For PC Blu Ray playback, using DVI to HDMI converter

BigBeef

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking about getting a Blu Ray drive for my computer for just movie playback. My monitors have DVI and HDMI ports but my graphics card (GTX285) only has the DVI ports. I do have a DVI to HDMI converter, so my big question is:

If I use the converter, will it still look the same as if it was directly HDMI to HDMI instead of DVI to HDMI?

I don't know much about this stuff, but AFAIK DVI and HDMI are quite similar, both digital, only difference is HDMI has sound transfer as well, where DVI is video only

Really? Well I guess I could care less about that...I have a separate stereo output for sound. The sound that would transfer through the HDMI cable would come out of the monitor speakers which are junk of course.

Hmm maybe I can win after all.

it will look identical.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Alright. Well the other question I have is, if I can explain it, will it actually look like Blu Ray on these screens? What I mean is, I don't have a Sony Bravia or some sort of HD TV, they're just relatively inexpensive LCD's...I'm wondering if Blu Ray will look the same on my Asus monitors as it would some high priced HD TV?

Last question, would it make sense to just continue using the DVI cables since I don't care about sound?

I have a DVI to HDMI converter on my main monitor in my sig rig and BD playback is flawless. I have optical output to my Z-5500s so the pass through is of no concern to me.

I have a system set up exactly like this. My HD4890 is connected via DVI-HDMI converter to my 40" TV. The sound is connected via optical to my 5.1 receiver. You will need a Blu-Ray player software that supports 5.1 sound and Blu-Ray in order to use this feature. I used Totalmedia 3. Most Blu-Ray drives say they include a player, but be advised that it is usually a basic or trial version that does not support more than 2-channel audio.

Alright. Well the other question I have is, if I can explain it, will it actually look like Blu Ray on these screens? What I mean is, I don't have a Sony Bravia or some sort of HD TV, they're just relatively inexpensive LCD's...I'm wondering if Blu Ray will look the same on my Asus monitors as it would some high priced HD TV?

Last question, would it make sense to just continue using the DVI cables since I don't care about sound?

You will need to get BD playback software, I use ArcSoft Total Media Platinum 3 and it works great. If you have a decent monitor it'll look awesome trust me.

And yeah, if you're not concern about sound DVI will be fine. I actually have my second monitor connected staight DVI, no HDMI converter.

I have a DVI to HDMI converter on my main monitor in my sig rig and BD playback is flawless. I have optical output to my Z-5500s so the pass through is of no concern to me.

How did you set up the optical? I have a similar Logitech 4.1 stereo and my mobo has optical output...I'm curious.

So would the sound be an issue? I use just a standard audio jack from my sound card.

I have a system set up exactly like this. My HD4890 is connected via DVI-HDMI converter to my 40" TV. The sound is connected via optical to my 5.1 receiver. You will need a Blu-Ray player software that supports 5.1 sound and Blu-Ray in order to use this feature. I used Totalmedia 3. Most Blu-Ray drives say they include a player, but be advised that it is usually a basic or trial version that does not support more than 2-channel audio.

Wow, just said the same thing pretty much!

I have had a lot of LITE-ON drives including my BD ROM/Burner and never had a problem. 5 and 4 star ratings on Egg confirm my experience.

I have had a lot of LITE-ON drives including my BD ROM/Burner and never had a problem. 5 and 4 star ratings on Egg confirm my experience.

I love Lite On...I was just a little concerned because Blu Ray technology is still new and I was wondering how reliable these relatively new drives are...of course I only want playback, I think burning Blu Rays is a different question.

I would agree, I have 3 Lite On drives including two 5+ year old IDE drives that only supported certain types of media but I have flashed to support them all. One didn't even burn DVD's...now it does! But yeah those puppies are awesome, I've burned hundreds of CD's and DVD's on them. If it weren't for IDE being such a waste of space I'd probably never get rid of them.

I think the first movies I'll watch are:

Inglorious Basterds
Equilibrium
American Psycho
Batman

Christian Bale is such a bad ass, and since this is Blu Ray, he's double bad ass.

Depending on the contrast ratios, screen quality, and where you are sitting, you might notice a slight difference between the two. However, it will still look like a BD and it will still be 99.9% awesome. ;)

If you don't need sound, DVI is just fine. That's what I use when I want to hook up my 3450 to my 2407WFP monitor.

So what everyone is saying is that I have a 99.9999% chance of producing a wicked set up here.

Iron Man is beautiful on BluRay, as is BBC Planet Earth.

That too. I'm so jacked for the next Iron Man. Did I hear correctly that they were going to combine Iron Man with Hulk? I'm also jacked for the next Batman. I get jacked for a lot of movies. :cool:

Equilibrium is not out on BD yet. just fyi.

i have a 42" via 9400 igp HDMI connected through an Onkyo TX-SR605 for living room viewing. i cant tell a difference in blu-ray playback on my main monitor(37" LG LCD TV via dvi -> hdmi) and my 42" other than the differences in the TVs themselves. it should look fine with the setup you are talking about.

Back