For fun/learnings: Blog post about rooting a tablet

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
I saw this (before mods on r/Android nuked the post for being "too technical") and figured the techies here might enjoy a long somewhat-technical read as to how one fellow overcame his Asus tablet with no available root/TWRP and rooted it...even though it had an unlockable bootloader and could execute fastboot commands...

Freeing my tablet (Android hacking, SW and HW)

Fans of oscilloscopes and breadboard....yes, that is where this is going...

Wow, that sub-Reddit must be terribly moderated if this is "too technical" to exist there. This is a delightful read, as [H] as it gets, and it nicely highlights the kind of crap you get to deal with on Android devices that have next to no support on xda-developers.

I need to send this guy a Cintiq Companion Hybrid and see if he can get a custom recovery and ROM on that thing with no working fastboot mode, the most useless stock recovery ever, and no OEM APX/Nvflash images to use in the event of a brick. Yes, you get to put up with all that and no official updates past the original 4.2.1 Jelly Bean it shipped with for the $1,300+ these things initially sold for, would you believe that?

I only managed to root mine thanks to towelroot, and specifically the v1 release at that (v3 doesn't work).

Back