help keep people alert.

Too relaxing.

Many studies were done that showed that the combination of very low speed limits along with miles and miles of flat straight roads induced normal people into a trans-like barely conscious state, where they were awake but not 100% really there or attentive to the driving task since so little input or decision making was required.

So now they actually intentionally design long stretches of roads to have regular turns or when possible elevation changes, to help keep people alert.

That's interesting, and I believe it. When I was younger I used to drive east coast to Oklahoma straight through and it was in retrospect crazy unsafe a lot of times.
Lotta mind numbing straight out there.

It was 55 when I started driving, and 85mph speedo's were all you saw for awhile.
Lot of cars were geared to run 55 or a bit over have a hard time holding 70+ these days.
Maybe not a hard time but they are pretty well screaming to do it. It took a looooong time to drive coast to coast at double nickle. Was pretty relaxing though.
The national speed limit of 55 was imposed due to the oil crisis in the '70s. Along with that regulation, speedometers were limited to 85 by law, with an emphasis on 55 (my grandparents' '84 Tempo had a curved box around 55 in bold print). After that regulation was lifted the maximum speed on speedometers can be set by the manufacturer. I remember seeing that a general rule they tend to follow is to round off the vehicle's top speed + ~20%. It's not set in stone. My '07 Mustang GT/CS had a top speed electronically limited to 149 MPH, but the speedo only went up to 140. Conversely, my '14 Mustang MCA is electronically limited to 125 MPH, but the speedo goes up to 160.

Back