For 2 PC connects via a router, is there a way to avoid the 2 sec access delay?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Say there are 2 PC: Main and Client. Main is where all the data is located. These 2 PC is connected to a router. I notice whenever the "Client" goes to the Map drive of the "Main", there is a 2 sec. delay or so. The folder is located at Public under the Main PC. Is there a way to avoid it? Both PC are using Intel SSD. The router is linksys.

Needless to say, when the "Main" PC access its own data files at "Public", it's instant

can you ping one computer from the other? What's the latency?

After you open the mapped drive, is there still a latency browsing through directories or opening files?

Im assuming both connections are wireless? The delay is simply introduced by the network protocol.

I had this issue with Samba before, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I think it was related to a setting that cached or pre-loaded the directory structure of the share.

Is the 2 second delay for every Client access of Main or just the first? Thinking that maybe something is going in to power save mode and taking a couple of seconds to wake up. Even some 'green' routers will power down ports that are not in use to save a few milliwatts of power.

I am not at that location currently. But next time I go there, I'll do the ping test to see what the latency is. But after I open the mapped drive, there is no further delay.

And this is wired connection, NOT wireless. The wire is quite long, say 40 to 50 ft. or so. But w/ the speed of 100 BaseT, it shouldn't matter.

I didn't use Samba. All I did is right click the folder to have it Shared, so that the Client PC can connects to the Host.

It's not power save mode. See the person at the host is using the PC. And it's the very same SSD, of course, they are not using the same file, but it's still the same SSD. So there is no sleep mode at all.

Windows sharing is Samba/CIFS. The delay is a Windows issue, its never going to be fully instant but if it is truly 2 seconds there may be some Samba tuning you can do. Is a two second delay hurting your productivity? That's not a particularly long time to wait.

You can try making it a permanent mount, that may help.

Is performance acceptable after the initial connection? Ie after you first go to the shared folder can you navigate/open files quickly?

Windows sharing is Samba/CIFS. The delay is a Windows issue, its never going to be fully instant but if it is truly 2 seconds there may be some Samba tuning you can do. Is a two second delay hurting your productivity? That's not a particularly long time to wait.

You can try making it a permanent mount, that may help.

Is performance acceptable after the initial connection? Ie after you first go to the shared folder can you navigate/open files quickly?

The person who uses it is bother by the approx. 2 sec. delay every time. I need to go back and double check. As it's been a while. I cannot confirm whether it's a delay on the 1st time, or is it a 2 sec. delay every time the "Client PC" going to that share folder in the Host.

I think it is Everytime. So if she has to access 2 dozen files, then comes the 2 sec. delay every time per file. The delay time is the same, it's about 2 sec.

Is there a tutorial guide on tuning Samba? As I'm not verse in Permanent Mount. I do a search on the internet later.

The reason I post this thread is because another group of people, about 6 PC, wants to go back to peer to peer w/ a simple Public Folder of file sharing, and phrase out their 10 yr. old windows 2003 server. AS the benefit of hard drive in RAID is fading fast when they can easily save their data on a SSD. The speed of SSD is so fast that it has to offset any delay of an old Windows 2003 RAID server. And I don't recall what's the sec. delay from a client to access a win 2003 server, if it's about 1 to 2 sec., then there is nothing to gain to buy a new server w/ new hardware and software costs. What do you guys think?

Are they accessing it via IP or hostname? If hostname you could try adding an entry into the hosts table of the machine so it doesn't have to do any kind of name resolution. But I would imagine this isn't the problem if it's every time...

As for your question about server or client-server...there's a hundred questions we could ask. It's up to them.

There are so many things you get in benefit from having a server over distributed sharing such as central management, central backup, permissions control. A true file server can do classification, quotas, storage reports...

So many reasons to use a central file server but if you don't need them then you don't need them...

They don't need any of that. In fact, the old server has no monitor connects to it. It's just for files

Back