For laughs, found an OLD one

narsbars

2[H]4U
Digging through junk drawers and found an SSD I pulled from a "gaming laptop" and forgot. I don't ever remember SSD SATA 2 drives. It still works.

I'm still running an OCZ SATA drive. It's 10 years of if I recall correctly.

I've had 2 vertex 2's just die on me, never even came close to wearing out, they just each stopped showing up one day.
My first SSD was one of these. Worked just fine until sections of the Windows control panel completely disappeared. I got to watch as folders and files became inaccessible in real time. RMA'd it for a Vertex3 and sold that immediately with an acknowledgement to the buyer that it was a replacement for one that straight up killed itself. Shortly after that the company got bought out.

My first SSD was one of these. Worked just fine until sections of the Windows control panel completely disappeared. I got to watch as folders and files became inaccessible in real time. RMA'd it for a Vertex3 and sold that immediately with an acknowledgement to the buyer that it was a replacement for one that straight up killed itself. Shortly after that the company got bought out.

It is sad they took PC Power&Cooling with them when they went under though. Although truth to be told they were not making nearly as good PSUs near the end of OCZ.

My first SSD was an OCZ Agility SATA 2 drive, and was one of the first models to utilize TRIM.
Heh, the PS3 cluster in my sig are all still running SATA 2 SSDs to this day.

Tested without software in a spare pc and it is still noticeably faster than a SATA 3 7200rpm spinny.

Yup back in the day upgraded many SATA II laptops and PCs with SATA III SSDs and no one ever asked to go back to the 5400rpm or 7200rpm mech.

I had a pair of OCZ SSD's in RAID 0 for the Core i7 920 system I built many years ago. I believe they were among the first consumer SSD's on the market. I later got a REVO X2 for the system.

I still have the famous Intel X25E 64GB SLC 50nm drive in my DOS/Windows98 machine. I use a SATA-IDE converter. It's perfect for it. Will last a long time, is fast enough for IDE, doesn't support trim (since the OS doesn't either).

Sata 2 drive. Still works. 👍

1648914043338.png

I've had 2 vertex 2's just die on me, never even came close to wearing out, they just each stopped showing up one day.
All of my sandforce controller drives from that era have all died, and yeah, none had much wear. Brand didn't really matter. Kingston, OCZ, etc. The common theme was the sandforce controller. However, they lasted the useful 'life' of those systems anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Was running a OCZ 60GB in my pfsense box until last week when I switched it out to something more modern (Haswell) using a flash drive for boot.

Still rocking a OCZ 120GB in my primary zoneminder box for an OS drive. Still running flawlessly all these years down the road.

Back