For those of you who bought an HD-DVD player from Best Buy - $50 gift card free

Circuit City was offering a full trade-in towards a Blu-Ray player or gift card.

$50, how generous, lol. Here, put this gift card towards your $400 BR purchase. :p No thanks, I'd rather keep it and enjoy the <$10 clearances on HDDVD movies.

So.. where's the rebate and where do we send it in? Can't seem to find it on that website.. can't beat a free $50 GC with no strings attached..

-R

Ahhh, I'm a day past this required date, weaksauce.

So.. where's the rebate and where do we send it in? Can't seem to find it on that website.. can't beat a free $50 GC with no strings attached..

-R

Try reading the page?

Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

$50, how generous, lol. Here, put this gift card towards your $400 BR purchase. :p No thanks, I'd rather keep it and enjoy the <$10 clearances on HDDVD movies.

of course you would, you're the biggest HDDVD fanboy ever and just can't let go :)

of course you would, you're the biggest HDDVD fanboy ever and just can't let go :)
I own both formats. But why spend hundreds more and give up something that has over 400 movie titles out, all of them going in the bargain bin? It's obviously a deal for Best Buy and not for the consumer. Some people are just completely retarded though and would do it, lol. Economical sense ftw.

I own both formats. But why spend hundreds more and give up something that has over 400 movie titles out, all of them going in the bargain bin? It's obviously a deal for Best Buy and not for the consumer. Some people are just completely retarded though and would do it, lol. Economical sense ftw.

Some people like buying new movies.... not old ones.

Yeah, up until two weeks ago we were still getting new movies.

I think a couple more get released this month followed by maybe a couple next month.

You make it sound like it's 2030 and we're still buying HD DVDs.

Edit: I've had a BR player now for almost two months and I still haven't bought more than 3 BRs. Why? Too damn expensive. I'll spend $60 on a game, but not $35/$40 on a damn movie.

Yeah, up until two weeks ago we were still getting new movies.

I think a couple more get released this month followed by maybe a couple next month.

You make it sound like it's 2030 and we're still buying HD DVDs.

Edit: I've had a BR player now for almost two months and I still haven't bought more than 3 BRs. Why? Too damn expensive. I'll spend $60 on a game, but not $35/$40 on a damn movie.

No, I just don't understand the cutting down on someone who would take the free $50 and buy a blu ray player....

You people act like HDDVD is still the same thing.... it's not. It's over. So what's wrong with saving $50?

No, I just don't understand the cutting down on someone who would take the free $50 and buy a blu ray player....

You people act like HDDVD is still the same thing.... it's not. It's over. So what's wrong with saving $50?

Agreed, HDDVD is dead...one day you will have to realize that. When that day comes it will be too late to get your $50. I've never paid over $20 for a BR movie btw...and I own nearly 50 of them. Just look for deals.

I didn't think I'd ever see someone complain about getting a $50 gift card.

yeah, I re-bought many movies in HD. They're about oh.. 2.5x better to view in HD picture along with better sound.

Please explain to me how the customer loses money when they are given $50.... for nothing?

Because the majority of consumers will use that $50 towards a larger purchase. Thus, increasing the profit for BB in the long run, and driving traffic into the stores.

If I read this right you get the 50 card without handing over your HD player. So, what's the big deal? It's unexpected "free" money. I think it's BB stepping up. Looking forward to opening my mail in May

The site mentions the trade in program for which they give you $50 for your HDDVD player, and some sort of value for the movies. That is not a deal.

Only if you purchased your DVD player from Best Buy, they give you a gift card. That part is a good deal, because they do not take it from you.

Please take the time to comprehend and read instead of flaming.

Because the majority of consumers will use that $50 towards a larger purchase. Thus, increasing the profit for BB in the long run, and driving traffic into the stores.

OHHHHH, so the customer LOSES money by getting $50 off something more expensive....

I see what you did there.... :rolleyes:

Wow...

Creator, this is the internet. Don't get so bent out of shape and flame everyone. We are just having a friendly discussion.

The site mentions the trade in program for which they give you $50 for your HDDVD player, and some sort of value for the movies. That is not a deal.

Only if you purchased your DVD player from Best Buy, they give you a gift card. That part is a good deal, because they do not take it from you.

Please take the time to comprehend and read instead of flaming.

There's no trade in, read the thing again, they are sending you a $50 gift card for free, nothing to trade in. You just needed to purchase a player from them before Feb. 23, 2008.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Creator, this is the internet. Don't get so bent out of shape and flame everyone. We are just having a friendly discussion.

It just amazes me when you guys come up with the dumbest shit ever... Like customers "lose" when they get free money.

I'm done, anyways, it's a good deal, never bitch about free money.

There's no trade in, read the thing again, they are sending you a $50 gift card for free, nothing to trade in. You just needed to purchase a player from them before Feb. 23, 2008.
You didn't read what I wrote, and you didn't read the whole "deal".

It just amazes me when you guys come up with the dumbest shit ever... Like customers "lose" when they get free money.

If you own a 8800GTX, I'll give you $70 for it.

Yeah, the TradeMeIn program. That's what I was talking about. It's not a deal.

I think you missed the whole point of the "consumers lose" statement.
  1. I purchased an HD-DVD player for $300 in January
  2. I purchased a handful of movies, totaling around $200
  3. HD-DVD dies
  4. BB gives me $50
So, I'm only getting back 10% of my original investment ... granted, I can still use my HD-DVD player (although the fan on my unit sounds like an airplane taking off) but I won't be able to purchase any new releases. And will be forced to upgrade to Blu-Ray at some point in the future.

I give credit to BB for doing this, they are in no way obligated to give anyone $50 gift cards. However, it will certainly drive more customers to the stores which is also a plus for them.

Yeah, the TradeMeIn program. That's what I was talking about. It's not a deal.

Ok, fine. Everyone else was talking about the $50 dollar gift card, not the TradeMeIn program, what does it have to do with:

For those of you who bought an HD-DVD player from Best Buy - $50 gift card free, which is the title and subject of this thread?

I think you missed the whole point of the "consumers lose" statement.
  1. I purchased an HD-DVD player for $300 in January
  2. I purchased a handful of movies, totaling around $200
  3. HD-DVD dies
  4. BB gives me $50
So, I'm only getting back 10% of my original investment ... granted, I can still use my HD-DVD player (although the fan on my unit sounds like an airplane taking off) but I won't be able to purchase any new releases. And will be forced to upgrade to Blu-Ray at some point in the future.

I give credit to BB for doing this, they are in no way obligated to give anyone $50 gift cards. However, it will certainly drive more customers to the stores which is also a plus for them.

Exactly it's not best buys fault you bought the wrong format... .they are giving you free money for your fuck up... What more do you want? It doesn't say you need to spend more then $50 to use the money or anything else... it's free...

I wish they'd give me free money for buying my ps3 there.... i'd be happy...

Ok, fine. Everyone else was talking about the $50 dollar gift card, not the TradeMeIn program, what does it have to do with:

For those of you who bought an HD-DVD player from Best Buy - $50 gift card free, which is the title and subject of this thread?
It was right on the BB link the OP linked to. It is mentioned as part of the deal.

It was right on the BB link the OP linked to. It is mentioned as part of the deal.

It's not part of this deal, it's a separate deal mentioned for those who did not buy their HD-DVD player at Best Buy and it's not what this thread was discussing.

It's not part of this deal, it's a separate deal mentioned for those who did not buy their HD-DVD player at Best Buy and it's not what this thread was discussing.

That is not 100% accurate. Yes, there is two seperate deals. But even if you purchased your HD-DVD player from Best Buy you can trade it in.

1.) a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008

2.) If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies

People complaining about a free $50 gift card...there's no stipulation that you must use it on a Blu-Ray player...

Use it on something that you would have bought from Best Buy anyways and save $50 (for example when the 10% off coupon comes and you go buy a game like you normally would, use the $50 and get it for free).

You fail to see the logic of Best Buy and the BDA making money off of this, and the consumer losing money.

No, I see the logic.

But you're just being a negative nancy, getting a free $50 gift card is deffinitely not a negative for a consumer that will most likely buy a br player regardless. You trying to argue that getting a free $50 gift card is a bad thing brings the lulz

Back