Foolish to go with z87 instead of z97?

BlueWeasel

Limp Gawd
Currently running an overclocked 2500k on a Z77.

I'm considering upgrading the board and going with a 4790k. I know that the upgrade won't affect gaming much, but multi-threaded performance would be an improvement. The primary reason is I can sell my current CPU + MB and the out of pocket cost to upgrade to z87/z97 and a 4790k would be approximately $300. Even less if I bought off the FS/FT forum.

I don't think the features of z97 are worth it to me and a good z87 would do just fine. Does z97 provide a significant future/upgrade path?

If you can get a real good deal on a z87 sure, jump on it. I got an ECS z87 matx for $30 to go with a pentium anniversary. I too am on a 2500k z77 combo, but I am waiting for August and Skylake 6700K and Z170 mainboard.

I'm considering upgrading the board and going with a 4790k. I know that the upgrade won't affect gaming much, but multi-threaded performance would be an improvement. The primary reason is I can sell my current CPU + MB and the out of pocket cost to upgrade to z87/z97 and a 4790k would be approximately $300. Even less if I bought off the FS/FT forum.

I don't think the features of z97 are worth it to me and a good z87 would do just fine. Does z97 provide a significant future/upgrade path?

Thats what I did. Selling my Sandy Bridge system pretty much paid for a Haswell upgrade. Not much different between x87/x97, unless you want M.2 and/or sata express.

Performance has been flat and old tech is holding its prices, sell to the right person and you wont be out much difference for the new.

Performance has been flat and old tech is holding its prices, sell to the right person and you wont be out much difference for the new.

I'm thinking about selling my Core i7-3770K and upgrading to Haswell. I'd also like to sell my GPU. Of course, this all depends on how good of a price I can get for my CPU & GPU.

Where are the best places to find someone to sell used computer equipment to for a good price?

Why not just buy a 2600k instead?

That's a good point. For both gaming and multi-thread performance, I don't have a good reason. I could upgrade from an overclocked 2500K to a 2700K for less than $100.

I think you can make that swap for a lot less than that. You should be able to sell the 2500k in the $120 range. I know most on here like the latest and greatest thing but I still don't feel haswell i7 has much of an advantage over sandy bridge especially after OCing.

I think you can make that swap for a lot less than that. You should be able to sell the 2500k in the $120 range. I know most on here like the latest and greatest thing but I still don't feel haswell i7 has much of an advantage over sandy bridge especially after OCing.

I was able to crack open the 4790K @ 4.8GHz on air within very reasonable temps with gaming load hitting 73'C

I don't have any experience ocing my cousins i5 2500K as he fried his P67 EVGA Micro and than the computer shop swapped him for a whole new system and an i5 rig, hes ashamed of it and wont even tell me what he has now.

Haswell is nice, was a major jump from my Lynnfield i5 760 @ 4.2GHz

If you have a Micro Center near by, then that's your best bet for a combo deal.

I picked a i7-4790K & a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MB for $354.98 My MB is mATX, but that's want I wanted.

This is just me, but I've owned/built dozens of computers, and I have never just upgraded a cpu. If you can get a good deal on a z87 that meets your needs...go for it. When I upgrade my 4770k the 1150 socket will be long past its prime. :)

Unfortunately, the nearest MC is 5 hours away. I'm not sure that's a bad thing either. :D

Blue: I hear you. My so-called nearest Micro Center in 45 miles away. Sounds like a short trip, but it isn't. It's in Cambridge, just across the river Charles from Boston. Traffic can be brutal.

I never buy anything from them other then their CPU/MB combo deals. People might complain about Newegg, but there is no sales tax & they ship fast! Good luck in your search. BTW....The i7-4790K is a sweet CPU. I'll be keeping it for over 3 years.

Back