For firmware hugs on motherboard: What's a more common practice: reset to Factory default or flash to the latest version?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
So I was working on an old Gigabyte motherboard that has a firmware bug: Everything works fine, but when I install a video card instead of using the embedded video card on the motherboard, I set the video detection priority to PCI-E. And once I did that, the PC USB port stop detected by the motherboard. I have to do a hard reboot. Soft windows 10 re-boot doesn't recognize any of the USB ports

I can reset everything to factory default

or flash to the latest version of the firmware

this motherboard is a no. of yr. old, so flash to the latest should be very stable w/ very little bugs

what do you guys normally do? what's the most common practice? Off hand, there is an old saying that I have: when something works, don't touch it. So I'm tempted to reset to factory default, if it still has bugs, then upgrade to the latest firmware. But I want to hear you people's opinions

I just update, the bios update usually resets everything to default anyway and I have to reconfigure everything.

Might as well try a reset. Then update. A small effort for a possible fix. FW update isn't a huge effort, but it's certainly been more involved on my boards than just a reset. And maybe don't update to the very latest FW, immediately. It's good practice, and sometimes a requirement to only jump a version or two at a time.

update:
1) strangely, the PC automatically switch back that setting of PCI E as priority back to Auto, so the good news is, the PC no longer has the above issue. So it can see the USB port just fine.
2) the BIOS shows the USB 2.0 controller is disable, so I switch it back to enable
3) But now, he claims that the PC just shut down by itself once. I never seen that before. The BIOS is at F12, 2012 date, but I don't know even if I flash to F14 will make a difference. There is no reason a PC will just shut down unless the motherboard is defective

I always flash the latest version, then apply optimal settings, then tweak as needed. Good luck.

I just update, the bios update usually resets everything to default anyway and I have to reconfigure everything.
So how do you record your BIOS settings before you flash? Is there any way to save these settings and then reapply them after flashing?

So how do you record your BIOS settings before you flash? Is there any way to save these settings and then reapply them after flashing?
I tried saving the settings but the last time I did and try to load them back it refused to load them because the bios was now a newer version.

Now days I just take pictures on my phone and put them back in.

In the early days when I start IT, we can only hand write down the setting. There is no camera or phone

I just got my MSI B550 back today out on loan and needed about 1 year to get bios current for a RX6600 install, flash

Back