For those on the fence...LIVE stream of Borderlands

And that pretty much sealed the deal on me getting the PC version. I'm not bad with a controller in a FPS but meh. I can wait another week I guess.

OOO this looks sweet. I need to read up on this. This really looks like fun fromw atching justin tv.

Not saying its a bad thing here....but anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance of this game and Fallout 3?

The guy playing is so annoying. I think he said "Like" and "Oh My God" every other word. Other than that , The game looks fun. I'll have to play it before I buy it though.

Not saying its a bad thing here....but anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance of this game and Fallout 3?

Both games have guns and some wasteland environments. That's where the similarities end. The two are so totally different beyond that.

Both games have guns and some wasteland environments. That's where the similarities end. The two are so totally different beyond that.

Really? It's not like the hounds are similar, or the vending machines, or the lockers that have loot in them. It's pretty obvious who got his inspirations from whom. However, imitation is the highest form of flattery. In the end neither Fallout 3 nor Borderlands deliver in keeping the player interested long enough to actually finish the game. There's far to much repetition in either game.

Really? It's not like the hounds are similar, or the vending machines, or the lockers that have loot in them. It's pretty obvious who got his inspirations from whom. However, imitation is the highest form of flattery. In the end neither Fallout 3 nor Borderlands deliver in keeping the player interested long enough to actually finish the game. There's far to much repetition in either game.
nice review...did you get your copy early?

The hounds did remind me of the Mole-Rats of Fallout 3. But the vending machines reminded me from Bioshock.

I will agree/disagree with you on the repetition side though, I find myself going back to Fallout 3 time and time again even though I beat it almost a year ago. I trust Boarderlands will be the same way.

Ok, sorry. I forgot to mention that both games have monsters, loot, and have you kill things. I guess every game that is violent falls into one or the other.

Did you expect them to reinvent the monster? I guess L4D also sux because it has zombies and everyone knows, zombies are old shit. Maybe someone should make an amoeboid shooter where you kill things using flagella or cilia missles and the monsters are single celled organisms that can take whatever shape they want. I guess that would be new.

Oh wait, they have that (wish I remembered the name of it).

Borderlands looks more like Rage, or is it Rage looks more like Borderlands? Or I guess they both look like Fallout 3.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in what I said....and also, just a reminder.....its not like this is a "bad" thing...

This game reminds me of FO3 for several reasons..

The billboard signs, they are similar in the fact that they are seemingly from the 50's era, or thereabouts. FO3 had a similar "look" to its billboards and atmosphere.

When the guys cycles thru his menus, those menus look similar to FO3's too. Its been awhile since I played FO3, so I dont recall what that thing was that was on his arm which brought up the menu, but they are similar. The actual color and shape of the menus are also very similar. FO3's was defaulted to a greenish color, but I had changed mine to that same color of blue as in this video.

And of course, as mentioned already, the terrain and that dog-like creature were similar too.

Now, before you guys go getting all defensive on me (heh), I liked FO3. Played it every night....I even have a thread somewhere around here discussing the game and all its wonderful explosions and such. So im not putting down this game in the least, just merely pointing out some similarities.

Not really getting defensive. I just think people complaining about a game that has any kind of semblance to another game is stupid.

There are only so many ways to re-invent the proverbial wheel.

BL is a shooter with loot mechanics. That's all it's trying to be. Hell, even the dev team says it's first and fore most a shooter and maybe a little bit RPG.

Fallout 3 invented the post apocalyptic FPS genre in the same way Halo invented the FPS genre.

Fallout 3 invented the post apocalyptic FPS genre in the same way Halo invented the FPS genre.

ce636272332c25067e4f9ba2e0cb94a51165251f.jpg

Shame on anyone who didn't detect that sarcasm.

Ya. I think most people don't detect the sarcasm anymore because they are too quick to jump on anything they can. Why so many fugly fat women are pregnant these days, no offense to any fugly fat woman reading this.

Ya. I think most people don't detect the sarcasm anymore because they are too quick to jump on anything they can. Why so many fugly fat women are pregnant these days, no offense to any fugly fat woman reading this.

Well, tbh, I believed the first part about FO3 inventing the post-apoc FPS genre. It was plausible.

But yea, my sarcasm radar was on the fritz today. :(

Before FO3 you think there were no prost-apoc FPS's? o.0 Really?

Before FO3 you think there were no prost-apoc FPS's? o.0 Really?

Hmm. You're right. I'm a bit sluggish today.

To me, I defined post-apoc as a nuclear wasteland type setting. An FPS in that setting doesn't immediately come to mind. I'm sure there is one (or more than one).

i wasn't too excited for this game until i watched the stream. looks like it's going to be mad fun. just a week to go now... :\

Hmm. You're right. I'm a bit sluggish today.

To me, I defined post-apoc as a nuclear wasteland type setting. An FPS in that setting doesn't immediately come to mind. I'm sure there is one (or more than one).

Stalker... although it's not as futuristic as Fallout 3.

This stream has been really great direct-advertising to hardcore gamers. I wasn't really sure how borderlands would play out in practice but now I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

I'm not on the fence at all about this game.

I'm off the fence, and firmly standing on the side of the fence that's in the camp of the people who won't be buying this game. The graphics are a huge, huge turnoff. I hated the look of Prince of Persia, and hate this even more. It's cartoony... and before you ask me what I want, yet another game composed of grays and whites... well, most of the games I play are actually quite colorful without having to resort to this cell shaded nonsense or whatever it is.

The graphics just take me right out of the game - it's a big turnoff.

This stream has been really great direct-advertising to hardcore gamers. I wasn't really sure how borderlands would play out in practice but now I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

Really? What's hardcore about it?

What's hardcore about it??? #1.....there is LOTS AND LOTS OF CANDAYYYY!!!! #2......It's like Diablo meets (enter twitch FPS here).....#3 It's 4 player co-op.......#4.....there are midgets......#5......progressive leveling......#6.......there are tons and tons of guns with awesome stats and nerdy stuff like that......

what ISN'T hardcore about this game?

The demographic it's made to appeal to. The endless loot collection reward mechanic is incredibly boring to those who play games in brief spurts and prefer variety over longevity.

Back