Forcing XP computer to have IP address without a network

Vang

n00b
I've been trying to find a way to force a computer (running Windows XP) to have a local IP address without being connected to a network (or a way to emulate it) and have come up empty-handed after quite a bit of searching.

(I want to run two clients of a game on the same computer over local network multiplayer; the only way to do that is if the computer has an IP address.)

If anyone has any ideas how I could accomplish this, I would be appreciative.

I think this should work:
Install a loopback interface

However, you might have problems if the game wants to listen on a given port ... since both will try to listen to the same IP: port combo. Not sure if you can install two of them, or perhaps give it two IP aliases and somehow use those.

Alternatively, install virtualbox and two virtual network adapters, then bridge those in windows (or use vbox to run a routing distro and do the bridging there).

The computer should self assign itself an IP address if no DHCP service was found during bootup...the old 169.254.xxx.xxx address.

Howerver, since XP came out (and I think even back in 2k)....there is an "Alternate Configuration" tab on your TCP/IP properties...to be used to assign a specific manual IP address if a DHCP service is not found.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676

Thanks HHunt, the loopback interface worked perfectly.

(I probably should have explicitly said that ipconfig was saying that the ethernet port was not active ["media state: media disconnected"])

Back