Force Balls? LAME!

iansilv

Limp Gawd
I just read this over at Kotaku or whatever about Force unleashed:

"Then something really bothered us. We noticed that when the troopers died, green orbs popped out like we've seen in God of War. While we're sure these orbs are intended to fill the force meter, their fantasy-based nature really sucked us away from the hyperrealism of gorgeous floating Storm Troopers, grabbing on to any near object in attempt to save life and limb."

http://kotaku.com/359505/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-eyes+on

What the heck? I think this sucks- I hate it when they inject crap like that in to a game- there were no force green balls int he movies, why here? LUCASARTS- DON'T BLOW THIS GAME!

Doesn't surprise me, the console only releases tended to have stupid crap like that.

[...]these orbs are intended to fill the force meter

Well it's a game mechanic.. what would you rather have? ulimited force powers? infinite bullets as well? Most games have a factor of scarcity involved to some what prod the user forward.. i would have laughed if they would have made it so once you used up your force meter that's it for the whole game... lol..

it's a minor issue that can be lived with while you play what looks to be a good game..

This is pretty common in most PC and Console games. Floating orbs for pickups or conveniently placed ammo and health in a level. I am rather partial to the room right before a big battle that always happens to be filled with tons of everything.

But I do agree that it seems out of place in this situation. I would have gone with a stamina bar for the force power. Something that rejuvenates over time but still gives you a limit. Plus it could get bigger as you get more powerful. Overall though it will be how it feels when I play it that makes the biggest difference. I can look past force orbs.

Or simply make using the force a bit of a minigame. While you are using it, the minigame gets more and more difficult and a cooldown meter charges. Maybe include a negative effect for overloading the cooldown meter. Once you stop using it, the cooldown meter discharges after a little while. Sounds like a fair approximation of having to concentrate on using an ability like that.

Or just have a force meter and no orb gimmicks. Let it recharge on its own and be done with it.

Just make it to where you can use it for a short time before it drains. As in getting tired of sorts then it auto refills. Then as you move a long and get more powerful it lasts longer and refills faster. Easy as that.

those ideas make perfect sense to me- just a simple meter that powers down as o use the force, and maybe the speed at which it drains slows as you move up in levels gaining more experience.

But Force balls? That's disgusting! :)

They're not done with the game so technically if enough people complain they might remove the cliche force balls.

I don't think they'll have much choice other than to make your force meter recharge on its own. If they make using your force powers necessary (obviously they will) to trigger an event in order to continue (ex: blowing away a blast door blocking an objective) then what would the player do if their force meter has run dry? Load to the last checkpoint and make sure they don't run out? If anything these orbs would be use to expedite force recovery, or perhaps they're used for xp to put toward new abilities (a la God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.)

how about sitting in a corner and meditating to gather force power eh? or at least regenerate it over time.. might as well call the game "god of sith" now

how about sitting in a corner and meditating to gather force power eh? or at least regenerate it over time.. might as well call the game "god of sith" now
Bingo. Meditation, not floating green orbs.

They could make a cool game here, but odds are they'll just end up fucking it up to please the simpleminded. Oh well!

I don't mind it but I'm all for the unlimited force idea, though with restriction, like you got unlimited but you have a bar as to how much you can use and wait for regeneration.

I think the half life idea is just as stupid if not worse than the "force balls."

I don't know if they did this in any other Star Wars game... but what about just letting it fill up automatically like the KoTOR series?

Eeh stormtroopers and realism in the same sentence? The writer needs to check his head.

they did it just to piss you off.

well, try the demo when available and if you still don't like it....don't buy the game. it would be wholly different if the game play was different, and then a patch required the new methodology/mechanics to adopted.

I can see and understand both sides of the coin on this, but ultimately if it is that big of a deal to you, then it is a deal breaker, and spend your cash elsewhere.

Its not the worse thing ever by itself, just kind of a bad sign for the rest of the game. I really hope it doesnt turn out to "arcadey", but time will tell. I suppose if you had to sit around waiting for your powers to regen it would take away from the pure action feel they are trying to go for with the combat.
In all honesty I'll probably pick it up no matter what, I just hope they realize the full potential of the idea. It could be really good.

-dave

It's a console game, inevitably collecting x number of forceballs will unlock achievement y.

There had better be a "longest chain of force suspended stormtroopers holding hands" achievement too.

Anyways, the green balls are clearly the ghosts of dead midichlorians.

...possibly...

I already have a feeling this game is going to blow anyway.

Look at all the development videos out showing actual gameplay, what do you see? mostly force push/pull/throw mechanics.

Wheres the gameplay vid of your character going into a room and slaughtering every stormtrooper with nothing more than your bad ass lightsaber skills?

Me thinks they are so up on this euphoria bs engine they have, that the games central mechanic is going to simply be this foce pull/push bs. Its starting to feel already like any swordplay aspect to the game is going to be tacked on as an afterthought.

Id love to be wrong, but .................... =\

Force powers are supposed to be the main focus of the game. Hence, the name.

Its Star Wars people ... realism has never been its strong suit. You shoot lightning from your hands, use telekenetic powers, and use a sword with a blade made of a tight loop of highly focused energy. Green balls, a game mechanic, is hardly something to get your panties in a bunch over.

I don't know if they did this in any other Star Wars game... but what about just letting it fill up automatically like the KoTOR series?

That is the way the JediKnight games worked. The force meter just refilled over time. Unlimited force use would have made those games severely unbalanced. Could have just built up lightning and push and electrocuted/slammed your way through the games with little difficulty.

Is it really that big of a deal? Jesus christ

sums up my thoughts, I fail to see what the big deal is...it's a video game, video games have this type of stuff.

I don't see this type of complaining when games have "health packs" which magically give you more "life."

because its Star Wars, and Star Wars has light saber, its like, final fantsy without chocobos, its been done, and lots of people hated it.

Did you bitch about being able to use guns in the other Jedi games?

No I did not and thats an oversimplification of the argument, the Dark Forces series core mechanic that it was a first person shooter FIRST. Then when it moved over to being an fps/3rd person perspective lightsaber game it did so fairly well. Plus it eventually got to the point that it was quite impossible to progress without use of your lightsaber. You simply couldnt blast your way through 24/7.

My whole deal with this game is that all they are showing is the main character walking into a room, and just using force push like its going out of style. Ok goody, i get it, the dudes got force push. Now let me see him go in and slaughter a fuckton of storm troopers with nothing more than some really sick lightsaber moves. let me see him walk in and turn half the men in the room against each other with mind tricks. let me see him raise a guy up and start breaking bones with the force, let me see him move quicker and slow down time with his powers. I mean this guy is a sith in training, and the best and so far only meaningful thing at his disposal is force push and some lightning? Seriously, why even give him the saber? worst sith evar imo. unless the game comes out and shows otherwise, it seems to me his saber is just window dressing. Its just there for asthetics.

Supposedly the main character is supposed to kill jedi in the game. Hopefully there will be some worthwhile saber play in there instead of "push the jedi off the ledge with your force push" kind of boss battles. =\

Sorry my opinion might be unpopular, but this game looks lame already.

Jedi and Sith user lightsabers, I want to see trailers and gameplay with some fairly deep lightsaber gameplay mechanic before i jump on the lucasarts ass kissing bandwagon and proclaim this game ♥♥♥ for 08.

Back