"For the [H]orde Boxen Giveaway!" Signup

I don't get where I apply this for 6.30

Use the -smp or -smp N switch at all times.?

Thanks.

Used to fold many years ago until my old folding box died. I shall give it a go again though I doubt I will get enough points.

@ Ryzin,

If you follow the guide below that text, you will be set. It instructs you on using the -smp flag when you run the configuration in step 1. Just follow the steps below that set of requirements and you are good to go. Each step mentions a brief fyi on each configuration. Once you complete and the console runs, check your CPU utilization and all cores will show 100% activity.

Does folding work with a geforce 8600?
Can I use both GPu and cpu folding at the same time?

http://hardfolding.com/fh_stats/index.php?pz=102&id=1998950&tnum=33

I believe the answer to both is yes:

The video card is an 8-series, which meets the requirements for the GPU2 client *1
The CPU will spend some cycles feeding the video card, so it might lose some productivity on the CPU end, though I can't say for certain if that would be an issue. *2

*1 - Reference: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide
*2 - Particularly if you are running the uni-processor, it shouldn't be an issue - however, if you are running the SMP client, they might crowd each other a bit; caveat - what I saw of the GPU client on my system was around 25% CPU utilization, so you might be able to restrict the SMP client by cores, which would definitely reduce its output but potentially let you run both side by side. This might work better if you have a quad-core (or HT dual) and run the SMP client with -smp 3 (# cores - 1) - if my GPU weren't such a piece of crap, I'd probably run it this way, but it turned out that my card isn't worth running at the expense of my SMP client

Last edited:
Too late? I fired things up earlier this month, does it count?

Most of the reason I have been not folding has been cost of electricity, but since its a good-cause giveaway why not? :)

Signed up and running as well :p

please update me for the list as well :p I am in.

Last edited:
So we need 1,000,000 points in a month to compete? I'm getting about 7k ppd with 2 comps running a SMP and GPU client each...

you only need 1mil points in a month if you missed the inital signup period(which was extended by a nice chunk), so ya, you will need 1 million.

btw, depending on your hardware it sounds like you may have the SMP client running the classic client rather than smp, you may want to make a thread to see if we can help you get more PPD.

DOH, server unavailable to hand out new work... This does not help! Come on server!!!

If you have two computers of fairly recent build AND gpu clients on recent build running, yeah you might not be setup correctly.

Here's hoping I can squeeze out the 1M points by the 31st.

Hmmm...I thought I signed this thread. Been folding like gangbusters for 7-8 weeks now, but I don't see my name in the list. Too late for me?

Hmmm...I thought I signed this thread. Been folding like gangbusters for 7-8 weeks now, but I don't see my name in the list. Too late for me?

Gkankis probaly just missed it, shoot him a friendly PM, with a link to the post you made with your badge.

i checked your post history.. you posted in the wrong thread.. was suppose to be this one..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036040703&postcount=66

2.png

this is a one time thing im not doing this for everyone.. just got lucky im in a good mood right now.. this means everyone else better check their shit and make sure they posted in the correct thread WITH their badges!

i checked your post history.. you posted in the wrong thread.. was suppose to be this one..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036040703&postcount=66

2.png

this is a one time thing im not doing this for everyone.. just got lucky im in a good mood right now.. this means everyone else better check their shit and make sure they posted in the correct thread WITH their badges!

You're a peach, thanks!!! I will pay closer attention to my shit from now on. :) As slow as my folding seems to be going, it's a good thing I entered on 8/10. I started using the SMP client yesterday, which I am running in conjunction with the GPU client. Hopefully this will make my PPD not quite so pathetic.

Last edited:
javascript:document.vbform.message.value=document.vbform.message.value + '\n\n'; document.vbform.submit(); halt;

Back