Force member servers to use a specific logon server

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
I have two Domain Controllers. We will call them DC01 and DC02.

I want to take DC01 down to replace a drive. We support numerous web apps and some of the web servers/sql servers are authenticating off of DC01 (provided by SET LOGON) and I want no interuptions (more specifically our GS customers want no interuptions).

What do I need to do to force the web/sql servers to authenticate off of DC02?

ad will allocate them a random available server from the site the machines are in, if dc01 goes offline at some point the members will realise and request a new dc, ad will then issue dc02 as the authentication server to use.

ad will allocate them a random available server from the site the machines are in, if dc01 goes offline at some point the members will realise and request a new dc, ad will then issue dc02 as the authentication server to use.

Just make sure the 2nd DC is a Global Catalog server and authitication should be fine unless the app has had a LDAP server spificied in the configuration.

Appreciate it guys.

I knew that it would fail over once offline, but I know there is a short period before it requests the new DC.

We have very strict customers.

Anyways, I just informed them that I was doing this and they will experience minimal downtime.

do it at 2am and hope for the best... welcome to the world of IT

you should really get some raid5 on your dc... so if a drive fails you just throw in another

I sent out an interuption notice and replaced it within a single reboot.

Our DCs use raid 1. They do not need raid 5.

do it at 2am and hope for the best... welcome to the world of IT

you should really get some raid5 on your dc... so if a drive fails you just throw in another

RAID 5 is actually slower that mirror for reads and he shouldn't have had to take down the server to replace the drive. Any server class machine would be hot-swap.

WE do raid 1 with an online hot spare. that way if a drive fails it auto rebuilds the array without down time. also you can lose 2 drives and function with raid 1 + online spare vs only 1 drive with raid 5.

Back