For Trade: loads of dual socket 2011 boards

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 18 Asus Z9PH-D16 motherboards, looking to trade them for something interesting, preferably a 4P system but will entertain other offers.
(for the curious, I received these for free when a local cluster was upgrading their hardware).

Do you have the nodes they go in?

I have the little half width 1U cases they go in, but no PSU's. (I think I can get a few of the 2U enclosures which each hold four nodes as well).

PSU's are going to be annoying, since these things take custom power. Unless you have the wiring harness and the PDU's for the enclosures, finding something that'll work will be tough.

PSU's are going to be annoying, since these things take custom power. Unless you have the wiring harness and the PDU's for the enclosures, finding something that'll work will be tough.

I think you are gonna have to do some legwork if you wanna offload these.
Specially if you plan on profiting off free parts. ;)

Edit: per the manual... it requires 2x ATX 20pin power connectors.
That is gonna be ugly...

Last edited:
Only one of the two is required, it has two so you can do power entry from the left or right for cable routing reasons, I believe.
should be fairly easy to splice a bunch of PCIe connectors together, all you need is a crimp tool and the connectors.

I think you are gonna have to do some legwork if you wanna offload these.
Specially if you plan on profiting off free parts. ;)

Edit: per the manual... it requires 2x ATX 20pin power connectors.
That is gonna be ugly...

The two power headers are for redundant power, that's all. Not a big deal. It will run with one. But...

Take a GOOD look at that wiring diagram in the manual - they may be ATX 20-pin connectors, but it's absolutely NOT an ATX format. There's 3 or 4 sets of 4 wire 12v+GND in that header, and absolutely NO 5v (edit: there is ONE pin with +5v). That board will not run off any standard PSU, which is why the Asus website says "Custom Power Supply Required".

I had already looked into these a couple weeks ago because I found a super cheap source to buy a handful of them. I ended up not doing so specifically because it meant either buying the entire enclosure to make them work or modding the crap out of a power supply and praying I don't blow something up in the process.

Last edited:
The two power headers are for redundant power, that's all. Not a big deal. It will run with one. But...

Take a GOOD look at that wiring diagram in the manual - they may be ATX 20-pin connectors, but it's absolutely NOT an ATX format. There's 3 or 4 sets of 4 wire 12v+GND in that header, and absolutely NO 5v (edit: there is ONE pin with +5v). That board will not run off any standard PSU, which is why the Asus website says "Custom Power Supply Required".

I had already looked into these a couple weeks ago because I found a super cheap source to buy a handful of them. I ended up not doing so specifically because it meant either buying the entire enclosure to make them work or modding the crap out of a power supply and praying I don't blow something up in the process.

This ^

It doesn't take a standard PSU. You need the enclosure with the appropriate PSU to run these and those enclosures with the proper supplies can be VERY costly.

so it turns out you can get the board to turn on by jamming a pair of EPS12V ("8-pin CPU") connectors into the power connector (make sure to get the polarity right!)
or rather, the lights light up - I lack a CPU so I can't completely verify that the board is happy, but it bodes well...
If anyone is looking to buy 'em, I'd take $2k + shipping for the lot, if you want fewer we can work something out over PM (say $500 for 4).

so it turns out you can get the board to turn on by jamming a pair of EPS12V ("8-pin CPU") connectors into the power connector (make sure to get the polarity right!)
or rather, the lights light up - I lack a CPU so I can't completely verify that the board is happy, but it bodes well...
If anyone is looking to buy 'em, I'd take $2k + shipping for the lot, if you want fewer we can work something out over PM (say $500 for 4).

IMHO, lights "lighting up" is far from a test. Anyway, GLWS!
PM coming.

ttt, still available
I need more cash and less stuff, so price drop to 10 for $500.

Back