Force Unleashed 2 - Anyone picking it up?

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
I'm a little strapped for cash this month, so I probably won't be getting it just yet, but I'm surprised theres no thread here for it.

It comes out today doesn't it?

I have read that it is only about 5 hours long. Not a buy for me but it is at the top of my gamefly list.

seriously, 5 fucking hours!!

Short and I just read a review on destructoid, not a very good review either.

I hope to play it some time after Christmas. Not a game I felt the need to pre-order or pay full price for.

the reviews look horrible that are coming in, i think ill wait long long long long time down the road if ever.

the reviews look horrible that are coming in, i think ill wait long long long long time down the road if ever.

As opposed to the mostly low/mixed reviews the first one got?

Edit: I take back my doubts on the quality of the game...

Last edited:
probably not worth the money

more hype than substance, the first game wasn't anything special

it's such a shame how they have been butchering Star Wars games lately, the SW universe is one of the richest sources for making a goddamn good game with, yet they are half assing it just expecting that the fanboys will give them the profits they need

probably not worth the money

more hype than substance, the first game wasn't anything special

it's such a shame how they have been butchering Star Wars games lately, the SW universe is one of the richest sources for making a goddamn good game with, yet they are half assing it just expecting that the fanboys will give them the profits they need

The gameplay in the first was fun and the story was good.

As for 2: So far- Level design is meh, voice acting is bad, gameplay is still fun, story seems ridiculous and dumb.

My intention here is not to be the obvious troll .... but, just the idea of this game alone told me it was going to suck. It was the same was about the first one. The force is not "magic" yet this game wants you to treat it like it is.

The game is another horrible exaggeration.

My intention here is not to be the obvious troll .... but, just the idea of this game alone told me it was going to suck. It was the same was about the first one. The force is not "magic" yet this game wants you to treat it like it is.

No, i agree with you, I tried the demo for the first game, I liked some parts of the gameplay, but after that, nothing really grabbed me about it.

Just seemed like it was made for the fanboys who would appreciate it more than your average gamer.

The first game wasn't too bad, it had a good story.

The second one is a lot of the same, but the problem is there is about half the content. There are less boss fights, only two really. There are less mini boss fights ... in fact none if you don't count the AT-ST's. It took me about 5-6 hours to beat it. The story was ok, but overall it felt incomplete. Also less mobs to fight, there are stormtroopers, deflector baton thingy guys, saber sith, force power sith, spider bots, robot ninjas, rocket launcher AT-somethingorother, and AT-ST. That is all, literally 8 different mobs the entire game thrown at you in varying combinations.

SPOILER ALERT [highlight to reveal]

The game really needed to have another two chapters to it. I think that Starkiller should have met up with Juno, and then you could have had some nice interactions between them. There was far too little of that in this game, it had a singular purpose, not the more fluid story of the first one. After they meet up they could run a mission or two against imperial targets, this could introduce more varied environments and different gameplay. Then the game could pick back up with Juno getting captured by Boba Fett and finishing up with much more pace and urgency.

END SPOILERS

Overall, rent the game, not bad if you enjoyed the first one and the story is still better than the prequels. But this is really half of a game, they sacrificed a lot to get the sequel out sooner because the first game was a monetary success.

I don't understand. I thought in the expanded universe there are force users with powers greatly exceeding those in the trilogies?

I don't understand. I thought in the expanded universe there are force users with powers greatly exceeding those in the trilogies?

There are. Even Luke has used powers far far beyond what happened in any of the movies.

There are. Even Luke has used powers far far beyond what happened in any of the movies.

Yup. Thought so.

Now if he had said something like "I didn't like the idea of the game because it's a bad story that doesn't fit in-between Episode 3 and Episode 4.

I say this every single time a thread about TFU starts going in the direction of "OMG THE FORCE IN THIS GAME IS A JOKE...IT CAN'T BE USED LIKE THAT." However, the force powers that are shown in the movies are more than likely a result of technical limitations of a live action set (especially in the case of the original trilogy). Hell, just look at the force in Episodes 1-3 compared to 4-6. There is a pretty huge jump in what the force is capable of in the newer movies. TFU does the same thing; it takes the next step in terms of the power of the Force. If you read some of the books, they also do this.

I would understand this complaint if Starkiller was suddenly able to shoot fireballs and summon demons or something ridiculous. However, the powers avalable to him in the game are all things that have been seen in the films (pushing, pulling, lightning, super jumps, etc). They are just much stronger versions of those abilities.

In all seriousness, it is also a video game. That means the key point is that it is supposed to be fun. Who would actually want to play a Star Wars action game where you were limited to what was shown in the original trilogy? It would basically be a generic hack-and-slash where every once in a while you could levitate an object or something...aka boring.

I say this every single time a thread about TFU starts going in the direction of "OMG THE FORCE IN THIS GAME IS A JOKE...IT CAN'T BE USED LIKE THAT." However, the force powers that are shown in the movies are more than likely a result of technical limitations of a live action set (especially in the case of the original trilogy). Hell, just look at the force in Episodes 1-3 compared to 4-6. There is a pretty huge jump in what the force is capable of in the newer movies. TFU does the same thing; it takes the next step in terms of the power of the Force. If you read some of the books, they also do this.

I would understand this complaint if Starkiller was suddenly able to shoot fireballs and summon demons or something ridiculous. However, the powers avalable to him in the game are all things that have been seen in the films (pushing, pulling, lightning, super jumps, etc). They are just much stronger versions of those abilities.

In all seriousness, it is also a video game. That means the key point is that it is supposed to be fun. Who would actually want to play a Star Wars action game where you were limited to what was shown in the original trilogy? It would basically be a generic hack-and-slash where every once in a while you could levitate an object or something...aka boring.

I agree with you there...

I also thought the 1st one was pretty cool...I had fun playing it, and I thought the story was quite enjoyable...

I thought about buying TFU 2, but the reviews that have come out so far changed my mind.
A co-worker of mine bought it yesterday tho, and I'm first in line to borrow it :)

I agree with you there...

I also thought the 1st one was pretty cool...I had fun playing it, and I thought the story was quite enjoyable...

I thought about buying TFU 2, but the reviews that have come out so far changed my mind.
A co-worker of mine bought it yesterday tho, and I'm first in line to borrow it :)

Yeah I don't think I would buy it unless it was discounted. I'm not a big fan of renting, not sure why.

Regardless of the story/reason behind it ... I will never see The Force as magic like this. If you want to do all this crazy stuff, then just call it magic instead of skewing it into something so exagerated it's no longer cool.

people do realize the force isnt real right.......its called fantasy people. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Regardless of the story/reason behind it ... I will never see The Force as magic like this. If you want to do all this crazy stuff, then just call it magic instead of skewing it into something so exaggerated it's no longer cool.

Your opinion has been noted.

Regardless of the story/reason behind it ... I will never see The Force as magic like this. If you want to do all this crazy stuff, then just call it magic instead of skewing it into something so exagerated it's no longer cool.

For all intents and purposes the Force IS magic. Pay attention to how its described. Then look at the classical way magic is described in a lot of fantasy. Hell of a lot of similarities.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It's just a blatant attempt at stealing money from unwary consumers. I put the game down after 20 minutes of playing it. It's so terrible. I wish I could return this pos.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It's just a blatant attempt at stealing money from unwary consumers. I put the game down after 20 minutes of playing it. It's so terrible. I wish I could return this pos.

Its not that bad...

I got the game since i loved the first one, and it was really fun, but it ended quickly. I was definitely not expecting it to end that soon. I had enough fun though that i've started playing through a 2nd time on a harder difficulty with the new skills and costumes and stuff that i've unlocked. the force powers are really fun and powerful and the levels are really highly detailed, i was surprised at how good some of the areas looked. Then i figured out they probably traded 2 more levels / hours of gameplay to make what they had look really nice.

Probably not worth $60 compared to how much you get out of castlevania, but if you just want more, and don't care about comparing it to other games, it's a fun game and i don't really feel bad about buying it.

Wish there was a clear way to send a message to these game companies that releasing a game thats is only 5 hours long and is (apparently) total crap is not acceptable.

Based on what I read here, I'll pass. Thanks all for the heads up.

The game is not total crap and it takes longer than 5 hours if you actually take time to enjoy it instead of ripping through it. And a clear way to send a message is dont buy it.

The game is not total crap and it takes longer than 5 hours if you actually take time to enjoy it instead of ripping through it. And a clear way to send a message is dont buy it.

No it really doesn't take more than 5 hours. I spent tons of time looking through the levels trying to find holocubes, destroying everything in my path etc.... And I beat it in 6 hours with an hour in the middle to eat dinner.

I disagree. I shouldn't be able to finish a $60 game in 5 or less hours, regardless of my skipping all the 'optional' stuff. That's why its called optional. And according to the post above me, he did a lot of searching for 'optional' stuff, and still beat it in 5. So if I skipped it all, what would I get? 4 hours of gameplay tops? Unacceptable.

Like it or not, game quality has severely degraded over the years, and things are just getting worse.

I just picked up "Singularity" on steam recently, and it was decently reviewed and praised, and I LOVE time travel storylines and mechanics. I finished it in 2 days. It was a generic, run of the mill shooter with a mediocre 'time shifting' mechanics which are basically a glorified 'use' button. Oh, a dilapidated chest, click 'use' and its restored! Oh, broken stairs, click 'use' and they repair themselves! *Yawn*. No creativity, no interesting puzzles, and no real use for the time-mechanics device other than aging people, which gets old super fast. (see wut i did thar?)

I played Final Fantasy 13, and for all the time in development and all the hype, we got an admittedly pretty, but extremely linear game which doesn't hold a candle to FF2 or FF3 (US numbering) in terms of story, character development, or game play. The combat system was fast paced, but you couldn't even control more than 1 character in your party, and even that was mostly spent pressing 'auto attack' and occasionally switching paradigms.

In fact, I think one of the few games that has actually been impressive recently is Minecraft, and thats a game still in Alpha being made by an Indie dev. Over in PC gaming, there's a 40 page thread on Minecraft, and its sold over 500,000 copies. How is it that a single person creating an 8-bit video game in his spare time can make a game which is more successful and enjoyable in it's alpha phase than this star wars game which costs $60 and is a finished result of an entire team of people? Probably because he doesn't have a team of executives forcing him to release a product based solely on brand recognition before its ready, just so said executives can get their bonus checks sooner rather than later.

One person not buying the game doesn't send much of a message. Still, I won't buy it, just because I don't think I'd get my monies worth. Now back to my $13 game which I've spent at least 100 hours on so far.

It is and not really. If you sit and stare at the walls maybe it'll take longer but I like to actually play my games, not twiddle my thumbs and prod slowly through them. If it was an awesome, solid, 5 hour experience with well defined characters and a great story it would be different. TFU2 has none of that and while the gameplay is fun, the level design is crap making it not overly fun to navigate. You can't really explore anywhere either, the levels are so tightly defined and blocked off.

In fact, I think one of the few games that has actually been impressive recently is Minecraft, and thats a game still in Alpha being made by an Indie dev. Over in PC gaming, there's a 40 page thread on Minecraft, and its sold over 500,000 copies. How is it that a single person creating an 8-bit video game in his spare time can make a game which is more successful and enjoyable in it's alpha phase than this star wars game which costs $60 and is a finished result of an entire team of people? Probably because he doesn't have a team of executives forcing him to release a product based solely on brand recognition before its ready, just so said executives can get their bonus checks sooner rather than later.

Because simple "test of skill" games are actually quite entertaining. Big budget games feel like the need to tell a story and hold the user's hand through some path where the game is so easy they can't possibly fail. But the gaming industry has its history rooted in simple games which are challenging and interesting on a basic level, I'm guessing that's what most [H] users gre up with. Now that style of game is the domain of online flash games or indie developers while the big budget game developers work on trying to tell epic stories in video game form which really doesn't hit the "gamer" need as much as the simple skill test games used to do.

Wish there was a clear way to send a message to these game companies that releasing a game thats is only 5 hours long and is (apparently) total crap is not acceptable.

Based on what I read here, I'll pass. Thanks all for the heads up.

people send messages by not buying games. game compnaies make what people buy, and currently that means 5 and 6 hour long games like medal oh honor and fu2. expect the trend of short mediocre games to continue.

I can't even remember the last game I played with a large game world and exploration. possible the witcher was the last one.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

people send messages by not buying games. game compnaies make what people buy, and currently that means 5 and 6 hour long games like medal oh honor and fu2. expect the trend of short mediocre games to continue.

I can't even remember the last game I played with a large game world and exploration. possible the witcher was the last one.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well at least we know there won't be a TFU3, or if LucasArts decides to make one it will be an entirely different team because the TFU2 team is gone.

if I love the first one
should I get the 2nd one for 360 or for pc
my pc is top of the line btw

if I love the first one
should I get the 2nd one for 360 or for pc
my pc is top of the line btw

You shouldn't get it at all. Its worse that the first game. They managed to fix all the problems with the first, while breaking everything that was good.

Back