For Those Interested: Overclocking a Pentium M Laptop Info

Did it. Had a 1.5 Celeron M 370. Now its at 2.0 and runs noticably faster. :D

It sucks you guys had to completely disassemble it. The new B130s (which I got) just have a panel with one screw over the heatsink and proc. So it was as easy as removing 5 screws (1 on panel, 4 on heatsink). Thing is, it doesn't seem to affect the batt life at all. I got the stock 4 cell batt and I still seem to get around 2 hours. Great mod. Are there anymore mods that us Dothan users should do?

markt435 said:
Are there anymore mods that us Dothan users should do?
Get Notebook Hardware Control and under-volt your CPU.

I run my 1.5 @ 2GHz with 1.148v max (from 1.344v max) and i cut the minimum voltage to 0.700v from 0.988v. I have the multipliers between min and max set to intermediate voltages (my CPU doesn't hit 1.0v until 1.73GHz).

The ratio of CPU power is proportional to voltage squared, so going from 1.344v to 1.148v cut power by roughly 25% and from 0.988v to 0.700v cut power by roughly 50%.

Im also OCing a 1.7 to 2.26. Very nice OC and relatively safe. The pin is smaller than I could of ever imagined though. I needed a magnifying glass to insert it into the socket in its right slots. All this using tweezers which you don't get many tries with one piece of wire--you'll lose it very easily.

You begin to realize the value of this overclock when you look for the retail/oem version stock clocked everywhere else. I literally paid 1/4 the price for the same speed.

....and you cant say, you can OC that stock processor (laptop) to even higher speed hence a better value. Nope--it wont work on those 533mhz PMs for one, and the hight 400fsb chips like the 2.0 are very difficult to OC. There are however a few 2.8 laptops out there. Lucky them!!! :)

makes me sad. the celeron doesn't have the speedstep crap the p-m does. so all i can do is the pin mod. and if i want more voltage i have to pin mod it again. makes me wonder if you can pin mod it to reduce voltage but i haven't seen that yet.

Back