For how long have you had your oldest SSD drive?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys....

This is just to give me a general idea of how long ssd's last. I know there are many variables but let's just do it. It will of course depend on your usage. I have had many mechanical drives fail, but some of them lasted close to 11 years! I want to know if ssd's can last that long. One of my 4TB HDD's failed recently and I want to replace it. It just failed without warnings and I really hate it when this happens. I'm wandering if I should replace it with an SSD. SSD's are at least immune to shocks.

Me? I haven't had any ssd fail on me yet. My oldest is a 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro. I bought it shortly after it was released. So, let's say it is about 7 years old. I did have older ones but I sold them so I don't know what happened to them.

Anybody with an ssd from the time when they became a thing for desktops....(I don't remember when that was, 2008 probably). I need a history lesson!

Thanks.

Last edited:
My 10-year-old 64GB Crucial m4 is still running on my home server (os and applications installed).

My 128 GB SSD on mmy HTPC (same make and model) is running after 9 years.

my Intel 160GB SSD was retired after 5 years. Its replacement is a Crucial 525GB TLC SSD (still running after 4 years.)

In my experience, SSDs last a bit longer than hard drives (I try to replace my hard drives after 8 years or so, and haven't had one die on me in-use anytime recently)

One exception where SSDs destroy hard drives in reliability is laptops - those are torture chambers for moving parts.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have a Crucial M4 (256 GB) that goes back to Sept. 2012, though it doesn't get any real use now that the MBP it was in died. The other M4 I bought at the same time (512 GB) that was in my desktop died ~4 years ago and was RMAed, but that unit died last year (replaced by a Samsung 860 Evo). I also have a couple of the Crucial M500 from ~2014 still kicking around in light duty.

Is the system with the dead HDD moved around a lot or susceptible to some other relevant environmental factor? If not, I wouldn't worry about the shock resistance of HDD vs. SSD. Your usage patterns should weigh far more heavily in determining which to get. A 4 TB SSD is going to be awfully pricey.

Yep, I have a 64GB Samsung one from 2008 and it still works. Good thing considering it cost $1k at the time since only SLC was available back then.

i still have 2 ocz vertex 3 60GB from '11 that work fine, have 95% life left.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
My Crucial 512GB m4 SSD from June 2012 is still running fine first as my primary system drive until 2018 and is now installed in a secondary system that is turned on and Folding@Home most of the time these days.
1586822540295.png

Ignore the 94 day estimated lifetime remaining. HD Sentinel rarely gets run on this system and so it has no history/clue on how much time is actually left on the drive. It's got years of life left.
1586822777973.png

I believe I have had my Intel G1 X25 for 11 years but it's been on a shelf for probably 1/2 of that because of its small size.

This is just to give me a general idea of how long ssd's last. I know there are many variables but let's just do it. It will of course depend on your usage. I have had many mechanical drives fail, but some of them lasted close to 11 years! I want to know if ssd's can last that long. One of my 4TB HDD's failed recently and I want to replace it. It just failed without warnings and I really hate it when this happens. I'm wandering if I should replace it with an SSD. SSD's are at least immune to shocks.

Remember any drive can fail at any time regardless of your usage and expectations. It does not matter if its an enterprise drive or how much you pay for it. They all have a chance of failure that is not due to wear.

Last edited:
I've had the 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS (I paid extra specifically for older flash!) as my main system drive for 8 years, no problems. Put a "questionable" Agility 3 240GB as the main drive of my work computer, that one is still going, too, and had one hiccup due to a bad data cable, but the drive never corrupted.

The Vertex is backed up weekly, and so was the Agility while the system was in its main role (now it's just a Boinc machine). I remember when bugs in firmware meant we were on the edge wondering if today was the day the drive hit the magic value and died. Actually happened to my Seagate 7200.11 right after warranty (what a fiasco that series was, and they still fixed it). And then updating that firmware and hoping the data were still there, afterwards.

I suppose quite a few of us can now attest to the longevity of the 7-year old Fusion-io ioScale drives ;)

The oldest SSD that I personally have in operation is a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro. The older drives I had, a few 80GB Intel X25-M G2 drives, got passed down to computers of friends and family. As far as I know, they are still in operation.

WD Blue manufactured in 2010 (SiliconEdge) - I think that era (2010-2012) was the first heydey for storage guys like me when it came to SSDs.

I have a Crucial M4 (256 GB) that goes back to Sept. 2012, though it doesn't get any real use now that the MBP it was in died. The other M4 I bought at the same time (512 GB) that was in my desktop died ~4 years ago and was RMAed, but that unit died last year (replaced by a Samsung 860 Evo). I also have a couple of the Crucial M500 from ~2014 still kicking around in light duty.

Is the system with the dead HDD moved around a lot or susceptible to some other relevant environmental factor? If not, I wouldn't worry about the shock resistance of HDD vs. SSD. Your usage patterns should weigh far more heavily in determining which to get. A 4 TB SSD is going to be awfully pricey.

Not like it is moving all the time. It is actually stationary most of the time but it can move when the maid cleans around the pc and when I move it to clean dust out of it. I was planning to replace it with 1TB SSD. I know 4TB SSD will be too much. I didn't utilize all its space when it was working. It was mostly virtual machines files and test files. I will probably need about half terabyte for the VM's. This is actually why I'm hating it. I have to rebuild every VM I lost.
Yep, I have a 64GB Samsung one from 2008 and it still works. Good thing considering it cost $1k at the time since only SLC was available back then.

WOW, that is remarkable. It is about 12 years. Hopefully my ssd's will never fail. Hopefully only after I have no real use for them.

Something to consider if you're worried about failures. Hard drives tend to give warnings. Bad sectors, ticking, etc...SSDs just disappear.

It was in my secondary machine, so it wasn't like I was testing it for bad sectors every now and then, but this HDD just disappeared out of the blue. But, you are right. Almost every HDD that failed with me had symptoms before that.

Last edited:
840 Pro 256 like you OP, for ~8 years. Smallest drive in my PC and it is still my windows drive. I was late to buying into SSDs because of how expensive they were and was waiting for the tech to mature. It seems to me that that is how long they last on average. I had 2 WD black 1tb mech drives that were 7-8 years old that I sold a while back.

This 840 pro will soon be replaced by a 2tb nvme once I decide to get one. I think near the end of this year I'll buy, or if there are some solid deals around this virus outbreak.

Not like it is moving all the time. It is actually stationary most of the time but it can move when the maid cleans around the pc and when I move it to clean dust out of it. I was planning to replace it with 1TB SSD. I know 4TB SSD will be too much. I didn't utilize all its space when it was working. It was mostly virtual machines files and test files. I will probably need about half terabyte for the VM's. This is actually why I'm hating it. I have to rebuild every VM I lost.

Yeah, VM storage is a very good argument for a SSD over HDD. Though maybe also buy an additional HDD to use for backups?

Though I doubt that regular cleaning around the PC was what killed the HDD. It was probably just its time.

overall SSDs are many times more reliable then a HDD, only down side with a SSD is they work they are great or they don't, it's the don't part that is the problem don't trust that your drive will go into read only mode 5 the SSDs i have had fail have disappeared for good other 2 random blocks of data got unreadable Sandisk plus cheap ssd (in an annoying way, ECC infinite read fail ECC read retry loop on the block that couldn't be read instead of just returning CRC read fail after 5 goes like a HDD does), ideally if you have a HDD you can auto backup your files or/and the whole drive as a image so total drive failure is not as much a problem

You know what guys, I can get an open box or slightly used mainstream ssd for a good price off ebay for example. One thing I hate about HDD's is that DOA may happen and I hate to go through the return process. At least with ssd's you know there is a slim chance this could happen if the ssd was tested successfully.

Never used or owned one before, do I win?
:p
I'm probably going to crap my pants once I get my new laptop, going to skip the SATA 3 SSD and go for the nvme ones. Used to 7,200 and 5,400rpm spinners and their glorious 100MB r/w.....

I've got an old 64GB Corsair drive and some old 150GB Intel drives that all still work.

I have two 80GB Intel X25m g2 SSDs that were in a RAID 0 for me back in 2009-2010 that are now OS drives in family computers. Still chugging along.

I’ve got 4x intel x25-e 64gb drives still alive. They were originally used in 2009 in Raid0 to PoC SSD dB performance, then moved over time to different systems. 2 now live in my freenas box, and 2 live in Linux boxes for /

My first purchased SSD in 2008 or 2009 was a 60GB OCZ Vertex. The original. Still have it today and still works wonderfully. Also have a Vertex 2, 3 and many other SSDs all working well. Out of the 12 or so I've purchased for personal use, I've only had 1 fail. It was a PNY drive I got from Best Buy.

I have an 830 that was bought in 2012 when I built this rig, 10431GB Total Host Writes, 25529 Total Hours, 6041 Power ON Count

Had a 64GB Crucial M225 only last 2 years before it gave up the ghost, no errors or anything suggesting it was going to go. They RMA'd it and I have that laying somewhere, no idea if it still works.

The only SSD I've killed due to use is a Crucial M4 256 GB mSATA, took a little over 5 years, lasted from 2012 to 2017 as my boot drive in a Plex server before I started getting SMART errors.

The OCZ Vertex's, OCZ Agility's and Kingston SSDNow V Series are all still working and they're all over 10 years old though. Still waiting on the rebate checks for those OCZs though.

This is a good thread as I've been curious about this as well. I've not yet had an SSD fail since my first in 2013 but I have been swapping my SSD and HDD out after a few years since I do a lot of video editing.
My 1991 Seagate HDD is still working in my 386. The only HDD I've every had fail (I own about 21) is one in my 1999 edit system that started malfunctioning and then died a few minutes later.

While I posted that I have some long lived SSDs, I also have a pile of 4 dead OCZ vertex 1s. I don’t think they liked running in RAID5 to be honest.

the OCZ vertex was a disaster of a SSD (was not the only bad ones from OCZ, they make china china SSDs look good)

Me? I haven't had any ssd fail on me yet. My oldest is a 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro. I bought it shortly after it was released. So, let's say it is about 7 years old. I did have older ones but I sold them so I don't know what happened to them.

Anybody with an ssd from the time when they became a thing for desktops....(I don't remember when that was, 2008 probably). I need a history lesson!
Thanks.

I have one too.

the OCZ vertex was a disaster of a SSD (was not the only bad ones from OCZ, they make china china SSDs look good)

WTF. I had one fail on me too.

Yeah, Vertex first-generation is the only SSD I've owned that failed on me. That's why I ditched OCZ (even after Toshiba bought the brand)

Toshiba sent me a new drive AFTER UPS lost the RMA package. I'll give them that. Customer service was excellent.

i always hate reading about that one ssd failure some guy gets after 1 year of ownership, and hope I'm not that guy.

Most people have no problems.

I only jumped into the ssd game in the last 6 months, my first purchase being a 970 evo+ nvme.
and I just bought a WD blue sata.

I've had a significant number of 2.5" hdd's go bad, and I'm not a heavy user.....
One hitachi from a 2004 dell laptop completely died.
A seagate had a cluster of unfixable bad sectors that I just quarantined in its own unused partition,
and recently a toshiba that had bad sectors in the OS partition that caused it to hang hard, which I also quarantined in its own partition.

I still have my original maxtor and seagate hdds from 1999.

So 5 good laptop hdds so far, and 3 bad. is a pretty bad ratio.

I hope I have good luck with the samsung and WD SSDs.

850 pro 256GB - 14 TB writes for 47k power on hours.
M500 960GB - 3 TB writes (lol) for 54k power on hours. This is my Steam drive...that is now a glorified back log device.

I consolidated my old HDDs, so now it's just a 4TB and 6TB. Both are younger than my SSDs though.

i always hate reading about that one ssd failure some guy gets after 1 year of ownership, and hope I'm not that guy.

I only jumped into the ssd game in the last 6 months, my first purchase being a 970 evo+ nvme.

I've had a significant number of 2.5" hdd's go bad, and I'm not a heavy user.....
A seagate had a cluster of unfixable bad sectors that I just quarantined in its own unused partition,
and recently a toshiba that had bad sectors in the OS partition that caused it to hang hard, which I also quarantined in its own partition.

I hate it as well. It is one of the things I didn't want to see in this thread.

These kind of failure rates happen when you have such a small sample size. I would not expect 3000 early (in less than 5 years) failed laptop drives if you had 8000 units.

Back