For PC w/ wired & wireless, can it connect wired to internet but wireless to printer

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Happy Hopping, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

http://superuser.com/questions/3900...ireless-connection-how-is-information-transfe

so I have the same situation as the user of the above link

1 PC connected wirelessly via a wireless card and via RJ-45 to a Linksys wireless router. And either:

i) from the wireless router to the wireless printer
    ii) or from the PC's wireless card to the wireless printer

everything is working. But I want to "change the order of network protocol binding" as below. To make sure the PC is connected to the network via the RJ-45, NOT by wireless:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-order-of-network-protocol-bindings

If I do this, can the PC still talk to the wireless printer? And if not, how would you connect to the network wired, but to the printer wirelessly?

2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

If the wireless printer is connected to the router via wireless, all wired devices can print to it.
    I know the Canon at a clients house works like this as that is how I have it set up.

3. darkphox

darkphox n00b

BLUF: As long as everything is on the same network, you're good.

I have a wireless printer on my network and routinely print from wired and wireless computers. Even devices connected to the network via a second, bridged, router will have no problems.

4. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

it's a HP, usually their software is actually quite good. thanks for the input. I'll find out next week

5. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Oh, I forgot that I also have an Epson Workforce multi function hooked up wirelessly and I can print and scan from the wired machines here in my house.
    So if the canon and epson do it, the hp should.