For HTPC, which is a better OS to use, XP or Vista?

I used xp 2005 MCE for a couple years and then made the move to vista MCE when I upgraded my HTPC a few weeks ago, I would say I much prefer Vista to XP

Why is it better? Is it because of the better interface..or smoother framerate, etc..?

Vista is more resource intensive, but you do get access to DX10 and some other goodies. If it is strictly a HTPC, I'd go with one of the linux distros like ubuntu running MythTV as a front end. It's free, less of a resource hog, and overall makes a better HTPC. If it's being used as a PC hooked to your HT, then Windows is the way to go. If you have an XP license, I'd stick with it, but if building from scratch Vista is really the way to go.

Looks nicer, I like the design and layout of the interface better. more responsive (no pauses after pressing buttons). I also like the management of music and pictures better.

I would also recommend getting my movies if you plan to archive movies and DVDs.

Vista Home Premium includes MCE which is pretty nice and i believe has more capabilities than XP MCE.

Vista Media Center looks and feels really nice, so I'd say Vista.

Vista MCE runs a lot nicer from what I have seen in limited using of it vs. MCE 2k5.

Back