Forceware 260.99 still killing cards?

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
I commented on this issue a while back, but it looks like it still hasn't been resolved.

The drivers are completely disabling my GTX260's fan at random (usually after resuming from sleep or hibernation). Months without being resolved...It's like Nvidia is intentionally trying to kill off old cards.

capturedy.png

Is there ANY known solution for this problem yet, or is my GTX260 doomed to roast itself to death? I can't imagine idling at 97c is doing it any good.

Use afterburner to control your fan. Make a custom fan profile and set afterburner to start with windows.

That's not really a fix... I'd really rather not add additional software to work-around an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Anything that can be done with the driver alone? I know I can drop back to an older version which wont have this problem, but that's not exactly ideal either...

erm, i think i've been on these drivers since they dropped and i have yet to have an issue on my gtx 260.

do nvidia cards not just shut the system off when they overheat? i know my buddies 4850 had its fan die and the system will simply turn off if he forgets to blow a fan into the side of his case while playing a game. :p

erm, i think i've been on these drivers since they dropped and i have yet to have an issue on my gtx 260.
How often do you hibernate Windows, though?

The issue seems most likely to stop the fan when the system resumes from hibernation.

do nvidia cards not just shut the system off when they overheat?
Apparently not. I'm kinda worried these driver might have damaged (or significantly shortened the life of) my card. I've just reverted to older drivers, the fan is working correctly again, and the card seems fine...but will Nvidia do anything for me if they did damage the card with these drivers?

Edit: Seems thermal shutdown temperature for the GTX260 is 115c. I imagine loading the card any small amount with the fan malfunctioning would pretty quickly peg 115c and instantly cause the system to shut down.

Last edited:
I generally only sleep my computer, the only time it goes off is when windows manages to sneak an update restart past me or the power goes out.

I've been using the 260.99's on both my desktop and notebook without any issues to speak of since they have been out. Then again, I don't use hibernation, only sleep mode.

Have you considered the possibility that it could be a hardware issue? Meaning that possibly the fan might be dying or bad solder somewhere.

That's not really a fix... I'd really rather not add additional software to work-around an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Anything that can be done with the driver alone? I know I can drop back to an older version which wont have this problem, but that's not exactly ideal either...

You can use third party like that user recommended, or something like EVGA Precision and it would fix your problem. You can also stop using Hybernation or Sleep mode since in your original post I believe you said that's when it often occurs. You can also use a different driver.

You have lot's of solutions to your problem, Pick one, any one. If you don't want to use any of the solutions available to you right now you have two more choices: keep using your pc as is and hope for the best, or don't use your pc and wait for a new driver to be released unless someone here knows how to modify the drivers.

Is there ANY known solution for this problem yet, or is my GTX260 doomed to roast itself to death? I can't imagine idling at 97c is doing it any good.

Months without being resolved...It's like Nvidia is intentionally trying to kill off old cards.

Have you tried the new beta driver from www.nvidia.com? Have you tried cleaning or inspecting the card to see if the fan might be having a problem? Tried a clean driver install? Do you have any apps already on your PC that can control the fan, and if so, did you remove them?

Also if its happening after sleep and hibernation, its not "random". Looking over at the Nvidia feedback forums, this doesn't appear very common either.

After reading this and the other thread where you claim you burned your hand on the back bracket, I think you are just approaching this a bit too dramatically.

You can use third party like that user recommended, or something like EVGA Precision and it would fix your problem. You can also stop using Hybernation or Sleep mode since in your original post I believe you said that's when it often occurs. You can also use a different driver.

Don't want to use 3rd party tools. Covering a software problem with even more software doesn't sound like a great work-around...
Not using Hibernation/sleep is a non-option. Those are basic functions that should be fully supported by the driver.

I've been using a much older driver to avoid this problem for quite some time now, but I'd like to be able to update (or let windows update) the driver without it melting my graphics card...

Have you tried the new beta driver from www.nvidia.com? Have you tried cleaning or inspecting the card to see if the fan might be having a problem? Tried a clean driver install? Do you have any apps already on your PC that can control the fan, and if so, did you remove them?
I'll try the latest beta driver. The fan itself is fine, and fan speed functions perfectly as soon as I install pre-200 series Forceware drivers.

I currently have no apps installed to control fan speed, and the drivers were installed cleanly. All I did post-install was uninstall the 3D Vision portion of the driver, which I don't use.

Also if its happening after sleep and hibernation, its not "random". Looking over at the Nvidia feedback forums, this doesn't appear very common either.
Erm, it is pretty random. It seems mostly likely to happen after resuming from sleep/hibernation, but the fan isn't always stopped after resuming from sleep/hibernation. Sometimes it'll resume correctly, sometimes the driver will prevent the fan from spinning up.

To be fair, the 260.99's are experiencing the issue far less frequently than the drivers I was dealing with in my previous post.

After reading this and the other thread where you claim you burned your hand on the back bracket, I think you are just approaching this a bit too dramatically.
I'm probably lucky I burned my hand while groping behind my desk, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the problem the first time around.

And I think being pissed was a pretty normal reaction to having your fingers lightly singed on a hunk of metal heated to almost 100c...

an update

I tried the latest ones on nvidia's site, whatever revision is later than 260.99 and i got this bug today after coming out of sleep.

my temperatures and fan speed both reported as 0 and trying to manually change it did nothing / randomly resulted in it going back to 0. i rebooted and it actually started windows without spinning but some playing with the speed got it going again and it seems normal again.

strange, if it happens again, i'll be downgrading.

Don't want to use 3rd party tools. Covering a software problem with even more software doesn't sound like a great work-around...
Not using Hibernation/sleep is a non-option. Those are basic functions that should be fully supported by the driver.

I've been using a much older driver to avoid this problem for quite some time now, but I'd like to be able to update (or let windows update) the driver without it melting my graphics card...

Is your reluctance to use 3rd-party software simply because you don't want an additional program always running in the background? If so, instead of running something like Afterburner all the time in order to use a custom profile, you can use that program, Precision, Rivatuner, etc. to just manually set the fan speed, which will continue to work without running the program in the background. I believe they only need to run constantly if you're defining a custom fan profile. That or continuing to use your old drivers seems like your best bet for now. It sucks that you have to do it, but its better than burning up your card.

yup, fan control is completely fucked in 265 or whatever for me.

70% in evga precision = 0 in reality.
it didn't actually start until i cranked it up to about 90%.

idled at 86 until i did, jesus christ and immediately fell to about 50 when it actually went on.

how can this shit still slip by? i had lowered it to like 70 something before before and i guess it just completely shut off the fan. i was playing quake so i guess that wasn't gpu heavy to do anything, but once i went to something a little more intensive for a couple minutes, i ate a black screen to what i assume was imminent thermal shutdown or video driver eating shit. literally have to keep my fan speed cranked to have it even running.

rolling back in the morning i guess. retarded.

what's the last version that absolutely works? i think i don't even want to go back to 260.99. this card needs to last me out till ivy bridge :)

Last edited:
I have been using 260.99 since they came out and have not had one single issue with my gtx260.

I use 260.99 on my 480's in SLI Portrait Surround and my computer goes to sleep and have never had issues. I do run MSI afterburner because it's OC the CPU/mem for me.

not entirely sure what is happening but it's incredibly temperamental with these drivers.

i just came out of sleep and could not get it going again, 0-100 did nothing. a moment before i restart it just starts spinning up faster and faster... pretty much sounded like a jet taking off.

and now it's at a dead stop at 70 and working at 95.

not entirely sure what is happening but it's incredibly temperamental with these drivers.

i just came out of sleep and could not get it going again, 0-100 did nothing. a moment before i restart it just starts spinning up faster and faster... pretty much sounded like a jet taking off.

and now it's at a dead stop at 70 and working at 95.

Have of you guys and girls with these problems tried a format? I would be really curious to see if the problems were coming from old registry settings or some old fan control software still causing a problem. Try it on a old HDD if you have one kicking around, install the 260.99 driver and see what happens.

i seriously just reformatted just a few weeks ago, it's a borderline fresh install.

i just had my fans forced to 70% at all times on my last install and it seemed ok. somewhat hilariously, it seemed ok until last night when i decided to update whatever version this thread is about to the latest one where it broke hideously.

i currently have it stuck at 98%... which is not really 98% but enough to keep the fan spinning at a good pace. whatever works, i guess. i don't feel like playing with a bunch of other driver versions atm.

Is it possible it may be a combination of certain BIOS and driver versions?

I seem to remember these cards can be calibrated for fan speed. Not sure if it's an EVGA only thing, or perhaps Riva Tuner, but there was an option to modify the cards own settings when the fan should come on. In addition, I think the software may tell the card to turn the fan up or down, but "normal" control is built into the card itself.

Have of you guys and girls with these problems tried a format?
Been there, done that, same problem. Anything from the 200 series drivers breaks automatic fan speed for me. Reverting to older drivers always fixes it...

I seem to remember these cards can be calibrated for fan speed. Not sure if it's an EVGA only thing, or perhaps Riva Tuner, but there was an option to modify the cards own settings when the fan should come on. In addition, I think the software may tell the card to turn the fan up or down, but "normal" control is built into the card itself.
Very true, the BIOS on these cards does have limited control over the fan speed when there is no driver present. This allows the fan to operate correctly during POST and before video drivers are installed.

When this bug kicks-in and stops my fan, I've just begun to notice something peculiar happening. Every couple of minutes, the fan will spin for about a second, then immediatly shut back off. It's almost like the video BIOS is detecting the high temperature, wants to set the fan speed, but the driver immediately re-glitches it back to 0%.

It looks like you have both the 5850 and the GTX 260 installed in the same system. Maybe they don't like each other and are having a turf war.

Nah, this also happend before I installed the 5850. Besides, WDDM 1.1 keeps video drivers very seperate from one another.

Nah, this also happend before I installed the 5850. Besodes, WDDM 1.1 keeps video drivers very seperate from one another.

Glad you have a sense of humor about this. How about updating the card's firmware? I'll boot my old system running a 260 GTX later and see if I also have this problem.

There's a newer video BIOS for the GTX260 (192 SP version)?

Not sure why that would be required, or how it would help if the driver is still telling the card to set the fanspeed to 0%, but I'll give it a shot anyhow.

Had to register just to comment that I'm experiencing this issue too.

Geforce 8800 GTS 512 card with 275.33 drivers, problems did start after upgrading really old drivers to this version.

Using WinXP SP3, Intel Core2 Duo E6750, Gigabyte P35-DS3P with BIOS F12.

NVIDIA Monitor reports fan being ran at 33% and not changing up from there.

Older driver was better as I could control fan speed with Speedfan, but not possible with new Nvidia driver.

Oh and indeed, after resuming from standby fan is not throttling up, need to reboot.

There are lot of information from issue where fan is at 100% after resuming from standby, but this is currently only thread that has been similar as my problem.

It does render standby mode virtually unusable, so solution would be great, but as can be seen from version numbers, it seem not to be priority at NVIDIA, makes one suspicious about why there has not been fix.

Back