For those of you that use a Gamepad with their PC

Primarily a wireless xbox360 controller, but I also have a wired for my notebook. Also have a second wireless and a couple of fighting sticks for fighting games.

dualshock 3 connected with 10 foot USB cable. Install MotioninJoy to emulate 360 controller, as well as a few other options.

What in gods name is B&M, and how in the hell are you!? Long time no talk...

Sorry for the late response! Work, also the reason I havnt been around to much, is why. :p

B&M = Brick and Mortar

I needed it that day, 'cause I need darksouls :p

edit; the issue with motionjoy is latency due to processing, to the tune of several hundred milliseconds.

Xbox 360 wireless controller. And when the Xbox One controller releases, I'll likely buy that as well.

edit; the issue with motionjoy is latency due to processing, to the tune of several hundred milliseconds.
Haven't noticed!

connected with USB: Dark Souls, Dirt 3, Sonic and Allstars Racing Evolved, and some other multiplat games have all felt exactly like they do on PS3. I'm sure there is a little bit of added latency, due to the XID translation. But it's definitely not several hundred milliseconds.

I'm not denying that MotionInJoy has some latency, but it isn't massive. If I'm able to play fighting games at a pretty high level with it - I'd say that's mostly fine. Granted I don't mess with the analogs at all, but for the d-pad and buttons, it isn't noticeably worse than playing on a PS3.

Xbox 360 wireless controller. And when the Xbox One controller releases, I'll likely buy that as well.

Same for me. I even used the original Xbox "duke" controller with a usb adapter before the 360 was out.

Haven't noticed!

connected with USB: Dark Souls, Dirt 3, Sonic and Allstars Racing Evolved, and some other multiplat games have all felt exactly like they do on PS3. I'm sure there is a little bit of added latency, due to the XID translation. But it's definitely not several hundred milliseconds.

I'm glad to hear it's changed then!

Back when I had first tried it, it was less than ideal. I would press O to jump and the action would occur noticeably later. At that time, it only seemed to register on depress rather that initiall press.

More options are good!

Wired 360 pad, likely to upgrade to XBox One controller if it proves to be better than the 360 pad. My 360 pad, now six years old, isn't looking as great as it once did!

Wired x360 pad, i find the dpad doesn't work that great with NES games, but it is usable ....

Ps3 controller. Works great with ps2 games supporting touch sensitive buttons.

for most games i prefer the razer onza. it has much better face buttons, sticks, and triggers than the standard 360 controller, though the d-pad is still awful. for older stuff i use an snes controller via usb adapter.

also for anyone using a dualshock3, this xinput wrapper is a great alternative to motionjoy. it's much cleaner and less likely to constantly mess with your drivers.

Wired 360 controller here too. I'm looking to get a Sega Saturn USB gamepad for some fighting action.

Wired 360 controller here too. I'm looking to get a Sega Saturn USB gamepad for some fighting action.

The Madcatz are based on the Saturn controllers and there are some basic mods you can do to them so they last longer. I broke my last "Sega" USB controller, but my Madcatz controllers are still alive, USB xbox 360.

The Madcatz are based on the Saturn controllers and there are some basic mods you can do to them so they last longer. I broke my last "Sega" USB controller, but my Madcatz controllers are still alive, USB xbox 360.

Thanks for the info. My brother and I have two Street Fighter IV control pads. Do they just plug and play for the PC? I'd try it myself, but the controllers are at my parents' house.

Been using, since it was released, a Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad. First one wore out after about 2 years (thank you for being just that awesome, ReVolt, Midtown Madness 1&2, and a few flight sims - throttle slider on it kicks ass). I found a bundle of 3 brand new in the box on eBay for a steal of a deal. Gave one to a friend as a gift, still have one in the box, so still using the 1st from the bundle.

I don't think I will ever be able to transition to another gamepad, since I hate the newer and shitty designed uncomfortable PlayStation and Xbox style versions that have been on the market since the original Rumble Pad went EOL.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a Wireless Xbox360 Gamepad (Silver Edition w/ dual mode DPAD) with the official USB X360 controller-for-pc dongle (Note: these say Microsoft on them, NOT Xbox360. Even on Amazon, they sell the knock-offs which say Xbox360), most of the time. Thanks to games utilizing Xinput and good driver support (even on Linux they are not difficult to configure!), these are worthwhile. Pick up a "Play and Charge" kit that has a USB cable for charging (and for charging only) and a rechargeable battery etc... and you're good to go.

If you want to go a little cheaper, you can also use a wired X360 controller. Microsoft refuses to license any 3rd parties the right to make wireless X360 controllers, but they do allow wired ones, do look for lots of 3rd party options as well - some of them, high quality (Razer Onza Tournament Edition, for instance). This also goes for specialty controllers, like the FightStick Tournament Edition, or ACE EDGE flight sim HOTAS...

Logitech's F series gamepads are also worthwhile, if you want pads that support Xinput (ie using an X360 controller detected etc..) but with a more Playstation 3 shape and layout to them. The F710 is I believe the top of the line wireless variant.

Sony's PS3 controller, the Dual Shock 3 is great hardware on PC that unfortunately is hobbled by shitty software compatibility. Sony didnt' see fit to create drivers or API for PC use, so you'll need to use something like the MotionInJoy 3rd party drivers to get them working, which can be a bit of a pain. However, the hardware is solid and less proprietary like their wireless support of Bluetooth etc. MotionInJoy can be used to tell the thing to emulate an Xinput (X360) controller, which is useful because if you don't then it means you'll have to use something that defines all the keys like Xpadder etc... for it to be detected and used in game. I really think Sony should take the time to ensure the PS4 controller runs entirely on open protocols and there is a good API/driver kit available for devs on PC to utilize/support.

Logitech F710 for me. The switch on the top that lets you switch between DirectInput and XInput modes is awesome. In XInput mode, the operating system sees it as a 360 controller. In DirectInput mode it shows as a Cordless Rumblepad 2.

At one point (before the F710 came out) I had switched to the 360 controller but I always kept a Cordless Rumblepad 2 hooked up for playing a few older stubborn games/emulators. The F710 with the switch really is a 2-in-1 for me and is just something that made my life a little easier.

I haven't used a console daily since the PS2 days but I'd like to get a wired controller for my PC. I have an older Logitech gamepad which works great but can be a pain to set up the buttons and triggers for each game. I tried an XBOX 360 controller and it just seems small for my hands. It was the white one which I don't see on Amazon or Newegg anymore. I assume the black controller is the same size or did the XBOX 360 controller come in two sizes?

I haven't used a console daily since the PS2 days but I'd like to get a wired controller for my PC. I have an older Logitech gamepad which works great but can be a pain to set up the buttons and triggers for each game. I tried an XBOX 360 controller and it just seems small for my hands. It was the white one which I don't see on Amazon or Newegg anymore. I assume the black controller is the same size or did the XBOX 360 controller come in two sizes?

all microsoft 360 controllers are the same size. maybe you could try the onza? the controller's not actually any bigger, but the straight lines give it a chunkier feel and the buttons are spread across a slightly larger surface area.

too bad you can't get one of these.

I have small kids, so a wired 360 controller. I went cheap with a Razer model and it's worked out well so far.

Logitech F710 for me. The switch on the top that lets you switch between DirectInput and XInput modes is awesome. In XInput mode, the operating system sees it as a 360 controller. In DirectInput mode it shows as a Cordless Rumblepad 2.

Yea I really need a controller that can do not only older games/emulators, but also apps that are NOT game-related in any way. So, I'm guessing Logitech F710 would work best for me, and not the xbox or ps3 ones - I'm somewhat interested in wireless ps3 because I may buy that console at some point :p

Back