Forcing 2560x1440 on my HDTV

Apparently I can create a custom resolution under the NVIDIA Control Panel, I have it set to 2560x1440.

Is forcing a higher resolution on my HDTV which has a native resolution of 1920x1080 a good idea or not? It looks great in gaming but I heard it can ruin the TV if using an incorrect setting. I don't really mind the blurry little text on the desktop which is still readable but not great.

Think about it man. The max resolution of the TV is 1920x1080. It can't magically go beyond that.

The TV has 1920x1080 physical pixels so excluding the use of witchcraft it won't be able to display more than that.

For LCDs anything other than the native resolution looks crap.

It works, I'm using 1440p right now, though smaller text looks kinda blurry but readable, my original question is if I'm forcing a higher resolution will there be any dangers. I created a custom resolution of 2560x1440 via NVIDIA Control Panel at 60Hz and it works.

I don't think it'll hurt it.

This is more or less the same thing as watching 1080i/p on a 720p display.

Yeah, thanks for that. Do you guys know how I can get the image to look better, such as the text because it looks slightly garbled or I can't because I went over the native resolution?

For text, I'd just use the native resolution if possible.

I'm guessing you're using 2560x1440 so you can mirror a 27" display.

Back