For those who have lapped their cpu's, click here!

First, if you're lapping your CPU in soap, and with 300grit sandpaper, you shouldn't be lapping in the first place.

Second, one of the big reasons you use wet sandpaper is so metal doens't go flying around everywhere.

Third, if the liquid is touching any silicon, you're doing something wrong.

Fourth, coating CPU's with Nickel is done to prevent corrosion, not for thermal properties. A mirror finish is obviously going to have better contact area than standard. Additionally, some thermal pastes, notably Shin-Etsu x23 work best with lapped surfaces.

I'm not going to even bother commenting on his assumptions - that guy does not know what he's talking about.

edit: Reading further, it's sad to see that this guy is actually serious..

That's his opinion. Too bad he had to ignore a lot of useful facts to come to his conclusion.

Coincidentally, I just finished lapping my CPU and HS. I wasn't happy with the temps with my Q6600 and stock Intel HSF.

The new HS (OCZ Vanquisher) is a low priced one suitable for non-OC or low-OC CPUs with a bit of a temp problem. The surface is known to be rough (looks shot peened). I wasn't going to do the CPU, but when I checked it, it was obviously not flat (!) unlike the older E6600 I have which is quite flat.

Temps went from around 60C (load) to 45C! Mostly a better HSF, but no doubt a better compound (MX-2) and flatter surface helped.

Many tests have been done by review web sites that confirm the advantages of lapping IF the surfaces aren't flat.

Let me guess next one is going to be overclocking increases cpu's life span.

Is this guy a retard?

I came across that article a few days ago. The guy has no idea what he is talking about and his understanding is pretty much based on ignorance.

The poster is a moron. Period.

What's even funnier is some of the comments that people left agreeing how "correct" he was. March of the retards.

I came across that article a few days ago. The guy has no idea what he is talking about and his understanding is pretty much based on ignorance.

The poster is a moron. Period.

What's even funnier is some of the comments that people left agreeing how "correct" he was. March of the retards.
QFTruthiness

It's classic psychology where you will always find people who will ride the balls of venomously sarcastic ignorant people who are outspoken. Those folks are as lost as he.

BTW I have not read of a single dead 775 chip from lapping. At least there aren't any pins to bend. He says they've spent billions in designing the IHS. Just wow.

As far as I'm concerned, it's my own processor, it's my own money. If I want to lap it (which I have before) then that's my own business.

People have different opinions. It's best to learn to accept it.

wow theres my daily dose of stupidity right there. hes worried about static electricity....anyone ever try to build up a static charge on a wet cloth? doesnt work too well haha. in fact i quite often put water on a comb when i'm quickly combing my hair to stop the annoying static.

i dont find lapping worth the effort myself, but this guy is just so far off base its a joke.

The guy is a retard with an internet connection ...plain an simple.

LOL ... incoheirent cries of "no research data" to prove lapping does work. Where is his research data that shows it doesn't work?

What a smacktard.

As I commented on his "page", he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. This is the kind of guy that performs DIY circumcision (I bet that will be his next article...).

with any luck it might turn into DIY castration and then we can submit this tard for a darwin award

he deleted my comment lol.... what an idiot. all I did was tell him:

you're an idiot
1. take a geometry class
2. take a materials science class
3. take a thermodynamics class
4. realize you're an idiot

lol... .guess I was too offensive....

Using just 300 grit? um yea I see your problem, try 300 then 600, then 800, then 1200, then 1800... By the time I was done with my Q6600 and TRU120E both contacting surfaces were mirrors with zero visible reflective distortion and they made very good contact with each other. I saw an on average temp drop of about 8c across the board, imo not bad for a few hours work using stuff I already had sitting around.

LMAO :rolleyes:

Hal Licino says:
9 minutes ago

To all the whiny little zit-faced teenagers spamming this Hub from hardforum, please note that when you try to use different names, I can still see it's from the same IP and you're instantly deleted. If you have something constructive that is backed up by evidence to submit, your posts will be approved. If all you can do to back up your defense of your moronic hobby is to namecall, your comments will continue to go right into the cybertrash. Hmm... cybertrash... that's actually a good description for what you guys are! :)

Best way to keep people from seeing what an idiot you are, is to delete or prevent the people who will prove you wrong!!!

yeah, I love it when people with absolutely _zero_ technical education, background, or experience, decide to call an ENTIRE community "moronic" because they didn't do enough research before posting their idiotic blog entry.

sigh.

edit: oh, sorry. I am really sorry. I can't apologize enough guys.... I didn't realize. This guy is involved in the marketing/advertising industry. had I known that, I would not have even bothered to read his blog :( his soul has been devoured and enslaved, long ago...

read the following, and then forgive me:

"Hal has more than three decades of executive experience in media and publishing industries. He managed all aspects of marketing / advertising and editorial / design production for major NYC and LA-based publishing corporations, producing 26 monthly magazine and journal titles for a total of more than 100 million published copies. Hal has pennamed an international bestselling non-fiction book translated into 11 languages. His IT expertise exceeds MCDST. He lives for cats, pasta and Harleys."

Considering he has no evidence, I tend not to believe him. I would never lap a CPU though because it's just to much risk. I have lapped my heat sink though because obviously your not going to wreck anything. It lowered the temps about 3-5 degrees. But my heat sink was a cheapy and every time I pulled it off the CPU you could see it wasn't pressing against it evenly.

Ah, the power of the Internet.

let dumbasses on powertrips run their mouths with no accord to truth.

Where did he hear that you are supposed to use "soapy water"????

And where di he hear you were supposed to cover the CPU in "soapy water"?

What was he doing? sanding, dunking the cpu in soapy water, and then repeating?

An orbital sander, 600 grit sand paper and a bit of water to wet the sandpaper is all you need to get a nice flat finish.

Anyhow, I tried to post a comment, but I doubt it will ever show up.

He deleted my comment and a bunch of others....mine was just a nice comment about how he was wrong......he didn't seem to delete to many that were agreeing with him..I wonder why?

If I may quote a signature I've seen here on [H]. Unfortunately I cannot seem to remember who's.

Behold the power of the internet. When once you were a moron to a few, you are now a moron to thousands.

This guy reminds me of someone's sig from other site. It was something about a guy commenting that E6300 can't run some game cause it's not 3.06Ghz so it's better to use P4 3.06 or something like that and he was saying to trust him cause he used to be Dell tech support. Damn now I've gotta find this sig.:D

his entire argument is:

"everyone is lying"

that's it. that's his argument.

1. He writes an article and has no proof of people lying.
2. He accuses them of lying.
3. He then DEMANDS proof that they AREN'T lying.

When I was young, and saw an adult, or someone on the news, or whatever, I always really listened to what they had to say. Because, hey: I was just a kid, and they were "adults" who "had been around a while" etc. "Experienced" is what I think it was described as.

Children are very naive. Once you get a little bit older, you realize that most people are pretty much morons.

This guy is not young. The scary thing is, not only is he "not young"- he's been in a management position before!! He has told other people what to do!!!

Can someone make a new planet to live on? I will go live there. Get me off of this thing.

:D

It's all good.The information base on good lapping info is getting larger , not smaller , despite any intentions otherwise.

:p

hey BTW , prove the Earth isnt flat , k ?

hahahahaha

Man he really isn't getting it. I don't think I've ever seen someone so thick skulled when presented with ACTUAL information. it makes me want to lapp his face! hahaha

Back