Forced Baptism In Bioshock Infinite = Refund?

I'm all for religious equality but this is ridiculous. I'm sure the guy is not a killer either, yet he's forced to kill.

It's FAAAKE !

I think this story is a fake and its a ploy to get people talking about a game after the sales slowed down.

Besides, you kill people in the game. Shouldn't that be against his religion? Then again they had the crusades :/

Like some people said, there is something wrong with this guy. He is offended because there is baptism in the game but he knew this game promotes violence and murder and apparently he is ok with that, despite Christianity condemns murder. Yeah, ok, I don't understand some people.

If you buy something, that has something that truly offends you in it, something you did not know it contained prior to purchase, you return it, get a refund, and put it all behind you.

(Emphasis added.) Seriously? In a GAME? You realize that most games have some sort of storyline attached to them, right?

The only thing I see here that is stupid, is that it is being publicized after the guy got his refund. What's the point? He had issues with it, he got his refund. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

What's the point? The potential precedent it sets. Are game developers now expected to publish the entire story in detail so that everyone can read the whole thing from beginning to end prior to playing and find out if they might get offended by something? Crap. That won't work since they could be offended by what they READ now. "They didn't warn me ahead of time!"

This is the type of situation where some politician comes out and calls for all media (books, games, movies, etc) to have a sticker/disclosure if it contains something which someone might find offensive. However, since normal people can't possibly predict everything that everyone else might find offensive, all companies will wind up slapping the sticker on their product just to cover their ass and the sticker winds up being useless.

OK I want to seriously understand something. The game is fiction.... his religion is real. Where do the two intertwine? Is this guy seriously stating that he would not watch the movie "In the name of the rose" or possibly "The Da Vinci Code" because the religions used for fictitious plot elements are/are not his religion?

Let me of course add that Valve went above and beyond the call of duty by refunding this guys money but why was did they need to refund it? I suspect that in this guys Steam folder are many games that would test this paradigm that has been put forth to Valve.
2.png

I think what's more pathetic than this guy getting a refund is all the anti-religious trolling going on in this thread. I myself am Christian, but I don't use every thread as an opportunity to bash atheists or other religions or to proselytize on what I believe. Why is it some people just can't help but to smack religion at every opportunity? It does not make you more or less logical to have religious beliefs, it does not make you a better person to be atheist. Jerks come in every flavor, as do good people. I really wish people that think of themselves as "better" than others would gain some freaking humility and learn to treat people they disagree with something over with a shred of respect and decency. You think you're better because you're an atheist? Lead by example then. You know who you are. You're just as bad as this guy whining about a baptism scene. "Oh no, people have religions! I must whine about it all the time!" Can't you see what you're doing? Do you really hate people that much that you don't even know simply because they believe in something you do not? Not every religious person is trying to shove it down your throat, so could you please give the hate a rest for a while?

OK I want to seriously understand something. The game is fiction.... his religion is real. Where do the two intertwine? Is this guy seriously stating that he would not watch the movie "In the name of the rose" or possibly "The Da Vinci Code" because the religions used for fictitious plot elements are/are not his religion?

Let me of course add that Valve went above and beyond the call of duty by refunding this guys money but why was did they need to refund it? I suspect that in this guys Steam folder are many games that would test this paradigm that has been put forth to Valve.
2.png

Maybe his religion is fiction?

Sometimes the customer is not always right. Tell him TFB and flag his account so he can't purchase another game again on Steam.

Sometimes the customer is not always right. Tell him TFB and flag his account so he can't purchase another game again on Steam.

That would be dumb and a really bad PR move. I can see it now, customer has issue with game, requests refund, receives it and gets account with 100 games or more banned. That would be a really, really dumb move.

Oh so everything else in the game is ok then? The killing is religiously ok? Sad part is that steam will refund his money to shut him up, it's the cheapest way out really.

I don't think I've heard of a religion where murder is completely acceptable.... yet...

I actually backtracked when I first started playing the game to see if I could avoid being baptized in the game at all when I first started playing it. You have to do this part in the game was just curious if it could be skipped but it's part of the story line.

If a game had my character fight my twin brother in the womb only to be birthed out of an alien vagina then forcibly baptized in his blood, I would probably still do it.

You've clearly put a lot of thought into this...creeper! :eek:

I have to attend a real baptism next weekend, and I don't wanna.

You should send Steam a letter about it. Maybe they can get you out of it. ;)

Why is it some people just can't help but to smack religion at every opportunity?
People are fed up with religious BS and the internet provides an anonymous forum where people can openly express their ideas.

This fellow (assuming the story is true) is a perfect example of the sort of flawed thinking caused by religious beliefs. Fantasy baptism is blasphemy against his beliefs, but he completely misses the fact that he has been engaging in fantasy witchcraft and fantasy murder. Why? Because religion becomes a part of your personality, and the 'forced baptism' was perceived as a personal attack. You seem to be making a similar judgement in regards to the critics of your beliefs:

I really wish people that think of themselves as "better" than others would gain some freaking humility and learn to treat people they disagree with something over with a shred of respect and decency. You think you're better because you're an atheist? Lead by example then. You know who you are. You're just as bad as this guy whining about a baptism scene. "Oh no, people have religions! I must whine about it all the time!" Can't you see what you're doing? Do you really hate people that much that you don't even know simply because they believe in something you do not? Not every religious person is trying to shove it down your throat, so could you please give the hate a rest for a while?

If pointing out the flaws in religious thinking makes you uncomfortable, well, that's just too bad. You have to attack the BS at the source. If your morality is rooted in magical thinking you will be led to make irrational (and immoral) decisions to protect the idealized moral system you've constructed in your head. This is particularly dangerous when it comes to members of radical/conservative religions who are taught that they have all the answers, but it can also lead to general stupidity like complaining about a fantasy ritual in a fantasy religion in a fantasy game. It reminds me of the churches here in Oklahoma that denounced (even burned) the Harry Potter books when I was a kid. I used to read them at school just to freak out the baptist kids.

It does not make you more or less logical to have religious beliefs, it does not make you a better person to be atheist.

It's about as logical as believing in Santa Claus.

I think what's more pathetic than this guy getting a refund is all the anti-religious trolling going on in this thread. I myself am Christian, but I don't use every thread as an opportunity to bash atheists or other religions or to proselytize on what I believe. Why is it some people just can't help but to smack religion at every opportunity? It does not make you more or less logical to have religious beliefs, it does not make you a better person to be atheist. Jerks come in every flavor, as do good people. I really wish people that think of themselves as "better" than others would gain some freaking humility and learn to treat people they disagree with something over with a shred of respect and decency. You think you're better because you're an atheist? Lead by example then. You know who you are. You're just as bad as this guy whining about a baptism scene. "Oh no, people have religions! I must whine about it all the time!" Can't you see what you're doing? Do you really hate people that much that you don't even know simply because they believe in something you do not? Not every religious person is trying to shove it down your throat, so could you please give the hate a rest for a while?

Because in real life we are bombarded by religion.

I bitch about it on the internet because if I punched a guy who told me Jesus was the answer to my problems I would go to jail.

I still don't understand how he expected to play the game when it is about killing and then he got stopped by a baptism. O well I guess to each there own.

People are fed up with religious BS and the internet provides an anonymous forum where people can openly express their ideas.

If pointing out the flaws in religious thinking makes you uncomfortable, well, that's just too bad. You have to attack the BS at the source. If your morality is rooted in magical thinking you will be led to make irrational (and immoral) decisions to protect the idealized moral system you've constructed in your head. This is particularly dangerous when it comes to members of radical/conservative religions who are taught that they have all the answers, but it can also lead to general stupidity like complaining about a fantasy ritual in a fantasy religion in a fantasy game. It reminds me of the churches here in Oklahoma that denounced (even burned) the Harry Potter books when I was a kid. I used to read them at school just to freak out the baptist kids.

Except some of the atheists have an almost religious zeal in their anti-religion ... I think both extremes are pretty bad sometimes ... the atheists who keep suing over "In God we trust" on money and the atheists AND religious folks who objected to "One nation under God" in the Pledge (so that we don't even say the Pledge of Allegience anymore) are both pretty radical in their thinking and out of alignment with the normal mainstream folks :cool:

That is so horribly untrue in my opinion. In fact, if anything I see people trying too hard to pull religion out everything.

In fact even the suggestion of any spirituality is expunged. For example, In the late 70's the Force was a spiritually powered phenomena. In 2000, it was telekinetic bacteria. WTF?

People can justify pretty muchanything based on "their religion". Shit, a certain ethnic group was given other people's land to form a whole country because if was promised to them by their god.

Well, I demand to be funded for life based on my faith. Please give me your money. God promised it to me while I was in the woods praying.

I bitch about it on the internet because if I punched a guy who told me Jesus was the answer to my problems I would go to jail.

Jesus is the only real answer. :) However, it sounds like you have some personal self control issues that have nothing to do with religion or the topic at hand.

Except some of the atheists have an almost religious zeal in their anti-religion ... I think both extremes are pretty bad sometimes ... the atheists who keep suing over "In God we trust" on money and the atheists AND religious folks who objected to "One nation under God" in the Pledge (so that we don't even say the Pledge of Allegience anymore) are both pretty radical in their thinking and out of alignment with the normal mainstream folks :cool:

It's because fanaticism is a personality trait, not a trait of a religion. I explained this to my mother in law once as such:

What do you get when you have an insufferable, evangelical Christian that becomes an Atheist? You get an insufferable, evengelical Atheist. If the Westboro Baptist Church were to suddenly stop believing in god, all that would probably change is the writing on their signs.

How is this news?

Some idiot Christian was overly offended by something and got his money back, end of story.

It's because fanaticism is a personality trait, not a trait of a religion. I explained this to my mother in law once as such:

What do you get when you have an insufferable, evangelical Christian that becomes an Atheist? You get an insufferable, evengelical Atheist. If the Westboro Baptist Church were to suddenly stop believing in god, all that would probably change is the writing on their signs.

Such a true statement. Whack jobs tend to be whack jobs regardless of their beliefs.

That is so horribly untrue in my opinion. In fact, if anything I see people trying too hard to pull religion out everything.

In fact even the suggestion of any spirituality is expunged. For example, In the late 70's the Force was a spiritually powered phenomena. In 2000, it was telekinetic bacteria. WTF?

That's more George Lucas no longer having to answer to anyone when making his movies. If George Lucas had limitations and people around him that had the balls to tell him when something is stupid, there's a chance those movies were terrible.

People can justify pretty muchanything based on "their religion". Shit, a certain ethnic group was given other people's land to form a whole country because if was promised to them by their god.

Well, I demand to be funded for life based on my faith. Please give me your money. God promised it to me while I was in the woods praying.

Screw you, my God told me to spend my money on computer components.

That's more George Lucas no longer having to answer to anyone when making his movies. If George Lucas had limitations and people around him that had the balls to tell him when something is stupid, there's a chance those movies were terrible.

There's a chance those movies WOULDN'T be terrible. Those movies were SO bad, that it reworded my sentances.

I find myself wondering if this fellow realized he should have been offended by the fact he had to click on an "icon" in order to launch the game in the first place...

I follow the Jedi religion... Live long and prosper...oops, I mean may the force be with you. I have blasphemed. May Yoda and the Force forgive my transgression.

In general, from what I observe is that most religions preaches to do well and love one another and believe in the great creator. Then it gets into a all out pissing war on who is holier and who is loved more by god to get what they believe they were entitled to have.

There was a saying "I believe in god, but I just can stand his fan club." I will take this approach.

So... Dumbass has no problem playing games that require his in-game persona violate sixth commandment (don't kill,) but has a problem with a game that guarantees that your in-game persona accept religion?

Pretty much this. Clueless bashing over beliefs is idiotic.

check his steam achievements. If if truly hasn't passed that past of the game then give the baby his refund. Fuck him if he wants to skip the best game this year. Also get him to give up any xbox or ps accounts to make sure he didn't just buy for another platform.

belief/faith does in fact make someone less logical as belief/faith is in itself illogical.

Religion is like telling me a square is round when I can prove that a square is square. Virtually everything in any religious text can be disproved and yet the religious refuse to except that. So who is the Troll when the religious clam a man lived in a fish for a week or a boat contained 2 of each species both of which can easily be disproved.

Sure we can't fully disprove god....but we can disprove just about every single story in your religious text....but to you 2 + 2 = 73.7 because your religion says so.

It becomes hard to be nice to people who continually say 2 + 2 = 73.7 because their book says so....Some of us non religious do try though.

belief/faith does in fact make someone less logical as belief/faith is in itself illogical.

Religion is like telling me a square is round when I can prove that a square is square. Virtually everything in any religious text can be disproved and yet the religious refuse to except that. So who is the Troll when the religious clam a man lived in a fish for a week or a boat contained 2 of each species both of which can easily be disproved.

Sure we can't fully disprove god....but we can disprove just about every single story in your religious text....but to you 2 + 2 = 73.7 because your religion says so.

It becomes hard to be nice to people who continually say 2 + 2 = 73.7 because their book says so....Some of us non religious do try though.

I would argue that there are 4 types of people though (although we pretend there are only two) ... there are the atheists (those who have taken their own leap of faith ... or logic :p) and who believe in nothing ... there are the agnostics (those who have doubts but keep a foot in both the believing and unbelieving camps) ... there are the spiritual types (those who believe in something unseen or unprovable, but who don't go for the doctrine and dogma of the last type) ... then there are the religious types (those who believe or who are attracted to the dogma) ... not all of these types are antagonistic and some deserve the benefit of the doubt ;)

There is an interesting quote from Yann Martel's The Life of Pi on this:

“It was my first clue that atheists are my brothers and sisters of a different faith. Like me, they go as far as the legs of reason will carry them - and then they leap. I'll be honest about it. It is not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for awhile. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.” The Life of Pi

:cool:

Back