For folks with Zune HD over 4 months......

Bahamut

n00b
Used to have a 2GB card but I got a fantastic deal on that 16GB SD card in the past ($20 for it brand new at a time when those cards had just hit the market and were going for over $200 - was at a trade show) so that's what I've using for close to 2 years now, never had an issue with it.

It's more than enough, and if I do get that Archos 43 I'll probably just spring for the 8GB model and get a 16GB microSD card for that one too, maybe an 8GB and be done with it - 16GB is plenty for me since I rotate through stuff so much.

That Archos 43 just looks better to me by the minute I swear... :D

Jaerb4

Gawd
I'm just curious, but why does one need more than 16GB of music on their player @ one time?

Because I don't know what I'm going to want to listen to when I'm going to want to listen to it. :p

I've come to realize though that it's just not practical anymore, so I should settle for 32+ and make it work. So far, the J3 is pretty amazing. The Zune sound quality is good, especially compared to an iPod, but it doesn't come close to Cowon's quality + having an EQ. That last part really makes a huge difference.

Jerome36

2[H]4U
I have my entire music collection on my 32GB Zune, but I'm lucky enough to only have around 14 to 15GB of music. I like to listen to different types of music, depending on what I'm doing. For example, I listen to completely different music when I'm at the gym, then when I'm working. I don't feel like syncing new music to my Zune every day, simply because I've finished working and now I want to go work out. I could, if I had to, but it's MUCH more convenient to have enough storage to hold all your music and have that music ready to go depending on the situation.

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
No regrets with mine. I used it quite a bit when going back and forth to school (1 1/2 hour drive from my home town to the school). My cassette player thingy I used to connect the Zune to my old truck stopped working. I've been too cheap since to bother to go and get a new one. Zune pass is great too. I'm not one for apps when I'm driving, so the iPod didn't appeal to me.

NickJames

Supreme [H]ardness
I had the 2nd gen Zune 80GB for 2 years and my current Zune HD for almost a year and loved both devices, amazing players with incredibly battery life. Just recently bought the Zune pass and it just brings out the full potential in it. With my Samsung Epic in my pocket constantly blasting a wifi hotspot, I have unlimited music on my Zune anywhere I am. It's an incredible little device and wouldn't trade it for anything else, except maybe a newer model Zune.

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
Used to have a 2GB card but I got a fantastic deal on that 16GB SD card in the past ($20 for it brand new at a time when those cards had just hit the market and were going for over $200 - was at a trade show) so that's what I've using for close to 2 years now, never had an issue with it.

It's more than enough, and if I do get that Archos 43 I'll probably just spring for the 8GB model and get a 16GB microSD card for that one too, maybe an 8GB and be done with it - 16GB is plenty for me since I rotate through stuff so much.

That Archos 43 just looks better to me by the minute I swear... :D

The worst part about the Archos 43 is that it isn't an Archos 3. What I mean to say is that I really wish the Archos 3 had a microSD slot or something because if it did I would have bought one already. The Archos 43 is just too big for my use, but the Archos 3 is perfect. Not having expandable storage though kills it for me.

I bought mine a year ago. Its pricey but I like what you can do with it. All the apps that really matter are on it and they are all free. The fact that the Zune media program is so easy to use and efficient is a pretty big reason to get a Zune. As it stands I think the Zune HD is the way to go. If you are on a budget, you could pick up the small second generation Zune. If you have the money to spend you get a lot more out of the Zune HD than the second generation Zune.

NickJames

Supreme [H]ardness
Sure wish my Fascinate had a Zune app. :(

What do you mean? I am just using Sprint's Hotspot app to turn my phone into a wireless hotspot for nearby devices to connect to. From there I just connect with the Zune to the network and use the marketplace.

Bahamut

n00b
I think he means he wished the Fascinate has a Zune app, exactly what he stated, since even on Windows Phone 7 the Zune functionality is just that: basically an app for audio/video playback and of course Zune marketplace/Zune Pass functionality.

Fat chance of Microsoft producing such an app for the competition's mobile OSes and phones, however.

Jodiuh

Supreme [H]ardness
Cause they're bullies!
1359_infuriated_f_you_smiley.gif

m0rn

Limp Gawd
Was thinking about picking up a Zune. I recently got a new job that requires me to be in the subway for 2 hours worth of travel time each day.

Unfortunately my Ipod 5th gen headphone jack is all jacked up. So I've been looking for a replacement. I don't think I want to go with another Ipod. Between me and my ex we've been through maybe 6 Ipods in a couple years.

Anyways, I see a lot of love for the Zune pass. I'm kind of iffy on spending 15 dollars a month for it, so my question is. Without Zune Pass is it worth getting a Zune HD? From the sound of it, it's worth the 15 dollar admission price.

I should also add that the Zune HD have gone through a huge price cut for the holiday season. It's actually cheaper than the Ipod 6th gen Nano when considering capacity.

phide

Fully [H]
Definitely an area of lacking support. I'd like to see more car integration but I do not see that happening ever.
Ford's SYNC works quite well with it, though it's curiously more prone to problems than my iPhone, for some reason (SYNC is a Microsoft product at its heart). These days, I'm just using Bluetooth streaming in the car via the phone which I find works quite well.

I think automakers might have a greater incentive to support the Zune if MS were to come out with a new model, but I can understand their hesitance in relaasing an updated model given the current market.

My opinion is that it's an amazing player with a ton of potential, but no one cares to capitalize on that potential. I actually abandoned my HD to use an ancient Sansa e260 with rockbox on it.

The sansa can be a volume knob and mouse for the PC.
Why can't the zune?

The sansa has changeable themes.
Why doesn't the zune?

The sansa battery can last for more than a day.
Why can't the zune?

The sansa has games.
Why doesn't the zune?

There's a huge list of things that make my Sansa a great addition my every day carry, whereas the zune is not. At the end of the day, this beautiful PMP is far less functional than an aging, ugly, Sansa.

novadaemon

Gawd
My opinion is that it's an amazing player with a ton of potential, but no one cares to capitalize on that potential. I actually abandoned my HD to use an ancient Sansa e260 with rockbox on it.

The sansa can be a volume knob and mouse for the PC.
Why can't the zune?

The sansa has changeable themes.
Why doesn't the zune?

The sansa battery can last for more than a day.
Why can't the zune?

The sansa has games.
Why doesn't the zune?

There's a huge list of things that make my Sansa a great addition my every day carry, whereas the zune is not. At the end of the day, this beautiful PMP is far less functional than an aging, ugly, Sansa.

As a Zune HD owner and a Sansa e250 owner this post is ridiculous.

1. That's supported because of rockbox. The sansa alone can't do that. It's up to the rockbox dev team to support the zune. Also, as nice as that feature is, it has very limited applications. Even the remote function has to be tethered by a wire so it's kind of useless.

2. The Sansa does not have easily changeable themes. Rockbox has changeable themes. If you want to change the theme of the sansa default firmware then you musty load a modified firmware with a single different theme, but each time you want to change the theme you have to install a different firmware. At least you can change background pics and such with the Zune.

3. Screen size, processor power, wifi, etc are the reasons why the battery doesn't last as long as the sansa. The sansa can't do much. I get similar music playtime from my sansa as I do my Zune when I keep the screen off and the volume at the same level.

4. I think you are trolling me. I admit I'm being trolled.... Microsoft has released 27 FREE games for the zune so far from both small developers and major studios. They also have an SDK that lets you install third party games that are not on the marketplace. Rockbox's games on the sansa are subpar except for their Doom port and their bejeweled clone. Their Gameboy emulator sucks on the sansa.

cypress

n00b
I love my ZUNE. i've had it for over a year now and the Zune pass is welllll worth it!

NeoMatriX724

Limp Gawd
The hell are you doing that your Zune runs out of battery so quickly? I charge mine maybe twice a week and I listen to it at work all day and it works ridiculously well.

I'm gonna retire the ZuneHD if WinPhone 7 gets a decent lineup on Verizon. The big thing about the Zune is the sound quality is still somewhat better than the iPod's etc.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Yeah, I'm waiting on Verizon's W7P myself and will retire my three year old Zune 80 GB when they do come online at Verizon.