For those who haven't, would you buy a PSP if...

Would you buy a PSP if it could play DVD's, CD's and maybe even PSone and PS2 games?

• Yes, I would love those features

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • No, those features would not win me over

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • No, it still would have too many manufacturing/other problems

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Not sure, would need to see more details

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

Xaeon

Limp Gawd
it was slightly larger than the model that was released but was able to play DVD's, CD's and perhaps even PSone and/or PS2 games in addition to UMD? It is already too big to fit in a pants pocket, and a little extra size would allow a larger battery and therefore longer battery life.

I know I would be all over this thing if it could play DVD's and still be comparable in price to the version that was released.

Comments?

Put the brakes on there. Full-size DVDs? Uh, no thanks. Why not stick with the mini-DVD standard? It keeps the PSP the same size and now uses an open format.

Sony has a bad history of going with proprietary formats with many of their products so they can 1) control the content that goes on their machine and 2) get royalties for using their format. The only company that's worse is Nintendo.

The PSP will NOT play anything but the games that are built to play on it :mad:

R!P13y, no it doesn't have the capability to play any disc besides UMD. The main reason I ask this is I would love to have a portable gaming system that could also play movies, but I will never buy something like this that forces me to rebuy my extensive DVD collection on a proprietary format. The ability to play games isn't enough for me to want to buy a PSP at it's current price point (for both games and the system).

I was actually disappointed when I found out it didnt, its big to begin with, but then again, I could just buy a loptop....hrm.

Xaeon said:
R!P13y, no it doesn't have the capability to play any disc besides UMD. The main reason I ask this is I would love to have a portable gaming system that could also play movies, but I will never buy something like this that forces me to rebuy my extensive DVD collection on a proprietary format. The ability to play games isn't enough for me to want to buy a PSP at it's current price point (for both games and the system).

yeah i just went and research the PSP and found that out and yeah that would all be cool but they dont do it and that sux

I would buy a PSP if it was $100 cheaper and the games were $25 cheaper. So maybe next year.

I think it would have been cool if it could play the mini disc format but it doesn't so oh well.

No I dont plan, and would not buy a PSP. Years of gameboy have lead to my cronic "gameboy neck" and now I need a back-e-otomy.

I meant for the "No, it still would have too many manufacturing/other problems" to cover that.

Xaeon said:
I meant for the "No, it still would have too many manufacturing/other problems" to cover that.

well... it doesnt really.... that implies that I dont like the PSP at all. I do, it's just to expensive for my tastes. And "manufacturing problems" are diffrent from "massive ergonomics" problems.

Hate_Bot said:
well... it doesnt really.... that implies that I dont like the PSP at all. I do, it's just to expensive for my tastes. And "manufacturing problems" are diffrent from "massive ergonomics" problems.

True ... I thought console companies had learned from the old NES and SNES "flat" controllers .... guesss not.

Anything to do with pricing, ergonomics, etc. can fit under "other" problems. I wanted an option that could blanket any other reasons people could have to say no so as not to bias the results too greatly. I know its not a scientific study and has no bearing, but bottom line, I wanted to know what percentage of people would say yes. The reason for saying no doesn't matter to me as long as those people are factored in to the tally of all respondants.

As for ergonomics problems, I don't really see that being an issue. It would only be an increase of about 4.5 cm in overall height and maybe .5 cm in depth. Just imagine the current incarnation with a cd shaped bulge in the middle around the screen. It's not that much of a stretch if you ask me.

Hell no, that would be wayyyyyy too big. If I want to watch movies I use my portable DVD player. If you don't want to rebuy a massive DVD collection simply buy a PSP and portable DVD player and the cost of a meaningful DVD collection will significantly dwarf the price of the portable DVD player. Nobody with an extensive DVD collection should complain about the price of a portable DVD player, unless of course that person actually doesn't have that large of a collection.

I wouldnt mind picking one up for my train rides, but at the moment the price doesnt seem right. Also, I plan on waiting to see how this whole "dead pixel" policy pans out.

Yes. I almost bought a PS2 instead of a GameCube originally. I shall kill for Burnout 3 and Star Wars Episode 3 and other games.

If the PSP could play PS2 games, I would buy it alongside my DS right away.

I guess I'll just have to wait for a GCP that uses the GC minidisks instead :(

If they added those features and sold it for $100, then I would concider buying one.

kick@ss, not everyone who has a lot of DVD's also travels enough to justify buying a portable DVD player. For me it's more of a nice-to-have. I can't see me using it enough to justify the cost. HOWEVER, I do like portable gaming systems, although I'm not hardcore. If there was a system that incorporated DVD playback for a reasonable price I would likely buy it. In other words, the price for a portable DVD player and a PSP are enough to get me to not buy, but a unit that had both would be worth it for me.

inotocracy said:
I wouldnt mind picking one up for my train rides, but at the moment the price doesnt seem right. Also, I plan on waiting to see how this whole "dead pixel" policy pans out.

any lcd is inherant to getting dead pixels nature of the beast.

Adding a full size DVD drive along with the UMD would take the portable out of playstation portable imo.

Personally, I think the idea of watching movies on this is going to be a waste of time for Sony. Of course since they own a film studio, they'll waste time and money converting movies to a format that no one really wants. Are you going to buy a UMD movie that you already own on DVD, but can only be played on a handheld?

The UMD format is only going to be used for games. Closed formats never work for the masses. I thought Sony would have learned from Betamax.

Torgo said:
Personally, I think the idea of watching movies on this is going to be a waste of time for Sony. Of course since they own a film studio, they'll waste time and money converting movies to a format that no one really wants. Are you going to buy a UMD movie that you already own on DVD, but can only be played on a handheld?

The UMD format is only going to be used for games. Closed formats never work for the masses. I thought Sony would have learned from Betamax.
I'll be buying movies that I know my wife wouldn't enjoy, like Saw...I KNOW you can identify with me on this, Chris. ;)

jonneymendoza said:
i wud get a psp if it was free.. end of story
Wud you now? I wud too, but then, it wudn't make much sense for sony to just give them away now wud it?

retardedchicken said:
no, just think about how big it would need to be.

Now if DS could play gamecube games.... :eek:

That would have been possible seeing as the Gamecube games are mini.

Is there a GIANT demographic of people that don't ever read books, magazines, etc while waiting to do something? i.e. train ride, etc.

Whatever happened to just staring out a window man?

I'm the Dude said:
Is there a GIANT demographic of people that don't ever read books, magazines, etc while waiting to do something? i.e. train ride, etc.

Personally, i love just staring out a window on car trips.

Akuma said:
If they added those features and sold it for $100, then I would concider buying one.

...that's just silly. The handheld already has more features than anything else on the market. You expect them to add more and make it cheaper?

Bane said:
Personally, i love just staring out a window on car trips.

I do too, but some trips are just absolutely boring (Trips that require the interstate, for instance, since it all looks exactly the same).

I'm the Dude said:

I know, all I need is my CD player and I'm fine.

I would buy the PSP if it weren't a portable PS2 with crappy MP3 playback (i.e. if it were something different). I would buy it if it really WAS as revolutionary as people are pegging it out to be (it has nothing revolutionary about it). I would also buy it if it was free.

WickedAngel said:
...that's just silly. The handheld already has more features than anything else on the market. You expect them to add more and make it cheaper?
If they want me to buy it, yes.

Filter said:
any lcd is inherant to getting dead pixels nature of the beast.

Oh of course, but it's annoying that Sony won't replace it if it gets one.

hell no..

It would be too big for me. I want this thing to fit easily in my pocket. I carried around a Sony Walkman for too long. :D

Back