For the love of god, if you sell products from a smoker's home please say so in your ad...

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
What the title says.

I don't run into this problem much anymore these days, probably because people finally realize lung cancer and emphysema are really shitty ways to die. But I recently got shipped a GTX 770 that had that oh so special signature smell, and upon examining the fans the back sides of the blades were coated in that delicious chewy gooey orange combination of dust and tar.

To the seller's credit it looks like he did at least make an effort to blow dust out of the card, but that doesn't matter with the tar coated stuff. And no matter how clean you think you have it whenever you power that bad boy up and those fans start spinning, it's like you've got a new Glade Plug-in somewhere in your bedroom / office. Ugh.

For fuck's sake....

The only reason I'm not revealing the seller's username is that #1 it was a pretty decent deal ($60) and #2 it seems to work fine. :)

What the title says.

I don't run into this problem much anymore these days, probably because people finally realize lung cancer and emphysema are really shitty ways to die. But I recently got shipped a GTX 770 that had that oh so special signature smell, and upon examining the fans the back sides of the blades were coated in that delicious chewy gooey orange combination of dust and tar.

To the seller's credit it looks like he did at least make an effort to blow dust out of the card, but that doesn't matter with the tar coated stuff. And no matter how clean you think you have it whenever you power that bad boy up and those fans start spinning, it's like you've got a new Glade Plug-in somewhere in your bedroom / office. Ugh.

For fuck's sake....

The only reason I'm not revealing the seller's username is that #1 it was a pretty decent deal ($60) and #2 it seems to work fine. :)

I think you underestimate how much smoker are in denial about their habbits. You have to be to continue smoking.

Well some say you could of asked ;)

ps. I don't smoke and agree with you !

I bought a PSU from a smoker once, they didn’t disclose it. After some discussion, I decided to toss it in the trash. Wasn’t worth the hassles.

You could have the opposite problem.. I hate when I buy something and it came from a house where the woman bathed in perfume and excessively used Bath and Body Works lotion while handling the product. I used a whole can of Freon-TF cleaning the inside of a laptop I bought once.. lol.

Op if you want to eliminate the bad odor, just put the graphics card into a box with some tea bags around it in a few days or a week.

Take down to bare PCB squirt with simple green, let sit for a few minutes, then scrub it with a SOFT toothbrush to get the tar and residue off. Run it under a sink with warm water to rinse. Then grab a gallon of distilled water and rinse the card with that. Hang it up like a shirt in your basement or a room where it can air dry with a fan running next to it for 24 hours. Grab the heatsink and scrub it the same way. I normally remove the fans and I use a chip brush with alcohol to clean the fans, also a chip brush to remove the dust and any deposits from the heatsink. Rinse with warm water and hang to dry. Keep the fans aside and do not submerge.

If you follow above, your card will look and smell like new and work just fine.

Could understand the people thinking it's disgusting, don't get the high and mighty judging people who do a vice. Do you get more FPS on that high horse? :)

You could also add to that list are cat hoarders whose house smells of cat piss and stench. That shit will cling to PC parts as well.

don't get the high and mighty judging people who do a vice.

OP didn't judge until the sellers vice. He also shared his opinion on smokers, which I agree with. It's Fn disgusting. The seller however, should have disclosed the fact that he was including a free nicotine coating with every purchase. If it is THAT noticeable, yes it is your responsibility to disclose. Same with pets (hair). If you're selling something that will include DNA, the purchaser probably wants to know in advance.

on that high horse?

Non-smokers...

1 (45).gif

Back