For those who bought Haswell. Was it what you expected?

I thought it was considered crappy by ASUS' standards, since it wouldn't pass at 4.6GHz at 1.2V.
It certainly doesn't hold a candle to Kyle's monster at 4.8GHz with 1.17V.

No, JJ from Asus said that a chip running 4.6 @ 1.20 volts VCore and reasonable temps is a very good chip, ie. nearly exceptional based on their testing of 700 chips though the 4670K versus 4770K breakdown wasn't specified from what I've read/seen on video.

Baed on on my singular experience Kyle got a nearly golden chip.

A used 3930k is $400...a 4770k is $350, not that much different. And you can get a deal on a top 2011 motherboard like a RIVE now whereas the best haswell motherboards are $400+.

A 3930k should clock 300-500mhz higher than a 4770k and without the ridiculous 90c+ temps.

As an enthusiast's platform the X79 is MUCH better. Quad channel RAM, more PCI-E lanes, full virtualization support with OC-ability on every available chip type, real eight-core Xeons that can run on these boards, etc...

No comparison, and IMHO a much longer-life platform. I've had a much better and funNER time OCing both an I7 3820, and a 3930K over this 4770K that I was "blessed" with.

I would say from an older gen I7 using Nehalem or Lynnfield, yeah it's a good upgrade. You get an IPC increase as well as a generally higher overclock. You get some newer features that aren't just third-party platform add ons like USB3.

From a Sandy Bridge, or Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge, it's not much (if any) of an upgrade IF you are an overclocker. If you are at stock, then yes, it's a small upgrade. The issue here is that there is very large variance in OC-ability with these chips.

My chip at 4.4Ghz needs 1.29 volts to stay stable folding@home or running Aida64 or Prime95. I canNOT run LinX or IBT with the AVX binaries, as my temperatures go from low 80s to 100 celsius and the chip auto-throttles down to 3.8 ghz within seconds.

I even de-lidded it (and put Coollaboraties Liquid Ultra) last night and the change is only that when I use LinX or IBT with the AVX binaries it will sit at 95 celsius for about thirty seconds, eventually rise up to 100 celsius and re-throttle. I did get about a 8-10 celsius heat reduction running most stability tests, but so far de-lidding is not much of an upgrade. This is with an Antec Kuhler H2O 920 at full fan speed. I have a Corsair H100I I will try later but I'm not holding out much hope.

Remember, this is at 4.4 Ghz.

By way of comparison, with lesser cooling my I7 3770K de-lidded runs at 4.9 Ghz, and these same IBT or LinX AVX tests never hit over 80 celsius at 1.37 volts, and this is with a lowly Antec Kuhler H2O 620.

In terms of the Sandforce issue (of Sandforce not following SATA standards to the tee) I'm seeing issues on my crappy Vertex 2 Extended 120GB, but this is a test bench PC right now, so a couple of CTRL-ALT-DEL presses and the drive re-appears upon boot. The USB bug has been non-existent so far with the two USB 3 devices I've tried.

So my 4770K estimation is that "It's just OK".

Last edited:
As a Lynnfield owner, I have no reason to upgrade to Haswell and I use my desktop heavily.

Would you upgrade to Haswell if you are running a Q6600? lol

I think anything prior to the "i" series of processors I would go with Haswell. Unless you aren't being held back by anything. (IE: If you just surf the web, not really needed unless you want a smaller electric foot print)

Would it be smarter to go with a Sandy Bridge/ Ivy bridge setup for cheaper and just overclock it? I'm not concerned with the power consumption, and I probably wont be upgrading for another couple years after that. I play the occasional games, but I'm running Borderlands 2 maxed essentially pretty smooth on my current setup. I don't have a huge monitor, I just want to get back to watercooling and figured I'd do a CPU/Mobo upgrade.

Would it be smarter to go with a Sandy Bridge/ Ivy bridge setup for cheaper and just overclock it? I'm not concerned with the power consumption, and I probably wont be upgrading for another couple years after that.

I'm not sure if I had an Q6600 that I would upgrade to a SB/IB if I didn't need to a month ago, I damn sure don't need to today.

With that being said, Haswell can be overclocked as well. ;)

Bottom line is. If your current computer is not capable of doing what you want, in the time you want it done, at the level of visuals you're satisfied with and doesn't have the features you need... then upgrade.

If you upgrade, no sense in upgrading to "last years" lineup when "this years" lineup is now out. Even though Haswell is a little more expensive, clock for clock it's around the same percent higher as it is better than the two previous generations.

No, JJ from Asus said that a chip running 4.6 @ 1.20 volts VCore and reasonable temps is a very good chip, ie. nearly exceptional based on their testing of 700 chips though the 4670K versus 4770K breakdown wasn't specified from what I've read/seen on video.

My chip at 4.4Ghz needs 1.29 volts to stay stable folding@home or running Aida64 or Prime95. I canNOT run LinX or IBT with the AVX binaries, as my temperatures go from low 80s to 100 celsius and the chip auto-throttles down to 3.8 ghz within seconds.

I even de-lidded it (and put Coollaboraties Liquid Ultra) last night and the change is only that when I use LinX or IBT with the AVX binaries it will sit at 95 celsius for about thirty seconds, eventually rise up to 100 celsius and re-throttle. I did get about a 8-10 celsius heat reduction running most stability tests, but so far de-lidding is not much of an upgrade. This is with an Antec Kuhler H2O 920 at full fan speed. I have a Corsair H100I I will try later but I'm not holding out much hope.

By way of comparison, with lesser cooling my I7 3770K de-lidded runs at 4.9 Ghz, and these same IBT or LinX AVX tests never hit over 80 celsius at 1.37 volts, and this is with a lowly Antec Kuhler H2O 620.

In terms of the Sandforce issue (of Sandforce not following SATA standards to the tee) I'm seeing issues on my crappy Vertex 2 Extended 120GB, but this is a test bench PC right now, so a couple of CTRL-ALT-DEL presses and the drive re-appears upon boot. The USB bug has been non-existent so far with the two USB 3 devices I've tried.

Thanks for sharing your delid results, I've been hunting for them. Sounds like thermal problems pretty much can't be solved unless you get some serious water cooling on a delidded chip.

And when we say "My chip at 4.4Ghz needs 1.29 volts" are we talking about a 1.29v manual voltage setting? Or is this the voltage measured under load which might be higher?

Just to follow up with my soundcard issue, Gigabyte has informed me that any Haswell motherboards must have PCI 2.3 compliant cards or better in order for the PCI slots to work. My Auzentech Meridian 2G is unfortunately PCI 2.2 compliant and isn't even detected. Oh well, time to find a new PCI-E card.

Look at my sig. Yeah it's about time I upgraded myself. I use Windows 7 now but the boot time is ridiculous & to encode a movie takes forever.

I was wondering why Microcenter had their processors $20 or so cheaper than Newegg but when I factor in tax at Microcenter then I answered my own question.

Look at my sig. Yeah it's about time I upgraded myself. I use Windows 7 now but the boot time is ridiculous & to encode a movie takes forever.

I was wondering why Microcenter had their processors $20 or so cheaper than Newegg but when I factor in tax at Microcenter then I answered my own question.

Get an SSD and upgrade to a 5k+ GPU for video encoding :)

Get an SSD and upgrade to a 5k+ GPU for video encoding :)

Yeah I was looking at the Samgung 840Pro and video cards now but I will need a whole system overhaul anyway Video cards and motherboards are usually the last thing I get when I upgrade.

2500k to 4670k, was due time for a upgrade.
seems to perform well and chip seems good to me also.
4.6ghz at 1.22v as far without any real tuning at all.

I'm sort of meh. My i7-2600k did 4.4 GHz, and served me well for ~ 2 years.

My i7-4770k does 4.3 GHz at 1.2v on water using a Corsair H110 (haven't tested stability with lower voltages). It can do 4.5 GHz on all cores but needs 1.3v to do this, and the heat output with Prime95 is insane - talking like 95-100 deg and then it starts throttling after a few minutes. 1.25v causes it to reboot, but haven't played that much with in-between voltages to see if there's a happy medium between throttling.

I require complete prime95 stability + 0 throttling before I call it a "successful overclock". 4.3 GHz is still plenty fast but ho hum.

Add to it some new platform issues (nvidia cards not letting you do 2D Surround + SLI at all yet with latest drivers) and it's not my most impressive upgrade. It was more along the lines of I needed more memory (only had 8 GB of DDR3 1600 that I originally had when I had an i7-920, so went to 32GB 1833) so why not go the whole way with CPU + motherboard as well.

I'll play around with it more this weekend to see if I can more frequency.

I kinda figured this is what is expected from the haswell. Oh well i guess i will just keep my Ivy 2500k at 4.8 GHZ for another year.

I kinda figured this is what is expected from the haswell. Oh well i guess i will just keep my Ivy 2500k at 4.8 GHZ for another year.

The 2500k is not an Ivy, it's a Sandy. Looking at your sig, you do have an Ivy, but it's a 3570k.

Gotta say I am very happy with mine. I hit 4.5ghz @ 1.255V and my temps are under 90C on air. Now overall speed compared to my 4.8ghz 2600K is probably a wash. No real world difference. What I gained is a system that can sleep perfectly fine for the first time in years. I gained some great USB 3.0 ports and the best fan control I have ever used. I know some of this I could have gotten with a z77 but I wasn't going to drop that kind of cash just to swap boards when I did my whole upgrade for 87$ after selling off my old stuff. I am also in line for the "tock" cpu that comes around next time. I have to say at idle and moderate use this CPU seems to run a bit cooler than my 2600K. It only runs about 5C hotter under load. On water I could take this chip to 4.6 or 4.7 but the heat gets me on air. I can't complain. I had not touched my PC in a loooong time so I needed to get caught up on what's new anyways :)

Does anyone know what a decent temperature is for a Haswell proc? I was playing with the "default" vs. "ASUS Optimized" settings in the BIOS for automatic overclocking. The optimized ones set it up to turbo up to 4.2GHz, and under my "normal" load (i.e. lots of games), it can hover anywhere up to around 75C. Under an extreme load, like trying to run Intelburntest (out of curiosity), it immediately spikes to almost 100C. Obviously the extreme load's a bit high, but is 75C acceptable for a potentially long period of time?

75C isn't bad but at 4.2ghz it should not be hitting 100C unless your running a crappy cooler or way more voltage than it probably needs. Keep in mind if you do load up a program that can really stress the CPU .. you might push closer to that 100C and it will start to throttle.

Gotta say I am very happy with mine. I hit 4.5ghz @ 1.255V and my temps are under 90C on air. Now overall speed compared to my 4.8ghz 2600K is probably a wash. No real world difference. What I gained is a system that can sleep perfectly fine for the first time in years. I gained some great USB 3.0 ports and the best fan control I have ever used. I know some of this I could have gotten with a z77 but I wasn't going to drop that kind of cash just to swap boards when I did my whole upgrade for 87$ after selling off my old stuff. I am also in line for the "tock" cpu that comes around next time. I have to say at idle and moderate use this CPU seems to run a bit cooler than my 2600K. It only runs about 5C hotter under load. On water I could take this chip to 4.6 or 4.7 but the heat gets me on air. I can't complain. I had not touched my PC in a loooong time so I needed to get caught up on what's new anyways :)

First time I had with a PC that works flawlessly and part of that is windows 8.
New chipset is impressive as far I can tell.
got luck of draw so happy.

Just got my 4670 - replacing a 955BE. Hoping to see some real improvement and lower power bills at stock speeds. (Mostly photo work with some gaming). I'll report once I've got it up and running.

Does anyone know what a decent temperature is for a Haswell proc? I was playing with the "default" vs. "ASUS Optimized" settings in the BIOS for automatic overclocking. The optimized ones set it up to turbo up to 4.2GHz, and under my "normal" load (i.e. lots of games), it can hover anywhere up to around 75C. Under an extreme load, like trying to run Intelburntest (out of curiosity), it immediately spikes to almost 100C. Obviously the extreme load's a bit high, but is 75C acceptable for a potentially long period of time?

ASUS Optimized probably leaves core voltage on Auto, and that aggressively increases your core voltage. You'll want to use offset or adaptive mode in the AI Tweaker and figure out the voltage 4.2GHz really needs, and then you won't spike to 100C.

As an enthusiast's platform the X79 is MUCH better. Quad channel RAM, more PCI-E lanes, full virtualization support with OC-ability on every available chip type, real eight-core Xeons that can run on these boards, etc...

No comparison, and IMHO a much longer-life platform. I've had a much better and funNER time OCing both an I7 3820, and a 3930K over this 4770K that I was "blessed" with.

I would say from an older gen I7 using Nehalem or Lynnfield, yeah it's a good upgrade. You get an IPC increase as well as a generally higher overclock. You get some newer features that aren't just third-party platform add ons like USB3.

From a Sandy Bridge, or Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge, it's not much (if any) of an upgrade IF you are an overclocker. If you are at stock, then yes, it's a small upgrade. The issue here is that there is very large variance in OC-ability with these chips.

10e Sandforce not following SATA standards does not sound too realistic. I am a big fan of their products and use OCZ vertex2 in my test lab. Initially, I had the same issues as yours, but a quick firmware patch update magically solved this issue. why dont you try doing this?

10e Sandforce not following SATA standards does not sound too realistic. I am a big fan of their products and use OCZ vertex2 in my test lab. Initially, I had the same issues as yours, but a quick firmware patch update magically solved this issue. why dont you try doing this?
I firmware update for what? The Vertex 2? SandForce has not released any updates that fixes the compatibility issue with the Z87 platform. Because of this there is not any firmware available for the Vertex 2/Agility 2 drives that addresses this problem.

From a Core 2 quad.... It was a huge boost lmao. I was years behind on the times.

Did a paste change today. I was going to de-lid but decided not to. Used TX-4 at first and ran it for a couple weeks. So today I did a 10 minute stress test before I pulled it apart and hit 93C. I applied Coollabratory Liquid pro and ran the test again and only hit 85C. I got an 8C drop from the paste alone. I really was not expecting that. My TX-4 had a good seat from what I could see. I can't complain tho. My temps are identical to my sandybridge now.

If you want to play games, I say screw your prime95 and IBT. I've been playing Firefall and Planetside 2 all week at 4.8GHz core/4.6GHz cache on my 4770k. Core offset at +.225v and cache offset at +.3v. Temps are below 75c so far in these games, on a Zalman cnps10x hsf.

It's a solid 1.5x fps improvement versus my 930. I'm happy.

If you want to play games, I say screw your prime95 and IBT. I've been playing Firefall and Planetside 2 all week at 4.8GHz core/4.6GHz cache on my 4770k. Core offset at +.225v and cache offset at +.3v. Temps are below 75c so far in these games, on a Zalman cnps10x hsf.

It's a solid 1.5x fps improvement versus my 930. I'm happy.

4.8 on air? Interesting. At what vcore?

"Core offset at +.225v and cache offset at +.3v."

You quoted it.

lol.

BUT I'm very happy with my IB at moderate 4200MHz. I don't get it...why would anyone go Haswell...the performance gain is so small. nless you feel the need to be l33t and [H]

lol.

BUT I'm very happy with my IB at moderate 4200MHz. I don't get it...why would anyone go Haswell...the performance gain is so small. nless you feel the need to be l33t and [H]

Ever thought that not everyone would be upgrading from a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge Processor? :eek:

Just because the performance gap between SB/IB and Haswell isn't that great doesn't mean someone on a pre i-series CPU wont see huge gains by going with the now similarly priced, newly released Haswell chips.

"Core offset at +.225v and cache offset at +.3v."

You quoted it.

Easy guys. I'm going from socket 775 to Haswell. It took me a while to figure out what the uncore was in the BIOS cause it wasn't called that in the BIOS.

Back