For 12th Year Running, NVIDIA Quadro Powers Every Oscar-Nominated Film for Best Visual Effects

Auer

[H]ard|Gawd
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/05/quadro-oscar-vfx/
For the 12th consecutive year, NVIDIA Quadro GPUs have powered the stunning visuals behind every Academy Award nominee for Best Visual Effects.

The red carpet will roll out for the five VFX-nominated films at the 92nd annual Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 9. They are:
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • The Irishman
  • The Lion King
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
For over a decade, Quadro has been behind award-winning graphics in films, bringing the latest advancements in visual effects to studios across the industry.

We use them in our PCs at work, they are kinda nice to be honest. Though my m4000 is getting a little dated now. Not sure I can get the IT department to upgrade me for bit lol

its real funny since special effects progress has been stagnant since 2009(Avatar). dont come at me with SFX snowfall that i didnt notice in dragon tattoo or blade runner. WOW SFX SNOW!! !!!! everyone has a serious case of "meh gud enuff this costs too much time and $$$" CG effects in modern movies are always just a little bit worse than avatar. the smurfs in avatar look better than thanos. the smurfs in avatar looks better than entire lion king. at this point when watching lion king it should be indistinguishable from a bbc doc about lions. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT???? RoS looks like a video game. 1917 i havent seen so maybe 1917 secretly has avatar level SFX and monsters and aliens that i missed in the trailer, but probably not. its probably nominated for the 1-shot gimmick and show CGI extras painted on the background. WOOP-EEE.

I WANT TO BELIEVE IT WHY DID SPECIAL EFFECTS STOP GETTING BETTER AFTER AVATAR IT MUST BE NVIDIA FAULT AND THEIR STUPID QUADRaS

I've been on a "practical stunts" film kick lately and now I can't watch a CG movie without just seeing a bunch of actors in front of a green screen, or talking to a tennis ball on a stick that represents the monster/bad guy.

Most popular movies of the practical type would be Fury Road, John Wick, MI6 - while assisted by CGI contain practical effects and real people, many cases the actors, doing real stunts. The difference is huge.

Last edited:
I've been on a "practical stunts" film kick lately and now I can't watch a CG movie without just seeing a bunch of actors in front of a green screen, or talking to a tennis ball on a stick that represents the monster/bad guy.

Fury Road, John Wick, MI6 - while assisted by CGI contain practical effects and real people, many cases the actors, doing real stunts. The difference is huge.
One of the reasons I still think Winter Soldier is the best MCU film, though they still push the CGI puke a little far in the ending. The highway fight sequence is one of the best action scenes put to film in the last decade. With this and the John Wick series I'm of the opinion that more stunt coordinators should become movie directors.

I gave up on Superhero movies right around the first Avengers, but that does look very visceral, a quality I think is lacking in most Marvel movies. It definitely takes someone with stunt experience to bring action realism to the creative part of filmmaking.

I'd love to see that highway scene side by side with the one from Matrix 2, not that the latter could possibly look any goofier.

I gave up on Superhero movies right around the first Avengers, but that does look very visceral, a quality I think is lacking in most Marvel movies. It definitely takes someone with stunt experience to bring action realism to the creative part of filmmaking.

I'd love to see that highway scene side by side with the one from Matrix 2, not that the latter could possibly look any goofier.
That feeling is definitely missing in most super hero movies. I had come to realize actually not long after that movie that super heroes work really well in illustrations, but not so much in real life. I enjoyed Captain America because he was a more believable character than all the others in the MCU and that aspect led to the creation of better movies having to work within those limitations. Having to bring in the more fantastical elements really killed the kind of enthusiasm I had for seeing the other films.

If you look at the BTS for Matrix Reloaded you'll actually see that there was quite a bit of practical effects in the scene, including building their own stretch of highway for the movie since none of the cities they asked allowed them time to use an existing roadway. I think that for the time it was made they actually did an acceptable job of mixing the practical and CGI together.

One of the reasons I still think Winter Soldier is the best MCU film, though they still push the CGI puke a little far in the ending. The highway fight sequence is one of the best action scenes put to film in the last decade. With this and the John Wick series I'm of the opinion that more stunt coordinators should become movie directors.

totally agree. they madea great spy/action movie with an awesome bad guy. tbh i wish there was no redford and winter soldier was the mastermind too

i highly agree:)

For over a decade, Quadro has been behind award-winning graphics in films, bringing the latest advancements in visual effects to studios across the industry.
I would think that software had much more to do with it. Quadro mostly made it faster. It's still 99% shit compared to something like the 1993's Jurassic Park.

A lot of 3d pre-rendered stuff used to be mostly CPU based. So I'm curious, in the past few years how much of the CG special effects we saw on film was actually computed by a GPU and not a CPU?

The problem with people ragging on CG in this thread is that they don't even realize that the films they laud as being amazing for practical effects ACTUALLY use an obscene amount of CGI.

You don't notice good CGI.
I don't think they didn't realize, just didn't bother stating the obvious. It still stands that no CGI can come close to practical stuff. One day we'll get there, but not soon.

Last edited:
Jurassic Park is still leaps better than almost all modern CGI. CGI isn't there yet, or if it is, these companies dont have the budget to make it as realistic as they could.

The problem with people ragging on CG in this thread is that they don't even realize that the films they laud as being amazing for practical effects ACTUALLY use an obscene amount of CGI.

Exactly. Making of Mad Max (Fury Road) shows this. Or rather doesn't show it? Anyway, it makes your point for you.

A lot of 3d pre-rendered stuff used to be mostly CPU based. So I'm curious, in the past few years how much of the CG special effects we saw on film was actually computed by a GPU and not a CPU?
Pixar has been using NVIDIA GPU rendering farms since at least 2014. DreamWorks since 2012. Industrial Light & Magic also uses NVIDIA, but I'm not sure of when they started using them.

Nobody is talking about a complete lack of CGI. We were talking about movies in which the action is supported by the CGI, not dominated by it. To believe that any movie these days is done without any help from CGI is supremely ignorant.

I pretty clearly said assisted by CGI, meaning in instances where practical is absolutely undoable. While Keanu is a dedicated actor, being hit by multiple cars going 30MPH+ in the John Wick movies probably isn't within his ability to survive. Same for shooting people in the face - you can't aim blanks at people, especially and obviously the head, so of course the gunshots are all CGI, as are most of the weapons (knives and such) when aimed at people.

As for Fury Road, every single vehicle was real and fully functional. The two engines on the antagonist's vehicle worked. Crashes were done by stuntmen then filled out with CGI. You have to be deliberately obtuse to claim there's no difference between real trucks jumping 50+ feet in the air and things like Jumanji where not a single animal or location is real. Even some of the clothing is fake.

Last edited:
I pretty clearly said assisted by CGI, meaning in instances where practical is absolutely undoable. While Keanu is a dedicated actor, being hit by multiple cars going 30MPH+ in the John Wick movies probably isn't within his ability to survive. Same for shooting people in the face - you can't aim blanks at people, especially and obviously the head, so of course the gunshots are all CGI, as are most of the weapons when aimed at people.

As for Fury Road, every single vehicle was real and fully functional. The two engines on the antagonist's vehicle worked. Crashes were done by stuntmen then filled out with CGI. You have to be deliberately obtuse to claim there's no difference between real trucks jumping 50+ feet in the air and things like Jumanji where not a single animal or location is real. Even some of the clothing is fake.
yeah for the john wick movies I am pretty sure they use airsoft rifles.

--EDIT--
I just looked it up they do not even use airsoft weapons as they could cause an injury if they were mistakenly loaded, most movie studios use a company called Independent Studio Services who crafts completely non functional weapon replicas complete with all the correct movements and machining but lacking any firing components. So no blanks no noise and no ejections of any sort. So they are 100% CGI for any muzzle flashes and such, even shell ejections are added after the fact as having casings around the set is a tripping hazard.

Last edited:
Back