For once a nice looking smartwatch: Moto 360

It doesn't look like a bad size to me. It's smaller than the UBoat and lot more mainstream-looking than other smartwatches.

Too small, this is what a smartwatch should look like.
xaWIV08.jpg

:)

Interest is still strong for this product. Sounds like base price will be ~$300.

moto-360-watch-bands-release-leak-large.jpg

moto-350-watch-bands-adjusted-photo.jpg

A nice non gawdy watch that can act/look like a normal dress watch would be perfect when wearing a suit. My note 3 is too noticeable in my dress pants, so I keep it in my suit coat pocket. That means I have to fish around to get it and have to go to my coat if I set it down.

And although it may be distracting I could see some use for it when Im on my motorcycle.

I have the same problem -- but with something else. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a member of the BPC (big penis club).

But in reality 99.9% of the time I'm totally happy about it!

Damn these sexy tight dress slacks.

Still wonder if smart watches are actually useful or more of a fad. Do normal people really need a $300 device to avoid looking at your phone?

One these approach the price point of a regular watch then I'm interested.

Really depends on how useful it is and if it saves me the hassle of not having to constantly pull the phone out of pocket. I feel if the Moto 360 combines the hands-free voice wake and voice commands of Moto X, Google Now predictive push notifications, etc. along with decent battery life, wireless charging and good looks then it'll be easily be worth ~$300.

If you look at the 360° photo of the watch, you can see that it should be a nearly completely sealed watch with the exception of a little hole on the left, most likely for the microphone, and has some kind of special backplate, most likely for wireless charging and a few more sensors. I believe that it should waterproofed to a certain degree kind of like the Qualcomm Toq.

BTW, if it uses a Mirasol screen, it shouldn't take too much battery power either. The screen being circular should also take less battery due to pushing out less pixels than another screen of similar but rectangular dimensions (draw a circle inside a square).

It won't be water proof... Water resistant to a good depth is possible but don't hold your breath for water proof.

This might be a day 1 purchase for me. I wish Moto gave current news about it.

One (1) grand prize winner will receive a Moto 360 (ARV $249).* Actual suggested retail price at launch may be substantially different.

Notice the second line. It just means they needed to establish an ARV for tax purposes for the winning recipient while the final retail price may not be the same but we can always hope. Definitely going to be device of 2014 with Surface Pro 3 as runner up.

Notice the second line. It just means they needed to establish an ARV for tax purposes for the winning recipient while the final retail price may not be the same but we can always hope. Definitely going to be device of 2014 with Surface Pro 3 as runner up.

Either I'm very tired or that wasn't there when I posted earlier. I should have quoted it. :/
I would still expect it to be < $300.

or i could pick up a casio calculator watch and have a watch that had a battery that lasted 3 years and was not the size of a boat anchor and i would only pay like 20.

Im not much of a watch guy maybe pocket watch but im more likely to just use my phone.

or i could pick up a casio calculator watch and have a watch that had a battery that lasted 3 years and was not the size of a boat anchor and i would only pay like 20.

Im not much of a watch guy maybe pocket watch but im more likely to just use my phone.
that's one hell of a birth control, that's for sure.

I know it's hip to hop on the Samsung is copying bus but this was filed 8/2013 while Moto 360's announcement wasn't until 3/2014. If anything, this just shows that technology is evolved from previous works and such obviousness shouldn't be patentable but this is probably defense against patent trolls that sue and get injunctions for basic obvious shapes.

I know it's hip to hop on the Samsung is copying bus but this was filed 8/2013 while Moto 360's announcement wasn't until 3/2014. If anything, this just shows that technology is evolved from previous works and such obviousness shouldn't be patentable but this is probably defense against patent trolls that sue and get injunctions for basic obvious shapes.
Don't worry. We all know Steve Jobs reinvented the wheel several times. Apple has got patents for all things circular. They would sue for having balls if I ever sell them as a service.

Let's just hope the battery life isn't shit on it. That seems to be the deal breaker with the watches that are already out like the LG.

Let's just hope the battery life isn't shit on it. That seems to be the deal breaker with the watches that are already out like the LG.

I mean how much battery life do you need on a smartwatch? As long as it last a day in any condition I'll be fine with it. As long as the glass isnt brittle like my gear live I'll get it. Never cracked the glass on any electronic device before my gear live that is.

I'm thinking to wait a year because first generation devices typically suck. 2.5 days? Which probably mean 1.25 days in real life... Should we wait for second generation where battery life would be 5 days? Or is even that too much of a dream?

Whatever happened to mirasol displays?!?

I like where Google is headed but the question is can the OEM's and Google get there fast enough to make it worthwhile?

This is the first time a smartwatch has a appealed to me (Pebble and Gear are laughable at best). I love the mock-ups of the interface and the integration with Google Now. Like others have said not having to constantly pull my phone out of my pocket would be a blessing.

I like the fact that Fossil is on board. I currently have a Fossil watch that I love and pair that with a great user experience and usefulness and I'm in.

Bottom line: Android Wear, please please please don't suck.

I hope it's better quality than the rest of Fossil's lineup..

I'm thinking to wait a year because first generation devices typically suck. 2.5 days? Which probably mean 1.25 days in real life... Should we wait for second generation where battery life would be 5 days? Or is even that too much of a dream?

Whatever happened to mirasol displays?!?

My understanding, based on talking to someone in the smartwatch biz, is that Mirasol is still too expensive right now. Which makes sense -- you can't buy the Qualcomm Toq any more (that I can see), and it wasn't cheap to start with. For now, you're looking at either e-paper or a conventional mobile display.

I'm watching this one. I like that it has a heart rate sensor, but previous devices that used that tech on the wrist had issues with sweating. It'll be interesting if they improved on those designs. Otherwise, I hope it includes the ability to Bluetooth to a chest strap. It could replace my Polar Loop if it did.

From what I've read it comes with wireless charging, sapphire glass (4x[?] harder than Gorilla), and is standalone so it doesn't necessarily need a phone paired to it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LG G Watch R, a full rounded watch without that nasty bottom bezel like in the Moto 360, has just been teased for IFA next week. The announcement will be made a few hours after Moto 360 goes live.

Images of the G Watch R from the teaser video. It looks like it trades the bottom bezel for a bigger, all-around bezel. I wonder if it'll have a brightness sensor, like the Moto 360. That could make a big difference in battery life.

That is so fuckin' ugly/gaudy. Did LG have Swatch take over the design or something?

It looks good (very watch-like :D), but I want to see pictures of the actual GWAR. From the renders, it's really hard to tell that there's a screen in there.

Also, I want to know if it has an ambient light sensor. That could make a difference in battery life and fiddling with the brightness manually would be annoying.

Back