For Sake of Argument: RST and Timeshifting

hmp_goose

n00b
Maybe I haven't' looked hard enough, but I don't think I've ever seen any doctrine on letting the HDD on a timeshifting HTPC go to sleep. I presume one doesn't, as it might screw up the the start of any given recording, even at the risk of burning out the drive and losing everything.

So this leads to my question: Wouldn't it make since to set up a Rapid Storage Technology drive (partition?) between you data drive and … Well: Everything else? This way, the HDD could sleep most of the time, and since SDDs "wake up" quickly, intercept the new recording.

I mention "partitions" because it seems to me one could split a good-sized drive into boot and RST without too much damage. I suppose no one's ever talked about how the RAM disk trick works with RST, but I would guess it's still not a bad idea …

Gentlemen? :confused:

I have 4 tuners and set my HD to go to sleep in 15 minutes of inactivity.

In windows media center 7
1) Time shift does not work for a recording, a recorded show will only record the time slot. You are time shifting on the actual recorded file
2) Time shift only works with live TV, the moment you exit live TV it deletes the cache and starts fresh.

I'm not sure what the problem is, the stress of having the HD spin up? Having the HD miss the start of a recording because it was spinning up?

I've never had any problems, other then the noise of my 7,200 rpm drive firing up at 8pm.

Back