Force Windows to keep a device uninstalled?

Force Windows to keep a device uninstalled?How do I do this? My laptop does nto properly handle closing the lid (windows is told to do nothign and still cannot handle it), and there is an ACPI Lid device in device manager. Uninstaloling ti requies a reboot, and when it reboots it redetects and reinstalls it. How do I order window not to install that psecific device withou disrupting automatic installation of other devices?

in device manager, on the properties page for the device, the bottom line should give you the option to disable the device. That way it will be installed, but not used.

Maybe that device cannot be disabled, or you don't have admin rights. What group is the device listed under?

shadowwyvern said:
Disable is definately not there. Only Update, uninstall, scan for changes and properties.

Right click the device and choose properties.

You should see a screen like below. Click the drop down at the bottom and choose Do not use this device (disable).

disable.jpg

hity645 said:
He doesn't have that option.

I see now.. I forgot there was a disable option in right click.

Check what hity said about having admin rights or post the name of the device you are trying to disable.

I just checked my laptop and that device isn't able to be disabled either.

I would suggets searching microsoft.com for some info on disabling a device that cannot be disabled, or search for a reg hack to allow you to do so.

Back