Force Windows to wake at a certain time

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm implementing a new policy that forces our computers to sleep after 30 minutes. The problem is that this interferes with our off-hours virus scanning and scheduled shutdown procedures.

Is there a way to force Windows to wake up at certain times? Preferably a way that could be pushed out via SMS or something else.

This would solve all my problems.

Thanks.

Create a scheduled task, in its properties set a check box next to 'Wake the computer to run this task'.

If that does not work follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929463
and make sure that S3 sleep mode is not disabled in BIOS.

That's great and all, but that can't be pushed to other computers unless I'm missing something.

You can use AT to install a scheduled task on a remote machine, but the AT command has no method to enable the "wake the computer to run this task" option. Going to every machine is not an option.

Thanks for the link, but the scripts don't seem to support anything more in this vein than the AT command.

I suppose Windows just can't do this and I'll need to look at a commercial power-management tool?

You can push a scheduled task...

I bet there is a preference policy that you could take advantage of. If not, you could use a VBScript to copy create the task... if that doesn't work -- couldn't you just copy the task itself?

Copying the task does not copy the security (run as) information. It seems that no matter which way I go after this it's missing some critical component. It's bizarre that this isn't simpler than it is.

While on topic. Does windows backup show in task scheduler? Asking because I have mine set to run weekly, but I don't see the job in task scheduler? It works though.

Back