For anyone that hasn't played Bioshock

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
It's selling for $29.99 at many outlets these days. Anyway, I wanted to pick this up based on all the forum hub-bub and good reviews it got earlier, but couldn't justify the $49.99 price tag for a SP only game. So far, it's definitely worth it. Great fun that I missed out on.

Hm, I thought about picking it up on Steam now that the price has dropped. But does it play nice with Vista Ultimate x64? I remember it had shitload of technical issues when it launched, did the patch fix everything?

If your an FPS fan and haven't played this yet, your really missing out.

Just bought it and beat it this weekend, really good game.

Is there different endings? I saved all the little sisters.

Yes works fine on vista 64 and purchased through steam

Didnt see a securom entry in registry for it

black_b[ ]x;1032258970 said:
does it still install secureROM or whatever it is?

Yes it does, which enforces install limits.

It still has problems with vista x64. The problems are with the sound not working properly. It shuts off during the menu screens. It is easily fixed by running the program in XP mode. Which doesn't affect anything as far as I could tell. Still runs DX10 mode fine.

Runs fine in vista x64 for me, but honestly, not that fun of a game IMHO. I heard all these great reviews about it but I'm just not having a good time playing it really. The graphics are amazing, and the story is pretty cool. I just get bored with it easily.

Yeah I thought it was so so...
Was watchin my buddy playin and thought it was kinda cool...

I installed it and played for like 30 mins - 1hour:
-graphics are ok (nothing fantastic)
-Gameplay seems to be very repetitive
-Story is supposedly very good (what do I know, I just played for like an hour).

Voila :)

played it =] got the trainer though f or times i didnt want to die lol. Fun game, but scary.. well its scary in a freaky way. With the trainer it not as scary because you can go on a god mode ownage journey.

I wish this game would have not been a shooter, but rather an exploration adventure game in that wonderful world of Rapture.

Spending my time fighting silly flying helicopter robots and big daddys and what not over and over again is tiresome and ruins the mood and pure joy of exploring such a world.

Yeah I looked into it, the endings were pretty shitty.

I loved killing the bad daddies though, I probably killed every single one I came across. More variety would of been nice. They didnt get progressively harder either.

I'm running it on Home Premium x64 and it works fine, no problems. If it wasn't for the story I wouldn't bother with the game.

Just started a couple days ago on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, no problem so far. I'm impressed with the atmosphere/environment of this game, especially the water effect. The story seems interesting and the tape diaries are creepy as hell. Hope it stays this high quality through out the game.

Just started a couple days ago on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, no problem so far. I'm impressed with the atmosphere/environment of this game, especially the water effect. The story seems interesting and the tape diaries are creepy as hell. Hope it stays this high quality through out the game.

How does gears of war run on your comp? Been meaning to get it but I hate swapping discs and looking for a downloadable solution.

How does gears of war run on your comp? Been meaning to get it but I hate swapping discs and looking for a downloadable solution.

Runs great with all the settings on high with DX10 and AA. But I'm only running it at 1280x1024, not sure how well it'll run on your 24".

why the shit do them put it in steam. i mean wtf.

Their justification was that SecuROM exists in any PC version, to protect console sales. This was said by Martin Slater, the lead developer for 2K Australia that worked on the PC version. He called PC Gamers "funny", because they complained about such measures and he also confirmed that similar measures will be used in their future games. And if you read the whole interview, he even said that they spent a lot of time trying to make a PC Game and not a console port, which, if you played the game, you'll know they failed miserably. From "soup like" textures, to glowing objects and objectives, not to mention the lack of an inventory screen...Definitely a PC Game...:rolleyes:

Runs great with all the settings on high with DX10 and AA. But I'm only running it at 1280x1024, not sure how well it'll run on your 24".

How is Bioshock? It runs fine on my system and would be comparable because they use the same engine.

why the shit do them put it in steam. i mean wtf.

Every game should just be on steam, if it wasnt for steam I bet you there would be a lot more pirating going on.

I am pretty sick of drm especially securom and not working in 64 bit.

I purchased command and conquer 3 on EA download manager. I wasnt too happy when I came up with a licensing error. After 2 months of tech support they could only say not compatible with vista 64.

So I went ahead and bought a physical copy, and sure enough it installed and worked fine. Im not sure whether who won, me because I finally got it to work, or them for me having to buy an extra copy.

Boycott EA

Every game should just be on steam, if it wasnt for steam I bet you there would be a lot more pirating going on.

I am pretty sick of drm especially securom and not working in 64 bit.

I purchased command and conquer 3 on EA download manager. I wasnt too happy when I came up with a licensing error. After 2 months of tech support they could only say not compatible with vista 64.

So I went ahead and bought a physical copy, and sure enough it installed and worked fine. Im not sure whether who won, me because I finally got it to work, or them for me having to buy an extra copy.

Boycott EA

I can't believe you actually bought a second copy...

Ran fine on my vista x64 business. game gave me bad headaches and made me sick to my stomach. I made it about half way through the story. Great game but I just couldn't take it anymore.

I can't believe you actually bought a second copy...

I think it was more in spite of anything, I cant believe they gave me the excuse Vista 64 not compatible. If anything I wanted to prove to them that it did work in Vista 64 and it was a DRM issue which I pointed out.

I will not be making any future purchases from EA again.

I'll buy it when its like $10.

My thoughts as well. I still have a hard time justifying paying $30 for a game when I can wait another 6 months and pay half that. Using this philosophy also saves me money on my gaming hardware, as I don't have to constantly purchase newer parts to keep up with newer games. By the time I am ready to play a newer game, the necessary hardware is half price as well.

My thoughts as well. I still have a hard time justifying paying $30 for a game when I can wait another 6 months and pay half that. Using this philosophy also saves me money on my gaming hardware, as I don't have to constantly purchase newer parts to keep up with newer games. By the time I am ready to play a newer game, the necessary hardware is half price as well.

I just refuse to pay more than $10 for a game with a limited number of installs.

I agree that limiting the installs is ridiculous. There are legitimate reasons for installs - hardware failure, upgrades etc. Apparantly they don't take that into account

I don't buy too many games anymore but this seemed alright in the demo. For 50 bucks it didn't seem worth it but now that it's 30, I bought it. Seems that there is a lot of mixed feeligns about the full version but I'll decide how I feel when I play it. As I said the demo wasn't too bad and since I really don't have anything else going right now I might as well check it out.

Back