For small workgroup w/ small files (20MB or less) does NVMe SSD makes a difference?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Say we are talking about Intel Pro 2500 480GB SSD vs. Samsung 512GB NVMe M.2 PCI E SSD slot. and we have 4 to 5 people reading / writing files on a workgroup peer to peer network.

and the files are no more than 20MB, in that case, can these 4 to 5 users notice any difference on data files reading / writing between Intel 480GB SSD, which is at 530 MB/s or so on read/write, vs. Samsung NVMe M.2, which is at 2150 Mb/s or so on read / write

Your network will saturate before either of the drives will.
If you are using Gigabit networking, you are looking at 100-125MB/s max transfers.

Your network will saturate before either of the drives will.
If you are using Gigabit networking, you are looking at 100-125MB/s max transfers.

he never said he was on Gb E. What network is he one? I assume he would know Gb E would be the limiting issue at hand if he is running that type of network unless he is curious about 4K IO, over Gb E, which is an entirely different question.

That is something I am curious about actually is how does network cards handle sequential vs random or is that irrelevant.

the 3 pc is brand new, so it is gigabyte ethernet, however, the cables behind the wall is at least 8 yr. old, don't know what kind of cable it is. the router is brand new gigabyte ethernet. the 4th pc is 8 yr. old, so that old pc could slow down the rest, as I don't think the old pc is gigabyte ethernet

if these pc's are just running old standard HDD then just going to SSD you will see a big difference.

if these pc's are just running old standard HDD then just going to SSD you will see a big difference.

they are already running SSD. But the server is 8 yr. old and it's the server that I wonder if we should jump to NVMe from hard drive

However, after the post the above, I discover that Samsung NVMe drive disappear on boot up, complaints from a few users in this sub-forum, in other words, it's the Intel 8 MB bug kind of game all over again.

As such, we should avoid these NVMe regardless

they are already running SSD. But the server is 8 yr. old and it's the server that I wonder if we should jump to NVMe from hard drive

However, after the post the above, I discover that Samsung NVMe drive disappear on boot up, complaints from a few users in this sub-forum, in other words, it's the Intel 8 MB bug kind of game all over again.

As such, we should avoid these NVMe regardless

you would use the 950 pro not that oem drive but again I really dont see any point in getting a 950pro because you are using Gb E and not 10 Gb E. If it was 10 Gb E sure because that would allow 4 uses to draw 1 Gb E each.

I am putting my NAS into a 10 Gb E port so I can have multiple clients push and pull 1 Gb E at the same time so if you got a switch that was 10 Gb E that would make a big difference

I'll just stick w/ Intel SSD at 550MB/s, it's safer. Do a search under Samsung in this Storage sub-forum, you'll see a few other members have their 850 disappear: Drive not found

Back