For those who have both: Which is better xbox or ps2?

BoWser

Limp Gawd
I really need a good honest opinion on this issue. I have been debating between the two systems for a while. What would you guys who have both of these systems recommend to me?

personally, my xbox gets about 15 times more use than my ps2. I would recommend the xbox but you would do better to make your decision based on the software you like.

Both are equally good. All it really boils down to is which console has the most games you want to play.

Exactly. There's no point in debating hardware differences and whatnot, they still don't put FFX on the XBOX or KOTOR on the PS2.

I liked my PS2 better, but only because of the games library, and (at first) the controller. The PS2 is getting old, but with the new HD, Sony has stated that it'll stick around for several more years. I think it depends what you want to play, though. For someone who liked RPGs and driving games, PS2 was perfect for me (Final Fantasy, GT3, and GTA 3).

I just wish mine hadn't died.

In terms of games, the only thing that the Xbox doesn't destroy the PS2 with is the RPG genre.

If you're into online gaming, there is no comparison whatsoever; Xbox Live destroys the Sony network.

Well...there really isn't much reason to debate.

Racing -- you can get either on ps2 or xbox as both have great titles

FPS -- xbox, but most people argue pc is best for fps (i guess that depends on what side of the line you stand) Also, Halo2 is going to be the reason people drop out of college, get a divorce, kill their neighbor around Christmas time...or so we all hope.

RPG -- PS2 pwns Xbox in this area, but things are quickly changing. Kotor was a game that really shined on Xbox. Fable is coming out -- god damn them for taking so long to release this game. It is supposed to be a breakthrough game -- a lot is riding on this game and I suspect it will be pretty WHA WHA sweet....time will tell.

Sports -- you can get them on either. It all depends on whether you will game online with these 2. Live is the winner without a doubt but EA has shunned the xbox -- no Madden on live, sorry.

Oh yeah -- Ninja Gaiden -- You know you want this game -- I do too but I'm too poor... :( I just blew 70 on UT2k4 and a new gamepad for my laptop.

Anyway, there you have it. If I were you I'd buy both -- but I am trying not to sound too fanboyish because I would choose Xbox. The ps2 is a great system. It has sold about a billion times more systems than the Xbox. Games are a plenty....on either system.

It all depends on what games are not offered on ps2 that xbox has and what games are not offered on xbox that ps2 has.

It seems, though, that any game these days will be released on a console and on the pc.

Id have to say my Xbox gets more play than my ps2, but that dosent mean I still dont crank it up. both are great systems, but I often find myself doing alot more with my xbox, if not playing games then watchings dvds, cause the dvd player is alot better on the Xbox, or listning to music, it makes a great party jukebox.

PS2 gets 10x more play here than XBox. Mostly RPG/adventure style games. When the same title is on both, I usually opt for XBox, though. Get both, they're getting cheaper :D

ive only got a ps2, but i like RPG, Racing, Fighting, and Action Adventure games. Gran Turismo 3 is the game i play the most, and Gran turismo 4 looks like its gonna be the best racing game ever made (supposed to be out in like november). Final Fantasy games are fun, and im more of a Tekken person than soul caliber or any other fighting game. Also, the Metal Gear Solid series is still increadible (twin snakes is comming out, or mayb it alread is, on GC), but MGS: Snake Eater looks great. I also enjoyed the game Zone of the Enders, hmm i should go pick up the sequal to that...

I'm glad this hasn't degenerated into a fanboy flaming war. I own both systems and I'm playing the XBOX more than the PS2, but when Star Ocean 3 and GT4 are released, things will certainly change.

Another great thing about the XBOX is the fact that it's so much like a computer; adding a mod opens up millions of possibilities.

I have both and I will say the X-Box for a couple reasons.

X-Box Live---Its up there with pc's and the headset option cant be beat AND no 56k allowed.

HD-you can store alout of your music on this thing and play it in some games.

More games worth playing and faster load times and sometimes noticeable better graphics.

PS2 is better if your big into RPG's but the X-Box is getting some big ones and even a MMORPG later this year. I think both is worth owning because of some high calibur games unique to each though.

Gran Turismo is more or less the biggest name in racing so ps2 definatley has advantage there.

the new GTA will be ps2 exclusive (at least for a while)

the new metal gear solid will ps2 exclusive (at least for awhile i bet)

RPGS ps2 still wins.

As for the games that come out on all systems xbox usually plays them alittle faster and prettier. Its hard to choose one, i have gta3 and vice city for ps2 but then got them for xbox b/c the graphics are better and its more fun to play (i also have em for pc :rolleyes: ) i really think choosing one system is hard.. xbox and ps2 get alot of the same games but the best games on each are exclusives which kinda sux, gamecube even gets a few really good games.. but not that many hehe.

Right now i'm leaning more towards xbox, but I feel bad i left sony because of final fantasy 7 being my favorite game ever. I'll probably wind up getting playstation 3 when that comes around, but i think xbox is my choice for now due to the xbox live system. I am really just not making enough money to keep on top of computer games, so I will keep to the next best thing. Besides, the only pc games i really enjoy any more are bilizzard ones which will run on almost any pc. I hope squaresoft desides to open up a little bit more. I will probably get xbox, but i'm gunna be pissed if they announce that ff7ac is only compatible on ps2 or something. FF10 didn't really appeal to me as the last one i enjoyed was ff9, but it was not worth buying a console over. Games like ff7 and Fable(hopefully) are.

oh, I just want to point out one thing, MS is lowing the xbox price very soon to $149 I think

Tomorrow -- March 30th the Xbox game system is dropping its price to $149.

You don't even have to wait to buy it. I'm pretty sure PS2 will be dropping their price soon too.

Bah. I say get a gamecube even though it wasn't one of your choices. There are so many great games on the gamecube and it is only a hundred dollars. I like it because it's games give me a nice relief from pc games when I want something different. Most of the good gamecube games are exclusive too. You can get most of the XBOXes killer apps on the pc anyway. If you think the gamecube is kiddy go play Eternal Darkness.

Isn't ff ac a movie?

Lets just say I had both and sold my Xbox. Not enough cool exclusives that made it worth it IMO. Graphics don't matter at all since I have a higher end pc to make games look pretty.

True Fantasy Live Online and Fable might shift the RPG tides if they'll ever be finished.

You can get most of the XBOXes killer apps on the pc anyway.

If you're willing to wait a few months (I was playing KOTOR last summer).

Originally posted by pistola
theres no power greater than X.
Some would say Higher Power's Real Life® has the best hardware and graphics, but people complain about the physics and lack of third-party support. Not to mention there's only one title out that the critics say is too much like The Sims. But that one title boasts the best multiplayer support and doesn't ever crash. :p

Definately go with Xbox. I have both platforms and my ps2 just collects dust.

I don't have a PS2, so maybe that means you should ignore my advice ;).

My advice would be to just buy whichever system has more games you like. For me that was the X-Box, and I'm really happy with it. I've got a bud who bought a PS-2 and his reasoning was the same for it --it had the games he wanted. I need to make friends with someone who owns a gamecube, then I won't miss out on ANY of the cool games :).

The only thing I don't like about the X-Box is that they seem to be phasing out the monstrously ginormous controllers that originally came with it. While I know everyone else hates them, I have enormous hands and really like them :).

BTW, about the racing genre... I thought PGR-2 is a pretty amazing racing game, I thought (and the music can't be beat;)). But maybe that's just me, I could never get into the GT series, and I DID really like PGR-1 as well.

Erik

I have all 3 systems.

I say get a PS2. It has the most games. and it's racing games are the best of the best (GT3 ownz PGR IMO) and i like it's fighting games better (it has Tekken, Virtua Fighter AND Capcom vs SNK) I'm old school in the fighting games...i don't like fancy weapons and what not...just fists, feet and a occasional fireball ;)

I also like the big xbox controllers, and xbox has its fair share of fighting games, it has doa3, doaU is comming soon, soul caliber 2, and IIRC there is a capcom vs. snk comming soon. Plus PGR isn't made to go head to head with GT3, GT3 is a simulator, PGR isn't, Sega GT is the direct competition to GT3. also having the most games means nothing if only a few of them are worth buying. the ps2 lacks a good stable of exclusive games. (there are standouts, like the GT series, and squaresoft, though that is changing now that square is releasing on pc and gc, mgs3 will be ps2 exclusive, but so was mgs2, and it is on all platforms now) GC and Xbox on the otherhand, both have a large stable of exclusive titles that are truely exclusive. though it really comes down to which system has the most software you like, i would suggest you do what slickjesus and I both did, and pick them all up, the prices are really low now anyways.

I was about to mention...

Sega GT 2002 owns Gran Turismo 3 in terms of gameplay, visuals, and features (The custom soundtrack option is a necessity). GT3 does have the upper hand in customization/car options, though.
I played them both for more than seventy hours each. They've both got some great things going for them. Unfortunately, GT3 got much farther largely because of it's name.

I play my PS2 a lot in spurts as new games come out but overall, I use my Xbox more I think. It's modded, though, so there are more things to do with it.

The prospects of Gran Turismo 4 and Star Ocean 3 later this year are enough for me to want to recommend a Playstation 2. (In fairness, Xbox has Fable and Halo 2 coming as well.)

Overall, though, I'd probably recommend an Xbox. With the recent price drop and the incredible modding potential, in addition to a stout library of games and undenialbly superior online support, it's just the better choice, I think.

Does anyone have any information as to if any of the big 3 plan to release a new system this year or next year? I don't really want to just go buy either of these two to find out that the next one is coming out soon.

I like my xbox alot, but most PS2 has alot more exclusives that I can't get on PC. Thought I can't play Steel Battalion on PC :p :p

Originally posted by BoWser
I am really just not making enough money to keep on top of computer games, so I will keep to the next best thing.
I know your not looking for input like this but that's what I felt last summer and ever since I picked up an X-Box I just didn't enjoy it like I did the PC. It's cool it's kinda fun but I upgraded my PC this year because I couldn't stand being limited to the X-Box

James

I think it comes down to whether you have a lot of friends that play what you are playing.

If you have a pc -- play ut2k4 lan parties every weekend -- it pays to get a new pc.

If you get a xbox and your friends have Xbox too...it pays to have that xbox there.

The community you are associated with helps a lot.

I figured that out by hanging out on a xbox forum -- now play with a fairly big group of people -- nightly -- on xbox live or whenever i have freetime. It's great chit.

So whatever you choose, I think you should think about who you might be playing with, becuase it pays off to play with friends online.

XBOX does have nice looking games/graphics, but for long lasting game time, the PS2 shines. Yeah, the hardware is a bit out of whacked when compared to the [X] but there are tons of RPGs that will steal your precious time away. O yeah, not to mention the games that are coming out pretty soon: Metal Gear Solid 3, Gran Turismo 4, Xenosaga ep. 2, Front Mission 4, GTAVC2 and etc.

But you know what, no matter which system you will end up going for, you will prolly feel a little bit of regret because that "one" game that you would want to play is only being released on the "opposite system". Ex. You would want to prolly play Ninja Gaiden on the [X] if you were to purchase a PS2, and you would want to play Gran Turismo 4 if you wre to purchase an [X]. So yeah, just purchase either system right now, when the other one takes a huge price drop, purchase that one also. That was my game plan, now I am just waiting for the green machine to drop its price, hehe.

Well, thanks guys for your opinions. I really have a few reasons for wanting to get a new game system (i have a gamecube but i don't really enjoy it a whole lot). My main one is money, but i look at the last few rounds of pc games that came out and none of them have really appealed to me but battlefield vietnam. Now, i have nothing to look forward to but world of warcraft, which i am sure will run fine on my pc and half life 2 whenever it comes out. I plan on getting a laptop to replace this desktop i have right now within about a half a year or so. I will be getting one with mobility 9700 (or by then possibly mobility 9800?) and a athlon 64 bit processor, so i can run all the games i currently own, but that wil probably be my last upgrade for a while. But i really want to make a system my primary gaming method now. PCs are just starting to get more and more expensive to keep up with when the only games i really enjoy are the blizzard ones (which can run on almost any pc) and the steam games.

I think I have decided on Xbox, but the real thing holding me back from running out and getting it is ff7ac, since there are rumors of it being only watchable on ps2. FF7 is definalty my favorite game ever, but i don't really enjoy too many of the other final fantasys, espically 10 and 8 which is why i don't really have a really good reason to get a ps2 but i do for a xbox (fable and halo2 look more appealing to me then mgs3 and gt4).

By christmas the PS should be even cheaper so If FF7ac only plays on that (which I doubt) you will be able to get one cheap or even used. Think about getting both the X-Box now PS2 later...too many games not worth missing will be on both.;)

this thread is awesome...none of us are flaming each other. ;)

XBox just lowered it's price to $149...for $149 it's a awesome deal!

IMO PS2 has better games though...but now it costs $30 more....:confused:

put it this way...either system you buy you will be happy with.

Originally posted by LiquidX
By christmas the PS should be even cheaper so If FF7ac only plays on that (which I doubt) you will be able to get one cheap or even used. Think about getting both the X-Box now PS2 later...too many games not worth missing will be on both.;)
You realize that Advent Children is a movie, right?

Originally posted by SlickJesus
this thread is awesome...none of us are flaming each other. ;)

Yes, I am very suprised that this didn't turn out to be a huge flame war. Mabye one more thing i should point out, I have had a gamecube since the year it came out but nintendo made a lot more promises about the system (mostly the online program) back then and most of them have become false so i am starting to lose my faith in them. I wanted a good online system, which is why I am going to get xbox. I probably won't be upgrading my pc, if you can call it that, until next year. I'm going to be getting a laptop then, but I want to get back into consoles and i think xbox has the most features i want, not that ps2 is a bad system. Any way, keep this thread going if you guys want, its great to see a thread without flames for once.

Back