For people complaining about less aggressive AG coating..

Status
Not open for further replies.

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
What's the alternative? Hopefully not the glossy display, they are terrible when it comes to light glare.

Is there a top end matte but less aggressive AG type of display?

I don't know, I have NEC 2490WUXi2 at work and its AG coating is PERFECT! The whites are clean and bright, no "dirty" feeling, just a slight "frostiness".

On the other hand, I have Dell U2410 at home, and its AG coating is far less perfect. It makes the white look dim and dirty, no matter the brightness.

Still, I prefer even poorly implemented AG coating over glossy panels. If I wanted a mirror, I'd simply buy one, not a monitor. :D

The AG coating on my Dells are fine, but I've heard other people complain that it's too much. I got mine quite recently and apparently Dell toned down the AG on the newer revisions.

If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different responses to the level of AG coating on a particular monitor, it's quite a personal preference I think. Having worked with matte monitors all the time both at home and at work I've probably stopped noticing the "dirtiness".

It is not personal preference due to the limited options and you will get different responses because most have never compared coatings. If one could chose from a U2312 with LG's coating or a U2312 with less coating (not glossy), I doubt any one would pick the first option.

This is an image of aggressive AG from an IPS monitor
http://i50.tinypic.com/106wnlv.jpg

This is an image of semi-glossy coating from an LG IPS TV.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ujjdz4.jpg

The more dirt you smear on your glasses, the dirtier they get....

Last edited:
The AG coating on my Dells are fine, but I've heard other people complain that it's too much. I got mine quite recently and apparently Dell toned down the AG on the newer revisions.

My Dell is manufactured in Jan 2012 and its AG looks also fine. Until you put it next to some REALLY fine AG coated panel. :D

If one could chose from a U2312 with LG's coating or a U2312 with less coating (not glossy), I doubt any one would pick the first option.

I know I personally wouldn't. There is a marked difference between the coating on the U2311H and the 32LK450 or 32CS560 (terrible TV is terrible). Granted, that is also comparing an e-IPS to S-IPS but the coating is what makes the U2311H "shimmer" on lighter colours as well as making the colours look "flat/matte". In addition to that everything has a slight fuzziness to it almost like there is a very light "smudge" across the screen. Comparing it to the U2711 I saw though, the coating on the U2311H is extremely light. I should point out that my U2311H is a recent refurbish/purchase so there is a chance it would up with a less aggressive coating in the process. At the same time though, comparing the U2311H to the Samsung 930b (TN 5:4 monitor) makes the coating look heavy and more intrusive.

In the end it's all relative to what coating you're comparing it to and, as Ncx pointed out, everyone's choice in the matter are extremely limited.

Whatever Sony put on my CRT is fine. Not glossy, but not frosty or what have you...

If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different responses to the level of AG coating on a particular monitor, it's quite a personal preference I think. Having worked with matte monitors all the time both at home and at work I've probably stopped noticing the "dirtiness".

Hm well I am still rocking my 2007wfp (with the IPS panel) so unless I got some magic model that was spared older granier AG even moreso, perhaps I am immune to this specific facet of monitor technology?

One thing I do know, glossy monitors are terrible, I don't know why anyone would want to own a mirror. But as far as matte displays, I have never really seen much focus on the quality and level of AG coating, until now.

AG is crap all TV are glossy why? because the pictures are a lot better some people do more then only sufing on facebook and reading emails. If you don't want a mirror then don't put a glossy display in front of a Window.
CRT's were all glossy and people in offices with light reflection problems had bought a anti-glare to put over the display, That's how it should be done.

AG is crap all TV are glossy why? because the pictures are a lot better some people do more then only sufing on facebook and reading emails. If you don't want a mirror then don't put a glossy display in front of a Window.

Not just a window, any light source will render a glossy display pretty much useless. If you're in a dark basement or turn off all the lights then yeah, I agree a glossy display is better. But there's a reason why all offices have matte displays. As for TV's, I hate having to draw the curtains every time it's sunny outside...

It's how you set up a glossy Monitor or TV. If it is set up so no direct light sources is facing the screen then you have no problem with revelations.
And like i said you can buy an Anti-reflective coating for a display so there is no point in it for Monitors to have a cheap Anti-reflective coating that you can't remove.

Glossy isn't that bad since the light coming from the backlight will in most cases be stronger than any reflected light. The only problem is when there's a dark scene going on then you have to orient the glossy so no strong light sources cases reflection.

Of course the best solution would be to just sell 2 models of the same monitor and give users the choice.

Apple? Give people a choice??
I think most of those reviews are from people who bought the monitor without any prior research on its level of glossiness, expecting an awesome screen because it's from Apple and they paid a fortune for it.

Glossy isn't that bad since the light coming from the backlight will in most cases be stronger than any reflected light. The only problem is when there's a dark scene going on then you have to orient the glossy so no strong light sources cases reflection.

That's always been the issue with glossy though. When everything's perfect, I really do think glossy can look stunning - but there are too many minor situational conditions that can cause a striking distraction/reflection and really ruin it. No windows and completely controlled lighting where you're using it, maybe; otherwise, I'll take some AG-coating most any day of the week.

Apple? Give people a choice??
I think most of those reviews are from people who bought the monitor without any prior research on its level of glossiness, expecting an awesome screen because it's from Apple and they paid a fortune for it.

I was more thinking of Dell when I said that. U2711a (anti-glare) and U2711g (glossy). Problem solved, everyone's happy.
Though I suppose if they just used lighter AG like TN panels do, maybe less people would have an issue with it.

Yeah it would be awesome if manufacturers built monitors with choices of AG levels. Unfortunately the demand for 1080p+ IPS monitors is too low and the price too high to make this viable.

What's the alternative? Hopefully not the glossy display, they are terrible when it comes to light glare.

Is there a top end matte but less aggressive AG type of display?

People with the Catleap Q270 and Samsung S27A850 seem pretty happy with the mild AG. Anyways, I had to RMA my DELLU3011, it was unusable.

The AG on my NEC monitors doesn't bother me at all. I suppose I'm just not that sensitive to it.

Re: Thread topic title :confused:

Is anyone really complaining about "less aggressive AG coating?"

I thought most people on here don't mind less aggressive AG coating, and actually prefer it to either pure glossy or 'more' aggressive matte.

CRT's were all glossy and people in offices with light reflection problems had bought a anti-glare to put over the display, That's how it should be done.

So by your logic, because all TV's are glossy that must mean it's the superior way to do things, right? Even though by and large most LCD monitors are matte. Glossy computer monitors just feel like a gimmick to grab people into buying them. It may give off the presence of a sharper screen, but it is a mirror all in all. This "oh well, don't put it near a window" nonsense is silly. How about I put it wherever I want? And besides, they reflect more than just window light.

Last time I look when I got my current IPS monitor pretty much the only one making a glossy screen was NEC, and while it got very high praise the gloss received quite a bit of complaints, and was partly my motivation in going a different route in the end.

Pictures are not "a lot better", that's what you get a superior panel for.

And actually, even older CRT's weren't nearly as bad as the extra glossy stuff that is put out today.

It's how you set up a glossy Monitor or TV. If it is set up so no direct light sources is facing the screen then you have no problem with revelations.
And like i said you can buy an Anti-reflective coating for a display so there is no point in it for Monitors to have a cheap Anti-reflective coating that you can't remove.

And glossy is all the sudden expensive? You can't remove glossy either.

Re: Thread topic title :confused:

Is anyone really complaining about "less aggressive AG coating?"

I thought most people on here don't mind less aggressive AG coating, and actually prefer it to either pure glossy or 'more' aggressive matte.

Seemed to be brought up a lot in the few topics I read straight away, was surprised as it was really the first time I had hear that discussed.

Pictures are not "a lot better", that's what you get a superior panel for.

What constitutes "better" is highly subjective. Some people may think the "sparkle" of anti-glare on an IPS screen and the lack of reflections is "better". Others feel the lack of the "sparkle" on an IPS panel and a controlled lighting environment that lacks reflections is "better". Neither is actually "better", they are just better "suited" for the intended usage. I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to pick a side and speak in absolutes as it's perfectly okay to have differing viewpoints without telling someone they are wrong for diagreeing rather than actually being wrong.

And actually, even older CRT's weren't nearly as bad as the extra glossy stuff that is put out today.

I don't know what CRT you were looking at but every single one I have ever seen is every bit as much of a "mirror" as a glossy display or a plasma is.

And glossy is all the sudden expensive? You can't remove glossy either.

You can however easily make it non glossy without voiding your warranty in the process unlike when you take a matte display and make it glossy.

I don't know what CRT you were looking at but every single one I have ever seen is every bit as much of a "mirror" as a glossy display or a plasma is.
Really? I'm writing this from an old Dell P991 CRT and it's definately not mirror glossy. I wouldn't describe it as glossy at all. Yes, it reflects light, but it is far from todays glossy panels and it is not all matte either.

I also happen to have an old 14" Sony Trinitron TV (working), which is a little bit more mirror-like that the Dell monitor, but again - nowhere near the LCD glossy panels, that you can buy today.

What constitutes "better" is highly subjective. Some people may think the "sparkle" of anti-glare on an IPS screen and the lack of reflections is "better". Others feel the lack of the "sparkle" on an IPS panel and a controlled lighting environment that lacks reflections is "better". Neither is actually "better", they are just better "suited" for the intended usage. I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to pick a side and speak in absolutes as it's perfectly okay to have differing viewpoints without telling someone they are wrong for diagreeing rather than actually being wrong.

Agree entirely. Although I prefer semi-glossy or glossy, I would never tell someone else they are wrong if they prefer matte. It's all about preference. The annoying part is there are so few options out there for those who dislike the coating.

I find it amusing and strange when people argue that someone else is wrong for liking glossy. It's almost like LCD tribalism. I've even seen some people put up posts referencing public opinion polls, somehow thinking that if the majority prefer one option (in this case, matte) then that makes someone else's preference less valid.

Theres definitively way too much variability on the aggressiveness of the ag coatings on the IPS panels. I have had u2410's that looked atrocious and others than looked alright. Not as good as S-PVA ag coating on my 2408wfp which in my opinion is one of the best, but usable. Samsungs VA panels seem to have the AG coating down to a science. My two craiglist 1907fpv's ($35 a piece!) which both have samsung pva panels have the seem good coating.

The fact is glossy displays have a lot better picture quality, reflection is caused by people that can't set up a display correctly so that there is no direct light sources facing the screen.

But there are some glossy panels, that act almost like mirrors and reflect even if you don't have any direct light sources facing the screen.

Agree entirely. Although I prefer semi-glossy or glossy, I would never tell someone else they are wrong if they prefer matte. It's all about preference. The annoying part is there are so few options out there for those who dislike the coating.

I find it amusing and strange when people argue that someone else is wrong for liking glossy. It's almost like LCD tribalism. I've even seen some people put up posts referencing public opinion polls, somehow thinking that if the majority prefer one option (in this case, matte) then that makes someone else's preference less valid.

Tell that to the person who I am actually responding to trying to act like the mirror display of glossy (which are far in the minority of matte monitors out there and are certainly not situated in the upper quality tier in ever case)

VV

The fact is glossy displays have a lot better picture quality, reflection is caused by people that can't set up a display correctly so that there is no direct light sources facing the screen.

And correction Outbreaker, glossy displays do not provide better picture quality, you need to get that through your head, or at least realize it's just your opinion. You want better picture quality? Get a superior panel. Saying that a glossy screen makes the picture quality better is almost as silly as saying that 120hz frame insertion makes a movie experience better (hint, it doesn't, and people who think it do don't know what they're talking about).

Last edited:

Yeah, its so much better that all professional monitors have glossy screens. But wait, they don't. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can eliminate reflections almost completely, if you create "sterile" lighting conditions. Alas, you'll be dooming yourself to not letting the naughty, ever-changing sunlight into your working room, but the "better picture" is definitely worth it. :D

@spincut

I took his comments as meaning under proper lighting conditions, a glossy should provide a better picture, all other things being equal. And he's probably correct, as there will be no AG coating altering the image in any way.

Of course not everyone has proper lighting conditions. And in a business environment, that choice probably isn't left up to the user anyway. Not like a person could tell their boss they are shutting all the blinds and changing the lighting fixtures... well, they could, but then they wouldn't be working there very long.

But the choices shouldn't have to be full blown mirror glossy vs heavy AG coating that kills your eyeballs. Semi-glossy or light AG should work just as well, but the options for IPS people is very limited there.

I used to be a die-hard matte person. I would argue with people who preferred glossy. Then I bought an 2009 iMac, which I had for a year. The screen seemed more impressive to me and I became a glossy zealot, arguing with people about the superiority of glossy. But then I slowly over time became a little frustrated with the reflections while watching dark scenes in movies. No matter how carefully I tried to control the lighting. It was virtually any ambient light in the room, even light from the monitor itself reflecting off my light-colored clothes and back on the screen. The reflections also began to irritate me a little when I did photo-editing.

That's when I stopped being evangelical about either matte or glossy. I realized it's all down to personal preference, how you use your monitor, how your room is set up and what you use your computer for. I've been humbled by my experience with different monitors over the past three years, and I would never tell anyone any more that their preference is wrong or stupid.

The ideal Goldilocks solution for me now would be a semi-gloss coating. Either that, or actually having two monitors, one glossy (for office work, web surfing, etc) and the other matte (for movies, photo editing, etc).

Watching a movie in a room with the lights makes no sense.
I don't see the point in putting cheap AG on the Monitors that you can't remove. CTR's were all glossy and if someone needed anti-glare you simply bought it to put on your Monitor.

Last edited:
Not just a window, any light source will render a glossy display pretty much useless. If you're in a dark basement or turn off all the lights then yeah, I agree a glossy display is better. But there's a reason why all offices have matte displays. As for TV's, I hate having to draw the curtains every time it's sunny outside...

To add to your point that glossy displays could be problematic:
Even if you have a perfectly dark room, you will notice the reflections off your face back into any part of the monitor showing black. Particulary if your playing games that may have a dungeon or other dark scene with something bright in the center. (like say skyrim).
Am i right?

It really comes down to preference, the reason companies do not offer a choice is because most of their users do not even have a clue or a preference. As such the few that do just end up going off to the competition. The other option is that the company has already learned most of their users do prefer what they have. Most cases I cannot understand, but with dell it makes sense since they will sell most of their high end panels into businesses they have supply contracts with where they will be used in harsh flourescent lit cubicles.

And correction Outbreaker, glossy displays do not provide better picture quality, you need to get that through your head, or at least realize it's just your opinion. You want better picture quality? Get a superior panel. Saying that a glossy screen makes the picture quality better is almost as silly as saying that 120hz frame insertion makes a movie experience better (hint, it doesn't, and people who think it do don't know what they're talking about).

It's pretty well accepted that there are very noticeable differences in image quality between glossy and harsh antiglare like on LG IPS panels.

When on one display your whites are clear and white, and on the other they're sparkly or grainy, then yes, there is a difference in image quality. Arguing otherwise is... well, stupid.

If you prefer 3H coatings, fine, that's your preference, but suggesting there is no difference in image quality is completely absurd.

IQ is subjective to the viewer. Glossy displays have a better image quality if you do not count the reflection you need to look through. Alot of people can pretty easily allow their brain to sort of ignore the relection. It works for me at least. Also AG coatings do not remove reflection they just diffuse it or take it out of focus. Once again your brain will try to ignore out of focus objects. However you loose clarity of the pixels with this same effect. But then again who says clear pixels are that great anyway? We spend all sorts of processing power trying to introduce fake blur in the form of AA.

So in the end you just have to look at both and decide which problem you hate less then buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back