For those who use an air compressor to dust their keyboards - is a water trap necessary?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got fed up with the ludicrous price of canned air and picked up an air compressor just for cleaning my keyboard, heatsinks, etc. I can't be the only one, so I'm curious if you've found it necessary to use a water trap/separator attachment, or is the moisture the same as you'd get from the canned air?

By air compressor do you mean electric air duster? or are you using something like a car air compressor?

Reactions: viivo
like this
I use a DataVac ED500, right out of the box with the slight air focusing attachment. No extra moisture or any other problems.

Shop compressor seems a bit harsh on the boards...

like this
While a water trap probably isn't necessary, I do like to run mine with a regulator to drop the pressure from the 120psi it comes out of the tank at. (I also have a water trap attached but it's more for painting with the airgun)

like this
Thanks for the replies.

By air compressor do you mean electric air duster? or are you using something like a car air compressor?

Just a small one with a 3gaI. tank and electric motor. I don't think it would have the pressure to fill a car tire - at least not quickly - but as a compact tool for indoor use only it's perfect.

I use a DataVac ED500, right out of the box with the slight air focusing attachment. No extra moisture or any other problems.

Shop compressor seems a bit harsh on the boards...
I use a DataVac ED500 as well. Works really well and it's a lot safer then an air compressor.

6gallon porter cable air compressor with a trigger nozzle to control flow and placement.

When using the air compressor, just set the output pressure valve to around 40 psi and you'll be good without worry of blowing stuff off the boards. I've never seen the need for a water trap. Most of the water stays in the tank anyway. I open the bottom tank valve after use to let the water out and allow it to dry out.

No water trap necessary. Just use whatever compressor and blow gun you have. You can likely ignore the recommendation to regulate the pressure down. It is not necessary since all modern blow guns are built with "safety" first so you will never get super high pressure coming out. If you have an older blow gun that isn't neutered by modern regulations, then by all means regulate it down.

If you are pulling out of a shop compressor that stays on and pressurized all the time - a water trap is a good idea

If it’s a small unit that you just turn on when you need it and the tank is not kept pressurized in between - no need

My computer system's best friend (y)

IMG_20190606_182331.jpg

For dusting on the go:
51UiWD0DxzL._SL1000_.jpg

I keep this in my truck for dusting computers, server racks, switches, etc. Nice and portable without having to worry about finding an outlet. Should work fine on keyboards too.

Last edited:
This depends on the humidity of the ambient air. When it is very humid your compressor will spray water.

When it's not very humid it won't.

All that aside water is relatively harmless to electronics that are powered off.

I've been known to take PCs outside and use an actual leaf blower. Most of the time though, I use a Hurricane: http://www.canlessair.com/ I received one as a gift for Christmas some years ago. It's worked out great so far.

My dad just picked up a leaf blower a adjustable throttle Toro so ill be using that every 6 months.

Back