Forbidding vistas: Windows licensing disserves the user

Araanor

Limp Gawd
I have been a bit leery of Vista, but I enjoy having new operating systems and Windows is the PC gaming platform...

http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archi...tas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html

Reading the Windows Vista license is a bit like preparing for breakfast with Lewis Carroll's Red Queen: You should be ready to believe at least six impossible things about what users want from software.

It is unlikely that a home user looking for a computer operating system has any of these "features" of the Vista EULA in mind:

1. Self-limiting software
2. Vanishing functionality through invalidation
3. Removal of media capabilities
4. Problem-solving prohibited
5. Limited mobility
6. One transfer only
and a bonus,
7. Restrictions on your rights to use MPEG-4 video

This puts the nail in the coffin for me. There are limits to the control I am prepared to give someone else over my computer, and what the article I linked above outlines is a massive transgression. In Vista's current state, I can't possibly justify getting it.

I'll have to stick with Win XP, or maybe even get Linux I guess.

You know, while I realize that there's plenty to be upset about, there have been multiple recent threads open on the exact same issue, starting several weeks ago.

Not another thread on this.... :(

If you read around, even just on the threads in here, you'll see that it isn't going to be any trouble at all. 5+ years ago, the same panic went up over XP's activation, and that turned out to be nothing to worry about (for legal users). Why even take the time to post this and get worked up about it, when Microsoft already re-clarified, stating it won't hurt enthusiasts?

Araanor said:
Yeah yeah. What about points 3, 4, 6 and 7?
Mostly "Wendy" showing how closed-minded she is.

3. Revoking licenses happens already. When Winamp was hacked, the WMA playback license was revoked (and a new one issued after the loophole was fixed). AACS has a similar scheme where keys can be revoked. Both are by design of the formats, and will happen on any supported playform including stand-alone HD-DVD or Blu Ray players. Don't like protected WMA or protected videos? Don't use them then. No one is forcing you to.

4. Wendy defined her own interpretation of the clause to include "debugging and problem-solving" where it is not even implied. It does seem to have to do with hacking the OS to gain features not granted by the license or circumventing DRM.

6. Another stupid point. The license can be moved from one machine to another only once. Nothing prevents the final destination computer from being donated if it has a transferred license, unless the only license it has is a volume or educational license. Surprise, surprise, it's the same way now.

7. What is Wendy complaining about, that the MPEG-4 recordings made in Vista are for personal use only and not for commercial distribution? Buy a commercial license or a program that grants a commercial license. Vista only comes with a license for personal use.

<insert get in the kitchen/internet picture>

Wendy's on an anti-drm/anti-closed source crusade. Windows isn't for everyone I guess. :rolleyes:

pxc said:
Mostly "Wendy" showing how closed-minded she is.

Wendy's on an anti-drm/anti-closed source crusade. Windows isn't for everyone I guess. :rolleyes:

LOL!

Besides anyone who switches completely to Linux will limit their ability to play games, which IMHO is the best reason for a computer.

djnes said:
the same panic went up over XP's activation, and that turned out to be nothing to worry about (for legal users).

XP activation is fine the first time. Start changing hardware - even as little swapping USB ports (in my experience) - and you'll have to call. That is a huge encumbrance to the Legal user. Suddenly I feel like a criminal when I've done nothing illegal.

As far as the items listed in the first post, an OS has no right to police my system outside of self-validation. Maybe that's a bit contradictory of my previous paragraph but I felt it needed to be stated. I simply can't justify paying $300+ for a piece of software that makes me feel like a crook. Regardless, I've already begun the migration to Linux and OSS.

I would enjoy using Linux, but I don't like software that makes me feel like a hippie.

I too do not like the "hippy"-ness that can be prevalent in linux. The linux user group has a "Peave, love, linux" poster in their lab, and every time i see I want to ignite it.

Anyhow, on topic:
I have no problem with having to call MS to get XP validated. Small inconvenience. But from what I hear you may well have to buy a new license of vista for a new video card, or sound card, either that or you can change around hardware twice or something before having to buy another license.

I do not want to have an illegal OS, but if MS expects me to pay $150 to use my new video card, motherboard, whatever, that is simply crazy. I would not mind having to pay a nominal fee, of say $10 or something to transfer to another motherboard. Naturally, I would rather pay nothing, but I guess it is not appropriate to expect reasonable license terms from anybody anymore...

With regards to point 6: What is XP's terms on that subject? I believe you are not supposed to transfer to a different computer (defined by the motherboard), but I know people do it all the time, I did it a few times, and it always activated without any problem...

shadowwyvern said:
But from what I hear you may well have to buy a new license of vista for a new video card, or sound card, either that or you can change around hardware twice or something before having to buy another license.
You're hearing the old rumors that have since been determined to be untrue.

shadowwyvern said:
Alright, well I guess sensationalistic rumors take a long time to die...
Especially when the majority of people spreading them have so much anti-MS hatred, it makes them ignore rationale and facts.

come on you guys, we all know that if you say something enough times it eventually becomes true.

Domingo said:
According to Neowin, it sounds like MS's team is definitely listening to the enthusiast crowd, now. Wouldn't shock me to see more changes, too.
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35970

It is just a cryin shame that so many "enthusiasts" will put so much time and effort into rallying around on a forum to bitch, complain, moan, and groan, yet so few will submit their feedback directly to Microsoft.

If people have a problem with Microsoft in any way they need to direct their complaints TO Microsoft, not at Microsoft. :p

SJConsultant said:
It is just a cryin shame that so many "enthusiasts" will put so much time and effort into rallying around on a forum to bitch, complain, moan, and groan, yet so few will submit their feedback directly to Microsoft.

If people have a problem with Microsoft in any way they need to direct their complaints TO Microsoft, not at Microsoft. :p

I did make a formal complaint to MS personnally...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1116119 since this announcement deserve his own topic. Even fired a PM to Kyle to make it on the front page.

Xilikon said:
I did make a formal complaint to MS personnally....

Very few do. But it is nice to know there are a few who direct their feedback through the appropriate channels. :D

elation said:
Regardless, I've already begun the migration to Linux and OSS.

Enjoy your games of Crysis and Oblivion on your Linux Os...oh wait, nevermind that's right, you CAN't play those games under Linux..... :D

Seriously. People are getting all whacked out over something that has been around for years in one form or another.

TheRapture said:
Enjoy your games of Crysis and Oblivion on your Linux Os...oh wait, nevermind that's right, you CAN't play those games under Linux..... :D

Seriously. People are getting all whacked out over something that has been around for years in one form or another.

MS has a monopoly on my main box - no doubt. I plan on staying with XP/2k until I no longer game (or other options become available). But to clarify - Linux will do just fine on all other PCs in my realm. :cool:

Back