For those of you who bought an HD-DVD player from Best Buy - $50 gift card free

It's a nice gesture on Best Buy's part, seeing as how you get to keep your player, but it's not completely hands-off. Check out the fine print:

Members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, customers who purchased Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or who made their purchase on BestBuy.com should look for their gift cards in the mail by May 1. Other customers who may not be easily identified can call (888) BEST BUY to receive their gift cards with proof of purchase through a credit card or their Best Buy receipt.

The majority of people are probably going to have to call Best Buy to get their cards.

Wow, so not only do I not get the 5 extra HDs, I don't get the extra $50 either. I think I might return my A30 and just pick up the LG combo drive.

XBOX HD DVD w/King Kong = -$50
MIR for 5 free movies = @$10 average ea, +$50
Free Giftcard = +50

BestBuy is pretty much giving them away plus interest.

Or is my math not right?

Unfortunately for me, in my area BB did not have the price cut until the 25th. I guess they're not stupid.

XBOX HD DVD w/King Kong = -$50
MIR for 5 free movies = @$10 average ea, +$50
Free Giftcard = +50

BestBuy is pretty much giving them away plus interest.

Or is my math not right?

Unfortunately for me, in my area BB did not have the price cut until the 25th. I guess they're not stupid.

Your math is wrong.

There is no Free Gift Card if you buy it today. Its only for people you got it before Feb 23rd.

Anyways Big props for Bestbuy for doing this. $50 = almost free wii/pc game (Tax) or really cheap X360/PS3 game for me. I was already happy with Heroes Season 1, Matrix Ultimate Collection, Planet Earth, and X360 HD-DVD drive for $180. :)

And to those saying that this is just a way for Bestbuy to get you to come in and buy a lot, you'd have to buy a relatively expensive item for them to break even. It also depends on what you buy. I doubt they are making much more then $50 on gaming hardware like a PS3.

Your math is wrong.

There is no Free Gift Card if you buy it today. Its only for people you got it before Feb 23rd.

Anyways Big props for Bestbuy for doing this. $50 = almost free wii/pc game (Tax) or really cheap X360/PS3 game for me. I was already happy with Heroes Season 1, Matrix Ultimate Collection, Planet Earth, and X360 HD-DVD drive for $180. :)

And to those saying that this is just a way for Bestbuy to get you to come in and buy a lot, you'd have to buy a relatively expensive item for them to break even. It also depends on what you buy. I doubt they are making much more then $50 on gaming hardware like a PS3.

Did I not mention the whole deal with the 23rd? Do I not speake english, no? Even so with out the free giftcard its still worth it.

"Unfortunately for me, in my area BB did not have the price cut until the 25th. I guess they're not stupid."

Sorry I guess I misread that.

Anyways your right they aren't stupid and thats probably why thats the cut off date.

No need to apologize. Don't get my response in the wrong way.

Can anyone here say they got their XBOX HD DVD player before the 23rd for $50? I'm guessing no because from what I know K-Mart was the first one and they had it on the 24th.

Bastards had to tell me afterwards... I almost wish the guy at Circuit City didn't pricematch kmart.com (the day before all Xbox HD-DVD players went down to $50) so I would drive the 3 minutes to Best buy and get them to pricematch...

Then I could get a GC D=

Got my Gift Card yesterday. Didn't have to do anything, it just showed up. Enough for me to say "way to go Best Buy I love you now!"? Not a chance. But definitely more decent than I expected of them.

Got my GC today. Woohoo!

Did you call them or did they send it to you automatically? I got an email from them saying I may qualify and that I should call the number.

$50 giftcard for doing nothing but making a phone call? I'll take it.;)

I just called to find out when it would be arriving since some people have received them. I was told that mine has been mailed out and that it can take up to 4-6 weeks to receive it due to the post office. I doubt it will take that long, but if you haven't received it by then, you need to call them. You can also call just to make sure you're on the list.

Got mine in earlier this week, used it on that behemoth Rocketfish case that was on clearance for $4x.xx. Didn't have to do squat, just came in the mail. Considering that BB didn't have to send these out at all, I tip my hat to them for actually doing so!

Back