Forced to buy an IX38 Quad GT over an IP35 Pro

Mase

2[H]4U
What’s with Newegg's return policy now on many of their popular motherboards?
While deciding on which mobo to get, I initially looked at only P35’s due to their maturity and cost. Then I started realizing that of the 5 or so Gigabyte flavors of P35, some had only a limited 30-day replacement policy, while the subsequent model would have a 1-year replacement policy instead… no rhyme or reason why.

I’ve personally never had a mobo go bad on me in the first month (knock on silicon), but I’m buying a new one now because of one that eventually went sour a bit later down the line… I think Newegg’s RMA process is the shit and as easy as it gets. I think dealing with the actual manufacturer is a nightmare/hassle more times than not, and I prefer to do my shopping at Newegg as a result of this…

Well, I finally decided on the IP35 Pro at roughly $180 and then I see the questionable 30-day replacement policy on it. GRRRRR! The additional 1-year replacement policy on it would be an extra $30 to the cost. That’s would put the total at $210 or so…

Sticking with Abit, I check out the IX38 Quad GT and see its inviting price of only $220. Quite the deal for an X38 board. What’s even better is that the IX38 has the typical 1-year replacement warranty that Newegg keeps my business with. So for $10 more and the same piece of mind, I’ve been forced to buy the IX38 over the IP35 Pro.

Just thought some of you may be in the same boat soon and miss the fine print of this dynamic on their website. It may influence your decision as it did mine…

I was lucky enough to get in on the Buy.com Ballistix Tracer deal and ordered 4x1GB stix. The IX38 should be here on Friday. I hope to rebuild this weekend with my current memtest suspect flashy LED Corsair stix and do an OC comparison between the sets, in both 2 and 4 stick configs. Wish me luck.

that's as good a way of justifying upgrading to the next board up as I've seen :p
You'll want to upgrade the BIOS when you get it - you can get beta 12 on the abit forum Beta BIOS sticky.

Whats w/ all the warnings I see about flashing the BIOS under Windows? Does Abit's flash utility suck bad or what?

I've grown accustomed to using the Gigabyte version of this and ditched my floppy drive after years of non use.

It's simply that it's inherently riskier doing it in Windows than in DOS & hence leads to more failed flashes than if done in DOS. & it's possibly worse in Vista than in XP.

I'm not sure about Gigabyte as they don't have their own forum but if you checkout Asus' & MSI's forums you'll see much the same about their utilities.
At least the BIOS chip on an abit is user replaceable if you need unlike on the Asus.

You can flash from a bootable USB memory stick (or indeed a CD too) as well.

Back