For Honor Exploit Spoils Tournament and Riles Its Community

monkeymagick

[H]News
This past weekend Ubisoft held a tournament with a prize pool of $10,000. To the chagrin of many competitors and the community, the winner used a well known exploit. He even detailed the exploit a month before entering the tournament. By using an "unlock tech," a skilled player can make the Nobushi class unbeatable due to the fact that it creates an attack that cannot be blocked and parried.

For those unfamiliar with the game system, it works on an advanced form of rock-papers-scissors and basically turns into scissors beating everything. Of course, this isn't the first nor will it be the last time a community has to deal with exploits at high-level play.

"I didn't think it would be this easy," Palen said.

"This is a downright embarrassment for the For Honor community," says the author. "These issues are by no means recent issues, and have been of heavy contention the past few weeks leading up to this tournament in community discussion."

There are a few similar games I play online and due to my long gaming history and running UT99/MC servers I can spot hackers/cheaters pretty quickly and I do my best to report them. I also try to become familiar with known exploits so I can look for players using them.

Sadly even when said people are reported to the developers nothing happens to them even with video proof of their misdeeds. The bugs that lead to these problems can go 8-12 months unfixed if they are even fixed at all.

Tell the developers about hacks or show them YT proof of concept? They don't care. To make matters worse the games lack any sort of moderators or battle observers while players are fighting so rather than fix the problem the developers instead spend their time on selling power ups (P2W) and cosmetics and figuring out more ways to get players to spend cash.

They don't seem to care that a good number of other players give up which in the long run potentially causes the developers to lose great revenue potential. I don't want to spend money on a game that is full of hackers and cheaters using exploits to win. Makes it pretty frustrating for someone like me who wishes to compete fairly to even engage in these games and I tend to move on if nothing is done.

exactly...why didn't they disqualify him after finding out?

It appears this is more of a timing issue in the game than an actual cheat. Even the developers said

Ubisoft Montreal promises a fix to thwart “unintended behavior”

Which at that point not really a cheat, It's like in super smash brothers where you time certain actions to slip between frames, Well known behavior in the fighting communities so I doubt the action itself rises to "exploit" level.

He just happens to be a douche :whistle:

You do realize he detailed the exploit publicly before even entering the tournament, and even proposed possible fixes to it. How is it his fault it didn't get fixed? If someone says "break into this safe as fast as you can" and we will give you $10k, and someone came along a month beforehand and wrote the combination on the front, would you just ignore it?

Wanna blame someone? blame the game company who sat on it's ass and did nothing while this knowledge was out there even when people are trying to propose fixes.

You do realize he detailed the exploit publicly before even entering the tournament, and even proposed possible fixes to it. How is it his fault it didn't get fixed? If someone says "break into this safe as fast as you can" and we will give you $10k, and someone came along a month beforehand and wrote the combination on the front, would you just ignore it?

Wanna blame someone? blame the game company who sat on it's ass and did nothing while this knowledge was out there even when people are trying to propose fixes.

whoa whoa there, cool it with those detailed metaphors and scenarios. The guy is a douche in general, not because of leveraging an exploit.

whoa whoa there, cool it with those detailed metaphors and scenarios. The guy is a douche in general, not because of leveraging an exploit.
or you know... maybe if Ubisoft wasn't so lazy and invested time into maintaining their launched games...

Ubisoft is well known for poorly maintaining their games.
They launch game in a broken state, patch so that the game doesn't crash, but then they never bother patching exploits, because who cares, they already have your money.
Lots of "big" titles that are well advertised, but turn out to be utter crap. For Honor included.

I find it hilarious in general that companies would put this amount of money on the line in a game with unmoderated peer-to-peer multiplayer. This probably would not have been an issue with dedicated servers.

After reading the instructions this appears to be a combination of taking advantage of piss poor programming and using great timing, reading your enemies position which is required in traditional fighting games such as Street Fighter.

Back