For those that hate SLi and want to keep the GTX 1080 extra cool.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
COLORFUL launches 4-slot iGame GTX 1080 KUDAN.
http://videocardz.com/64445/colorful-launches-4-slot-igame-gtx-1080-kudan

Untitled.png

Oh christ, not this again... I remember those awful 3-slot cards back in the day. 2 slots is bad enough for people like me who NEED expansion slots, but still manageable at least, any more is annoying. I guess this is for the Chinese market only so won't be seeing them around here.

Hahaha, dafuq? I'd get one just for the lulz

Omg @ the model holding it. This has to be a prop...

And this is why putting PCI-E x1 slots right next to the video card slots is a stupid idea. Yea, I know, shorter path, but how you going to use a PCIE soundcard when the video card takes up all the slot space?

Luckily I have a PCI soundcard and putting a soundcard right next to a video card is a bad idea. Soundcard should be in the slot furthest from the video card to avoid any EMI issues that could happen.

will need a kick-stand like device to keep it from tearing your mobo in two.

Oh christ, not this again... I remember those awful 3-slot cards back in the day. 2 slots is bad enough for people like me who NEED expansion slots, but still manageable at least, any more is annoying. I guess this is for the Chinese market only so won't be seeing them around here.

imagine the look on your face when you find out this is a 4 SLOT gpu.

While this looks SUPER doofy, I do find it interesting that it appears to have a water jacket on the back of the card.

I have an aftermarket air cooler on my 290X that came with a gigantic aluminum heatsink that serves as a backplate, and interfaces with the card via some really thick thermal pads. It gets really hot - hot enough that it seems like there could be significant gains to be had by water cooling both sides of that particular card.

That's the "Thank god I have great onboard sound" Edition. Too wordy?

And the irony is it probably does not have a custom BIOS and so limited to 1.09V :)
They mention a dual BIOS switch but not the fact it has a BIOS capable of going over the initial cap, and no point using the BIOS from another manufacturer because it will not help.

Cheers

Still less insane than the multi heat sink 560 ti they put our years ago. That thing was bananas.

That monstrosity will break your PCI-E slot...
And your mind when you eventually realise your not getting any higher clock speed to smaller 1080 Pascal cards and that they should had gone with Galax HoF or Asus Strix if they wanted that :)

Cheers

And this is why putting PCI-E x1 slots right next to the video card slots is a stupid idea. Yea, I know, shorter path, but how you going to use a PCIE soundcard when the video card takes up all the slot space?

Luckily I have a PCI soundcard and putting a soundcard right next to a video card is a bad idea. Soundcard should be in the slot furthest from the video card to avoid any EMI issues that could happen.

Agreed, people argue that mobo sound is good enough but I need something that will do 5.1 surround through optical as I have my sound hooked up to my home theater. As such my only option is a PCIE x1 card that does dolby digital live. I'm on the X99 platform and there is literally only one brand of motherboard I could find where the 1x slots aren't blocked by a two slot GPU.

I remember the move from single slot to 2 slot GPUs, I thought it was a giant waste of space and poor engineering/efficiency... even went out of my way to find a single slot 7900GS(?) i think it was

Agreed, people argue that mobo sound is good enough but I need something that will do 5.1 surround through optical as I have my sound hooked up to my home theater. As such my only option is a PCIE x1 card that does dolby digital live. I'm on the X99 platform and there is literally only one brand of motherboard I could find where the 1x slots aren't blocked by a two slot GPU.

PCIe slots have their lane counts negotiated during device initialization. The physical difference in slot size is just to accommodate the higher lanes and is repeated. This means there is no actual restriction that default device lanes and slot lanes have to match, the pairing will just be limited to the lanes of the lowest of the pair. You can insert a x1, or x4, or whatever into a x16 slot. You can even insert an x16 device in a x1 slot provided you modify the slot if necessary (cut a notch).

You don't need to put your x1 sound card into a x1 slot. Any PCIe slot is fine. It's a common misconception that x1 cards have to go into x1 slots. Notice why PCIe slots are physically split, the first part towards the back (first 18 pins) is always the same and separated, to help accommodate this type of usage.

So yes motherboard designers actually have it right by putting the least flexible configuration, x1, in those locations.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I had no idea 1x's could work in a 16x slot. That would have made my mobo choice much easier. Thanks for the knowledge!

I didn't know either, thought only a video card could go in the second or third x16 slot.

Yes, there are many unused PCIe slots in the world that could be used for anything PCIe. Not sure why the notion that the whole slot has to be filled up for it to work in this case has never been broken. Would be nice seeing reviewers configure stuff in different configurations so that their readers can see it can and does work.

Back