Forced Retirement from Folding

Anderu

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2006
Well, it has been a good run. But as of yesterday, my work farm is down for the count.

It wasn't that the boss had anything against running Folding on a few stations, but because of the anal way that internet usage is tracked where I work, the agents were making it appear that I had been spending WAY too much time browsing the net, rather than working. I think the guy told me that I was in the "Top 10" list for internet users last month (102 hours worth???? Puleeease!), and that is NOT a list you want to be on!

What really sucks is, that the hours are in no way representative of bandwidth usage, as the FAH units do not amount to that much over the course of a month. But when the agents would open connections repeatedly, trying to get a unit when the servers were having problems, they were racking up time which was being charged to my account! So I got a "heads-up" from the Sphincter Police, in return for my promise it would not look that way when next month's report came out. Too bad! I was just starting to close in on the top 100.

I will continue to run the SMP client on my home PC, but I am pretty much out of the race for more PPD. So, carry on my brothers! I will be watching, and living vicariously through all of you!

Best of luck!

Rusty
"Anderu"

Bummer man.:( How many machines did you have folding at work?

This is indeed a sad day for the folding community :(
was it because of that thread back in the Chimp Challenge ? :confused:

"The great tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to fold."

It has been a great run, but don't be so sure its over just yet, that one SMP client you'll be running will still put out a respectable PPD. :D

Bummer man.:( How many machines did you have folding at work?

About 20. Mostly single core, but there was 1 quad Xeon, and three or four dual cores running SMP clients. It was when I added those that the hours kind of rose to the point of notice. I am not sure off the top of my head why that would be any different, but apparently, it was.

This is indeed a sad day for the folding community :(
was it because of that thread back in the Chimp Challenge ? :confused:

"The great tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to fold."

No, it had nothing to do with the Chimp Challenge thread. It was purely a matter of the tight-ass way they regulate internet access where I am. Where they measure it in terms of hours, rather than actual consumption. It was either stop, or call down the thunder....and there is too much at stake to be screwing with the man on this one.

Sorry to hear that man...... that really sucks:(

At least you still have a boxen at home, right?

It is hard getting a farm going at work. I think you really need to have good management to realize this is a worthy effort. It probably also helps having a very small IT department so that they don't have time for a "Sphincter Police" unit. I have a lot of boxens I could fold on at work, but I would be in the same boat as you if I folded on them even though my Boss would probably say it was ok. I don't even ask.....so many WUs never even folded what a shame.

Good luck with the SMP at home. Maybe the new NVIDIA client will work out for you if you have one of those cards.

0.png

Sorry to hear this. I know what you are talking about and my workplace can technically track down internet consumption like it does for you but fortunately, we get some leeway (being high up in the IT team help). However, some new corporate policies about login and restrictions made it very hard for me to borg everything. Right now, only 10 computers is borged, 2 on wifi (outside corporate logs), my own work computer and the rest on bench. When I'm going to vacation in 3 weeks, the computers on the bench will not be folding since another guy will be preparing more new computers.... This is even with the permission from my immediate boss but the corporation is so big it's not everyone who agree.

Fortunately, they have too much people to track down individually and some privacy policies forbid them from pinpointing someone without the express permission from the head offices (like you need permission from a judge to get a warrant, you need to justify why). They will mostly block a url or ip if it is a bandwidth drain.

This is why I decided to switch from mostly work farm to mostly home farm to have 100% control on my production. Don't risk your ass for points, even if you fold on just your home computer, your production is still a great contribution ;)

Back